CENTERPOINT SNIPER 370 CROSSBOW REVIEW

TheFieldArcher

Ordered. I was wrong, it was in fact available until this morning (just sold out), and it was $219.99 minus $10 for any order over $100 from that outfitter.

$209.99 shipped for this thing is so cheap it would have been downright irresponsible not to buy it. 

Will still be out with compound on october 1st but I'm looking forward to playing with it.

6 minutes ago, Core said:

Ordered. I was wrong, it was in fact available until this morning (just sold out), and it was $219.99 minus $10 for any order over $100 from that outfitter.

$209.99 shipped for this thing is so cheap it would have been downright irresponsible not to buy it. 

Will still be out with compound on october 1st but I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Can't beat it for the price! It's a darn good crossbow! IMO, better than some others at twice the price! Have fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to keep the one I bought, and picked up the draw rope and sighted it in this morning. Man, what a great crossbow. Pretty quiet, great features and it is super accurate. I shot it out to 50 and had tennis ball sized groups off of a rest. Given the right conditions, 50 is doable with this bow. I picked up 3 Easton Bloodline arrows, 125gr field points and a set of Nockturnals as well. They shoot worlds better than the junk arrows it came with. At 30 yards, they were penetrating half way down the shaft on my large bag target. 

Im looking forward to popping some 125gr Rage Crossbow heads and getting into the woods with it this November. 

692A4A6F-76D9-4BC8-AC31-D20EF4C70F84.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to making a roller to test for straightness. I only tested one arrow so far that came with the centerpoint (the tenpoint ones) and man is that thing ever wobbly, just crazy. I will probably get some good arrows in the next week or so.

4 minutes ago, Core said:

I finally got around to making a roller to test for straightness. I only tested one arrow so far that came with the centerpoint (the tenpoint ones) and man is that thing ever wobbly, just crazy. I will probably get some good arrows in the next week or so.

Just one word of caution, with the heavier arrows and broadheads I went with, it made it so that the factory BDC scope is no longer correct at 40 and 50 yards. Youll have to hold those dots a bit over your intended target spot. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind. The factory arrows they send with it are garbage. Im keeping mine just to unload the bow with after a hunt.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Just one word of caution, with the heavier arrows and broadheads I went with, it made it so that the factory BDC scope is no longer correct at 40 and 50 yards. Youll have to hold those dots a bit over your intended target spot. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind. The factory arrows they send with it are garbage. Im keeping mine just to unload the bow with after a hunt.

Got it! The weird  thing about the factory scope is that the top line is 20, then 30, then 45 (!), then 55 (!). At least that's what the instructions say. I know I should go with heavier arrows but I am thinking even at 370 (which is quite light) they're going to penetrate like crazy.

3 minutes ago, Core said:

Got it! The weird  thing about the factory scope is that the top line is 20, then 30, then 45 (!), then 55 (!). At least that's what the instructions say. I know I should go with heavier arrows but I am thinking even at 370 (which is quite light) they're going to penetrate like crazy.

The 45 yard dot is pretty close at 40 with the heavier arrows, I just hold the intended target at the bottom of the circle. The 55 yard dot is off by a good 5 inches, so I have to hold over quite a bit with that one.

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The 45 yard dot is pretty close at 40 with the heavier arrows, I just hold the intended target at the bottom of the circle. The 55 yard dot is off by a good 5 inches, so I have to hold over quite a bit with that one.

What arrows are you shooting now? Are these just "standard" 20"?

I've used the victory decimator arrows for vertical and they are cheap but I'd be okay dropping a bit more money on good Xbow arrows as I know I won't shoot enough to lose arrows with the frequency I do with the vertical.

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Also, I modded my quiver a bit, as I hated taking arrows out of it and putting them back in. I used a razor knife to cut the rubber arrow holder off that is closest to the "cup" part of the quiver. It works much better now.

Thanks! Gotta do that now!  It's a pain now the way it is. You just saved me buying a new quiver!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Core said:

What arrows are you shooting now? Are these just "standard" 20"?

I've used the victory decimator arrows for vertical and they are cheap but I'd be okay dropping a bit more money on good Xbow arrows as I know I won't shoot enough to lose arrows with the frequency I do with the vertical.

Im using the Easton Bloodlines 20" arrow (10.5 gpi) with Nockturnal lighted nocks (35 gr) on them. For broadheads Ill be using the Rage Crossbow X heads in 125 grain. If you add in the @ 25 grains for the broadhead insert, and say 10 grains for each fletch it comes out to around a 425 grain total weight arrow. They should hit pretty hard. Im not sure of the gpi on the factory arrows.

You can see the Eastons in the pic above, with the red and white fletchings.

• Like 1

I've been shooting this a lot in the past couple of days, with a few different arrows. Sometimes I'm grouping insanely tight and other times the groups are extremely sloppy, like 1.5" variance at 15 yards from a rest which I think is unacceptable. The trigger is despicable, but I'm getting used to it.

The scope is not great, with a very fuzzy picture--I have a really hard time totally nailing down exactly where I should be viewing it, and if my eye is not dead center I can see the crosshairs wave around the target quite a lot. With the nikons on my guns I never have a confidence problem knowing exactly when everything is aligned. I absolutely hate to buy another scope right now but I'm thinking about the nikon Xbow scope. It's not cheap, though, but I could use it for years and years I guess.

• Like 1

I've been shooting this a lot in the past couple of days, with a few different arrows. Sometimes I'm grouping insanely tight and other times the groups are extremely sloppy, like 1.5" variance at 15 yards from a rest which I think is unacceptable. The trigger is despicable, but I'm getting used to it.
The scope is not great, with a very fuzzy picture--I have a really hard time totally nailing down exactly where I should be viewing it, and if my eye is not dead center I can see the crosshairs wave around the target quite a lot. With the nikons on my guns I never have a confidence problem knowing exactly when everything is aligned. I absolutely hate to buy another scope right now but I'm thinking about the nikon Xbow scope. It's not cheap, though, but I could use it for years and years I guess.

It's a bottom end Xbow, many I owners like you are realizing that a sub 300$ bow can cost double that by the time you get usable bots and optics yet you still have a sub 300$ Xbow with a terrible trigger. Makes a much better 5-600$ Xbow not seem so bad in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It's a bottom end Xbow, many I owners like you are realizing that a sub 300$ bow can cost double that by the time you get usable bots and optics yet you still have a sub 300$ Xbow with a terrible trigger. Makes a much better 5-600$ Xbow not seem so bad in the long run.

You might be right. I may be expecting too much out of it. I wonder what it is capable of group-wise, though.

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is advice I wish I had taken. I got a bottom end crossbow (actually got it for Christmas but showed the wife what one I wanted). The bolts that came with it were junk...Threw them out and purchased good ones. Took it to the range to site in and the scope was so poor I had to buy another one. (got the Nikon crossbow scope). Now I have a bunch of $$ in a POS crossbow. I would normally never purchase such a bottom line hunting item but the stupid season NYS came up with is what screwed me. I didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ on a hunting implement that I was going to get to  use twice a year. (I usually am only able to hunt Sat or Sun mornings this time of year) I should have just said who cares about crossbow and kept hunting with my bow. At least until full inclusion happens and then spent some $$$.

3 hours ago, ApexerER said:

This is advice I wish I had taken. I got a bottom end crossbow (actually got it for Christmas but showed the wife what one I wanted). The bolts that came with it were junk...Threw them out and purchased good ones. Took it to the range to site in and the scope was so poor I had to buy another one. (got the Nikon crossbow scope). Now I have a bunch of $$ in a POS crossbow. I would normally never purchase such a bottom line hunting item but the stupid season NYS came up with is what screwed me. I didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ on a hunting implement that I was going to get to  use twice a year. (I usually am only able to hunt Sat or Sun mornings this time of year) I should have just said who cares about crossbow and kept hunting with my bow. At least until full inclusion happens and then spent some $$$.

But a lot of good Xbows come with crap scopes. And if you ever buy one that doesn't you can sell its scope or the nikon. The nikon is a scope you can keep forever with a lifetime warranty. You also now have some good bolts.

I just compared the nikon on my MZ to the one on the sniper 370 and hahaha, suffice to say I'm glad dicks' $20 of $100 came in the mail today. Off to get a proper scope for this thing (gonna get the Nikon also, even though the BDC is set for 305 and not adjustable so I'll need to use their spot-on software [which is okay but not amazing so basically will have to field test]). The stock scope it comes with is dark and the only part that is in focus is the middle section and even then it's still a bit fuzzy. Whereas with the nikon, very clear sight picture with sharp concise outer circle, properly focused everywhere, and bright. I also can't shake the feeling that the stock scope may be shifting a bit from zero. It might not be, but I just don't have confidence in a scope this cheap not to shift. The nikon will hold zero, I am positive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Core said:

But a lot of good Xbows come with crap scopes. And if you ever buy one that doesn't you can sell its scope or the nikon. The nikon is a scope you can keep forever with a lifetime warranty. You also now have some good bolts.

I just compared the nikon on my MZ to the one on the sniper 370 and hahaha, suffice to say I'm glad dicks' $20 of $100 came in the mail today. Off to get a proper scope for this thing (gonna get the Nikon also, even though the BDC is set for 305 and not adjustable so I'll need to use their spot-on software [which is okay but not amazing so basically will have to field test]). The stock scope it comes with is dark and the only part that is in focus is the middle section and even then it's still a bit fuzzy. Whereas with the nikon, very clear sight picture with sharp concise outer circle, properly focused everywhere, and bright. I also can't shake the feeling that the stock scope may be shifting a bit from zero. It might not be, but I just don't have confidence in a scope this cheap not to shift. The nikon will hold zero, I am positive.

You are right Core....From all the reviews I have read the Crossbow you purchased is a pretty decent crossbow for the money so if you purchase a new scope it may be great for a long time. I got a Barnett Gamecrusher. (I fell for one of those Dicks/FS adds you were complaining about in another thread) It was on sale Black Friday for a super cheap price (can't remember for sure but I want to say $299 Reg. $699). Instead of doing research I was like wow, what a great deal to get me a crossbow for a stupid two week season. I showed my wife and said if you are looking for something to get me for Christmas I would love this. So she got it for me since she is a great wife. Not only is the thing almost always $299....It is loud, has plastic rail, a plastic arrow retainer, it even has a plastic trigger. It seems to shoot ok and groups ok. I am hoping to kill a deer with it this season since I have never killed a deer with a crossbow. But I feel like I should have waited and purchases something much better. And the fact that my wife got it for me as a gift means it is going to be even harder to upgrade because I will hear...what is wrong with the one I got you....It was a spur of the moment mistake that I usually don't make and I think that is what aggravates me the most....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

You are right Core....From all the reviews I have read the Crossbow you purchased is a pretty decent crossbow for the money so if you purchase a new scope it may be great for a long time. I got a Barnett Gamecrusher. (I fell for one of those Dicks/FS adds you were complaining about in another thread) It was on sale Black Friday for a super cheap price (can't remember for sure but I want to say $299 Reg. $699). Instead of doing research I was like wow, what a great deal to get me a crossbow for a stupid two week season. I showed my wife and said if you are looking for something to get me for Christmas I would love this. So she got it for me since she is a great wife. Not only is the thing almost always $299....It is loud, has plastic rail, a plastic arrow retainer, it even has a plastic trigger. It seems to shoot ok and groups ok. I am hoping to kill a deer with it this season since I have never killed a deer with a crossbow. But I feel like I should have waited and purchases something much better. And the fact that my wife got it for me as a gift means it is going to be even harder to upgrade because I will hear...what is wrong with the one I got you....It was a spur of the moment mistake that I usually don't make and I think that is what aggravates me the most....

I get that. I think you can get a deer with it :)

I put the bolt XR scope on my sniper yesterday and what a difference. I want to say it's already grouping better (it is at home), but I won't know for sure until I get out there at the range at lunch, but the stock scope is absolute crap. I can see the target clearly now

I got an insane deal on my Xbow: $210 shipped, new. But now with another $140 into a scope and some bolts I'm at the same price as a barnett white tail ($399). I assume its scope is doable (though the nikon's is certainly better), and I'm positive its trigger is better than the sniper 370's (I doubt any hunting xbow on the market has a trigger as bad). 

• Like 1