CENTERPOINT SNIPER 370 CROSSBOW REVIEW

TheFieldArcher

11 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Eddie, it is the Nikon Bolt XR....I believe it is the only crossbow scope Nikon makes

That is true. It's too bad also because this scope came out 6 (?) years ago and is set to a 305 FPS arrow. This means that if you're shooting a faster arrow the reticle BDC marks are way off. Nikon Spot on application calculates my 20/30/40/50 on the scope as actually in real life being about 20/30/47/60. This would make a 40 yard shot a bit harder to make because it's a large amount of yards to guess. Nikon needs to come out with a newer scope.

The nice thing about this scope and all the nikon scopes these days is the zero reset turrets. Once you're zeroed you pull the top up, twist it until 0 is lined up with the hash mark, and drop it back down. That way if you have to adjust you know exactly where zero was. The unfortunate thing about the spoton app is that, unlike with bullets calculated, nikon will not tell also tell you the amount of drop your arrow is doing with an associated number of clicks. On their other scopes they will so you can make a nice chart for yourself. That way if you had to take a 40 yard shot and you had time (e.g. bedded dear) you could dial it down exactly instead of holding over between a 30 yard and 47 yard mark.

Anyway, on to today. 20 yards bench today 3 shots with Victory Decimator 20" arrows:

Bolt1.thumb.jpg.ada92e36679db776ecc70e7acd7be61e.jpg

Nice group, but a half inch to the right. Two clicks on the nikon (1 click = 1/4" at 20 yards, not the normal 100 you see on most scopes). At this point I'm confident I'm dialed in @ 20, so I set the turrets at 0, and take a three shot group with the lighted victory decimator arrows. These are the same arrows but come in 20 grains heavier. That appeared to change their behavior:

Bolt2.thumb.jpg.2217d4d710f939a8ea9c137eb7934242.jpg

12 and 3 o clock shots I was aiming for the small circles. Again a nice group (less than an inch), all approximately 1" above and to the left of the impact from the non-lighted arrows.

Four clicks right, four clicks down ought to have the lighted on the money--but I didn't reset the turrets. I then move immediately to 30 yards holding over with the first BDC circle. Here's my 30 yard group with those same lighted arrows:

Bolt3.thumb.jpg.3ecc8e76efbad42e019adfe8839c2bad.jpg

Maybe I got lucky today, but after initial dialing in I had 3 superb groups consisting of three arrows each out of this cheap Xbow with the nikon scope. And what I love now is that the turrets are four right and four down--i.e. set for the lighted nocks. I know that if I turn the turrets back to zero I'll be dialed in again with the non-lighted, slightly lighter arrows. Once I get the time I'll likely remove the nocks from the non-lighted and add 20 grains of weight to them.

Next day or two I'll take it out again, this time confirm that the third BDC circle is at the 47 yards estimated by the spot-on technology and do some additional broadhead testing to confirm POI.

Once again the wisdom of replacing the scope that comes on weapons is affirmed. I had some decent groups on the stock scope but I'd get some fliers that made no sense. Moreover, it was just dark and fishbowly. The nikon barely fits the stock mounts, but it does. Not even a hair to spare between the scope and the rail, but it does fit :)

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I plan to replace mine next year with a mil dot scope. I’m not a fan of bdc reticles. 

I'm not for rifle and I wouldn't use the BDC on those. I do wish this scope had the variable feature so that you can set FPS and then the dots will space out properly. But for $130 + tax ($20 off dicks coupon!) a scope with quality optics and lifetime warranty doesn't exist as far as I know--at least not locally and I needed this yesterday.

• Like 1

Best upgrade for the Sniper 370: jam up that damn adjustable stock. I knew it was clicky and made noise but wasn't sure it would matter because I am careful. I got a deer today with the sniper, but it was so early in the day I thought let's try for a double (and I could see the first was down so no tracking to worry about). An hour later a doe comes into range, perfect shot. I shoulder it. Click. There is the stock seating. And there's that white tail. I've since run some tape around it and the lever so that it's quiet and won't cost me again.

As for the deer, it was a pretty small deer in truth, but the rage 2 blade blew right through it for probably the best vitals shot I've ever had, at 30 yards.

• 4 weeks later...

I got two deer with my 370 this year, a buck and doe.  Both deer were less than 20 yards and never heard the stock make noise.  I do plan to have some of the creep taken out of the trigger this summer.  I have no plans to trade this in for a more expensive model.  This thing is fun!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken one deer with my 370.  I like this crossbow, and for my needs I have no desire to upgrade.  I have my Crossman scope dialed so that the cross hairs are zero'd at 25 yards.  This puts my arrows at 1" high at 20, and 1" low at 30 yards.  Out to 40 yards, I use the bottom reticle, and its spot on.  I dont think I can split any more hairs with it.  Unless this scope totally breaks, I'm not going to upgrade any time soon.

I am shooting Piledriver bolts, with 100 grain tips.

The only major complaint next to the adjustable stock rattle, is the sling mount ring...that thing rattles like crazy, I have a rubber band wrapped around it to quiet it down.  The sling that comes with it is borderline feeble.  I may switch it out with my muzzleloader sling for next season, as its not so stiff.  I do need to figure out a good mounting solution for my action camera so I can try to get some videos in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

I have taken one deer with my 370.  I like this crossbow, and for my needs I have no desire to upgrade.  I have my Crossman scope dialed so that the cross hairs are zero'd at 25 yards.  This puts my arrows at 1" high at 20, and 1" low at 30 yards.  Out to 40 yards, I use the bottom reticle, and its spot on.  I dont think I can split any more hairs with it.  Unless this scope totally breaks, I'm not going to upgrade any time soon.

I am shooting Piledriver bolts, with 100 grain tips.

The only major complaint next to the adjustable stock rattle, is the sling mount ring...that thing rattles like crazy, I have a rubber band wrapped around it to quiet it down.  The sling that comes with it is borderline feeble.  I may switch it out with my muzzleloader sling for next season, as its not so stiff.  I do need to figure out a good mounting solution for my action camera so I can try to get some videos in the future.

I shoot the same set up... I actually use a short bungee cord as a xbow sling on my way in and out of my stand. That way when i am climbing i can hook it to my ladder platform easily and climb safely the rest of the way then pull it up.. Also, i was able to get my tactacam mounted right above the scope. Takes great video. Good luck

20171110_073459_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, loworange88 said:

JRod, did you mount directly to the scope?  Or did you use a mount that connects to the rail?

It's the "gun mount" that Tactacam sells, set right on top of the scope.. A slight challenge getting it onto that stock scope but once you tighten it in it's pretty secure

20171103_214121.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I didn't get a chance to use mine last year. Will get it out of the case this weekend and shoot a few bolts. I did pick up a Nikon Bolt scope from Jdubs, last spring. But decided to put that on the Barnett that my grandson will use. So will use the stock scope, this year that came with the center point. It was slightly better than the one that came with the Raptor.  Looking to try some lighted nocks too with this crossbow. Picked up some NAP killzone 100g broadheads to go on Bonecrusher bolts. I would really like to get this out for crossbow season this year, to see how it does on a hunt. 

Had a lot fun target shooting it last year, after picking it up from Savagehunter. Also, very accurate and consistent.  For the money, these crossbows are awesome!

Will have to try decocking, like in the video that fieldarcher posted! Just saw that!

Anyone else use the Centerpoint Sniper last year, and have success? Anyone getting one ready for this year?

• Like 1

I discharge into a target after a sit. Took a 46 yd shot at a buck last year.. Missed as he jumped. That's about max for me, 45 yds with my sniper 370.. With my Mathews about 35 yds.. Make sure you shoot broadheads out of the xbow as they fly dramatically different than field points, in my experience. I shoot muzzy trocar which the flight is very similar...

36 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

Due in part to the reviews of you folks, I am awaiting the arrival of mine in the mail. Now just have to figure out the bolts and broadheads i want to shoot.

Cool!  I think you will like it.  Give us your review after setup and shooting!  

Just about any quality bolt will work fine. Heavier is better IMO. Broadheads.....most all will get the job done. Just boils down to what type and brand you have confidence in.

Edited by grampy

Ok, so I assembled my first crossbow last evening with relative ease. I also decided on CE Pile Drivers for bolts.

Now I'm torn between Muzzy Trocar 100gr or Montec G5's. Anyone have any experience with either out of a x-bow? Really very little complaints about either. Some have said the Montecs don't have the longer distance (30yds +) accuracy.

Thanks all!

I just borrowed my brothers sniper and  took it to Wyoming muleDeer hunting. I’ve shot my buddy’s ten point that cost a grand plus and I liked the sniper just as much it’s very accurate I’ll get one myself. Shot this it 47 yards clean pass through didn’t go far.

52EE90A3-5FB8-494F-BF8C-3F58EF6BFCC8.jpeg

• Like 6

Early Review Time - Finally had some time to shoot the Sniper last evening and this morning. Shot 9 times from 10 yards sighting in and getting comfortable being the first time i have ever shot a x-bow. I used the bolts which came in the package. Initially, it was shooting almost 8" low but dead center so I had it sighted relatively quickly before dark.

I couldn't get out of bed early enough this morning and shot another 12 bolts from 20 yards. I used the pile drivers this time and after one sight adjustment, I was shooting decently. The pile drivers are significantly heavier than what came with the x-bow and are clearly superior quality as expected.

Overall, i am very impressed with the x-bow, but i am not one to really ask as it's the one and only i have ever shot. But as a newb, it was very easy to assemble, mount scope on, and utilize.

And as an aside, i went with the Muzzy 100gr. I will advise when I shoot them.

I pulled the one on the right which was my 3rd shot of this set.

IMG_0780.jpg.19602c4b532c47a19164a2366f261cb1.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Do you guys still recommend this xbow?  I read up on it, and some really hate the trigger and the scope.  Would you consider it ready to hunt out of the box (with better bolts)? Anyone have the trigger mod done?  It seems like alot of bow for a little $$.  Guess I'm wondering if it is too good to be true.

22 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Do you guys still recommend this xbow?  I read up on it, and some really hate the trigger and the scope.  Would you consider it ready to hunt out of the box (with better bolts)? Anyone have the trigger mod done?  It seems like alot of bow for a little $$.  Guess I'm wondering if it is too good to be true.

You could hunt with it out of the box, but I wouldn't.

I strongly recommend ditching the scope, but to be fair any entry crossbow is going to have a scope that should be replaced. If you ditch this and go with a Nikon Bolt XR you'll have way, way better clarity and you'll also know that the scope is going to hold zero. However, that scope is made for a slower arrow, so at least with my setup the top reticle is set for 20, the second is for about 30, but where things fall apart is beyond that, the next ought to be for 40 but in my case is more like 47 yards. You'll want to shoot at various different distances during practice to confirm all this and use a range finder of course.

I found the stock bolts/arrows okay but I replaced them with the pretty cheap decimator ones you can buy at dicks/field and stream, 22". The stock arrows I put on an arrow spinner and they are hilariously wobbly. How much that matters in practice I don't know. The thing is very accurate. I'm now down two deer with mine, nice pass through both times with rage 2" broadheads.

Currently I'm running rage hypodermic with the black collars and the deer I got at 25 yards a week back the broadhead opened nicely. I found that the G5 fixed broadheads just didn't fly close enough to field tips for my satisfaction.

As for speed, my total weight between the decimators, 100 gr Rage broadheads, and lighted nocks are around 435 grains.

I had the xbow chronographhed a few weeks back and was pretty consistently getting about 345. Remember, though, these are heavier arrows, so I'm happy with that speed.

The trigger is a total piece of crap, its travel is about 3 miles and it grinds and binds the whole way. You just have to take your time on the pull and really hold steady. 

If you buy this go to ebay and buy new. I see some now for $250 new. I got mine for around $230 last year so that's reasonable. No tax, free shipping, official Crosman store has a bunch available currently.

I don't think the Xbow is too good to be true, not if you get a nice ebay price online. Just makes me wonder why the other xbows are so pricey. I assume (not positive) it has one of the worst triggers out there, which some people would certainly baulk at, but it is capable of great accuracy, repeatably, and it runs arrows very fast.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

there is a post earlier in this thread where there is a link to a guy on archerytalk who i think you can buy the mod for trigger from.
i have not done it yet,  original trigger it is a pain in the azz, but it works.
Thank you.
Will most likely order one asap.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk