CENTERPOINT SNIPER 370 CROSSBOW REVIEW

TheFieldArcher

Overall, you could hunt with one of these stock out of the box, and be successful killing a deer. Yes the scope that comes with it is not great, but better than the scope that came with my Barnett Raptor. The Nikon Bolt is an awesome crossbow scope and worth the upgrade. Bolts I use are the Bonecrushers tipped with NAP Slingblades. Almost perfect with the field points on accuracy. Yes the trigger is terrible compared to a decent rifle. But I except it as it is. Lots of creep, so I just pull slowly and steadily till it goes off. Still hits where I aim!

I still say for the money, this is the best crossbow out there. I have shot other crossbows, that cost much more, and they did not shoot any better. IMO.

If full inclusion happens, I will sell and upgrade the Barnett Raptor. But I'm keeping the Centerpoint Sniper 370.

• Like 3

I took the dive on 2 of these (one for my dad) this year!  Went with the black eagle executioner bolts and rage 2 blades.  I must say I'm impressed, once they got dialed in they are tack drivers. Cost about 900 to set up 2 of them, including a target to keep at the cabin for unloading.  I'd be really curious to see how the trigger replacement goes, damn thing is creepy.   This picture is at 50 from a sandbag bench rest.  

20181019_123847.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I took the dive on 2 of these (one for my dad) this year!  Went with the black eagle executioner bolts and rage 2 blades.  I must say I'm impressed, once they got dialed in they are tack drivers. Cost about 900 to set up 2 of them, including a target to keep at the cabin for unloading.  I'd be really curious to see how the trigger replacement goes, damn thing is creepy.   This picture is at 50 from a sandbag bench rest.  

20181019_123847.jpg

2" group at 50 yards, nobody will complain about that! Is that stock scope on them?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys/gals who are using the 370 with the nikon bolt XR

How are you finding the reticle drop? The Spot on app claims that my crossbow, which I've chronographed at 345 shooting the ~440 grain arrows should be about 31 yards second reticle and 47 (!) third, instead of the 40 it's calibrated to with a 305 FPS arrow, then 62 for the fourth.

In practice I find that if I have the second lining up dead on at 30, the third is dead on at about 41 yards, and the fourth is closer to 57 or so (I ran out of time and could not confirm), but it's definitely not 20/30/47, more like 20/31/41.

19 minutes ago, Core said:

Guys/gals who are using the 370 with the nikon bolt XR

How are you finding the reticle drop? The Spot on app claims that my crossbow, which I've chronographed at 345 shooting the ~440 grain arrows should be about 31 yards second reticle and 47 (!) third, instead of the 40 it's calibrated to with a 305 FPS arrow, then 62 for the fourth.

In practice I find that if I have the second lining up dead on at 30, the third is dead on at about 41 yards, and the fourth is closer to 57 or so (I ran out of time and could not confirm), but it's definitely not 20/30/47, more like 20/31/41.

I have the Bolt XR on my Barnett Gamecrusher and found basically the same thing as you Core.  Haven't chronoed it but it supposedly shoots 330fps. I found siting it in at 20 that the next lines were only an inch maybe two high  at 30 and 40 yds. I was happy with that. I have shot it a few times at 50 yds and it seems like it is higher than the inch or so at 30 and 40. I don't plan on taking any shots farther than my bow range of 30 to 35 yds with it. I feel very confident that if I do my job the crossbow/scope will do their job at the 20, 30 and 40 marks. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well making my big purchase for the year today.  Buying this xbow off amazon for 238. Seems like for the money i cant go wrong.   Hoping my siblings will help pitch in so we can get my dad one for his fathers day gift or  bday.  

Good luck!!  It's a great crossbow!  Use the stock arrows to get on the target then fine tune with something better.

Don't forget to join the NY Crossbow Coalition.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well making my big purchase for the year today.  Buying this xbow off amazon for 238. Seems like for the money i cant go wrong.   Hoping my siblings will help pitch in so we can get my dad one for his fathers day gift or  bday.  

Great choice! This is one of the rarest occasions. When you actually get more for your money, than what you paid.

Have fun!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Word of advice, and I think someone else on here mentioned it :

The butt, and the sling, are noisy.  I'm pretty sure the sling clinking on itself cost me a nice 8 this year.  So, I recommend duck taping said places to muffle it.

Yes! Mine is taped up with that camo hockey tape stuff.

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

The butt, and the sling, are noisy.  I'm pretty sure the sling clinking on itself cost me a nice 8 this year.  So, I recommend duck taping said places to muffle it.

Did that last season .

• 5 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 9:08 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

This is a must. After also spooking a deer when shouldering this I went home and found the permanent stock length and duct taped it in firm so no more wiggling.

I just took the sling off all together and taped up the butt.

Year two with my CP370. Shooting Pile Driver with Montec G5's. The field tips and BH don't shoot the same but the BH are right on the money.

How often would you advise restringing? Based upon visual wear or do you all have a set time frame or number of shots, etc... I faithfully wax the string.

Edited by SilentStalker
spelling

I just took the cling off all together and taped up the butt.
Year two with my CP370. Shooting Pile Driver with Montec G5's. The field tips and BH don't shoot the same but the BH are right on the money.
How often would you advise restringing? Based upon visual wear or do you all have a set time frame or number of shots, etc... I faithfully wax the string.

Didn't feel like going back through 145 posts.....so just wondering what you taped up on the butt stock to silence it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Didn't feel like going back through 145 posts.....so just wondering what you taped up on the butt stock to silence it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I just wrapped the front portion of the butt and also where the number is for the length the adjustment. Hold it vertically from the foregrip and shake it a little, you will see/hear where it rattles and needs to be taped.

• Like 2

I taped around where the stock slides on the "buffer tube", and then also taped the stock lever in snug. I also got rid of the sling.

I do not plan on replacing string until it looks worn. I also wax it and use the rail lube.

I found that the G5 montec were off several inches at 40 yards vs field points, which is why I won't use them. I'd be okay adjusting for a different BH impact, but it's not just that impact was off, but it was also inconsistent. Realistically out to 30 not a huge deal but my hunting is based on confidence and I need to know that the implement is up to whatever task, hence Rage mechanicals.

32 minutes ago, Core said:

I found that the G5 montec were off several inches at 40 yards vs field points, which is why I won't use them. I'd be okay adjusting for a different BH impact, but it's not just that impact was off, but it was also inconsistent. Realistically out to 30 not a huge deal but my hunting is based on confidence and I need to know that the implement is up to whatever task, hence Rage mechanicals.

The Montecs are very consistent for me. But I started with Muzzy Trocar and they were not consistent at all. Its interesting how some of us can run with almost identical setups yet our POI's be so different sometimes.

I am a newby, but have many friends who have bowhunted for decades. They are primarily fixed guys so i steered that way.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SilentStalker said:

The Montecs are very consistent for me. But I started with Muzzy Trocar and they were not consistent at all. Its interesting how some of us can run with almost identical setups yet our POI's be so different sometimes.

I am a newby, but have many friends who have bowhunted for decades. They are primarily fixed guys so i steered that way.  

True. It's plausible that if I had been using a different arrow during these tests I'd get consistent hits. I may try some more when xbow season is near.