Muddy Woodsman or Summit Viper SD Climber

soileauj

In the process of deciding on which climber to buy. Considering the Muddy Woodsman or the Summit Viper SD. Was wondering if anyone was using either and could provide some feedback. I did a search but didn't really get an insight as to the + or - of either one. Would appreciate anyone with experience with either of these.

Thanks

Never used a climber, but have done a lot of research and contemplating. If I was going to buy one it would be the Viper SD. I'm only 170lb but for bigger guys the Goliath seems like the pick.

I haven't bought one because you can't return them, so if I don't like it I am stuck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's seems to be the way most have gone from he research I've done. I will tell you that this past weekend I put up a Muddy Hunter ladder stand and that thing is nice! Like the nylon washers provided-keeps it quite. I think that is probably I'm in the position of still considering the Woodsman but I am leaning towards the Viper. Just the fact that it's made in the USA and not china, which I didn't realize about the Muddy products before.

Thanks all for your comments and do appreciate hearing more. Hopefully this will help others make a decision if they are researching climbers.

38 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have had a Viper for a number of years now. Don't use it now as much as I did. But I have never once regretted purchasing it!  Very stable, comfortable and quiet after setting up. I have no experience with the Muddy.

Thanks Grampy-think that's my choice

I've used summit vipers for years and have no complaints. I currently have 2 of them and would buy another in a heartbeat. Once you get in a routine for setting them up or carrying them they are awesome. Quick and quiet and very versatile. Go with the summit.

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I've used summit vipers for years and have no complaints. I currently have 2 of them and would buy another in a heartbeat. Once you get in a routine for setting them up or carrying them they are awesome. Quick and quiet and very versatile. Go with the summit.

Chris do you use a fanny pack or a backpack somehow?

Yes I have a large fannypack that carries all of my essentials. When the climber is packed together I simply wrap the fannypack straps around the climber and on the inside of the climber backpack straps so that the pack portion is on the backside of the climber. Then if i need too I'll put my jacket or whatever in there too if I don't want to sweat carrying it in. I even built a 3 piece aluminum camera arm onto mine that I don't have to remove and is always there to use. I move around a lot hunting and I've grown to love my climber.

Out of the 2 I've only used the summits., I've got 2 vipers n a cobra. They are solid, climb easily, never slip, attach quickly and extremely comfortable, in fact you may fight falling asleep. Out of the climbers I've used the summits are tied for number one w another company you didn't mention Lone Wolf. 

The benefits of Lone Wolf are they're easy to put up, climb easy, don't slip, are solid same as the summit, now for the differences. They fold flat n are much less bulky to carry, very very quiet, and what I consider an asset at times is it's less comfortable. You sit up straighter n stay awake. After work sits you're not fighting sleep. 

so if those 2 interest you long all sits it's the summit, few hour half day hunts like bow season the Lone Wolf comes. 

The muddy I have no personal experience with

Edited by Bowguy 1

i have a summit and for the most part it's awesome. It gets a little heavy on longer walks and and the size makes it difficulty at times walk steeper terrain as the teeth catch my pants behind the knees sometimes. I replaced the straps and attached them as low as possible so that the climber sits as high as possible on my back. 

1 hour ago, soileauj said:

Viper has arrived. Footrest installed . Heading to the property this weekend. Looking forward to my first climb....

Thanks all for your input and hopefully others can benefit from the comments shared here.

Be sure to tie the top and bottom together  (don't want to have to shimmy down the tree if bottom slips) and take your time climbing.  Enjoy.

I know you got the summit but the muddy looks very similar in dimensions and weight. I got a summit viper sd last year and it is miles more comfortable than a hang on stand without hand rails or a back rest. It weighs 21 lbs or so and there are climbers much lighter, but the summit is exceedingly comfortable and large and feels secure and that counts for a lot.

I personally strap my bow to my back pack and rest the backpack in the back of the climber (using just the factory straps which are sufficient) and this way I can carry everything. I once was able to strap the climber to the back of my back pack but it meant the bow had to be in my hand and also it was a big wiggly.

Wish it were smaller when carrying but when iti comes a up the tree I am glad it isn't :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk