Adirondacks camping

Zem18

The title may b a little misleading as we are not roughing it, but more into "glamping" . Set up the tent this afternoon and sprayed all the seams.  Had a little refreshment afterwards too.  Headed to Fish Creek Pond (Saranac Lake area) on August 16th and it can't get here soon enough. Anyone else heading out this month to tent camp?

IMG_20160807_160216110_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160807_181210213.jpg

• Like 3

We will be going to the Catskills, Shauls, for Labor Day weekend. It was supposed to be the 4th of July, but......

We have a huge tent too, and we don't share it. I have another tent for guests. I like my space in a tent.

Plus, the farther my socks are from people after a day of hiking, or w/e, even just walking around camp cutting wood and cooking the better for everyone.

Hope you have a blast Zem, and hope you are having a great time as well TC.

Family trip TC so no time to sneak away to try where I really want to fish. Ill stick to the ponds we are staying at and hope to get some perch for a fish fry. Good luck fishing with WCJ. Salmon River is a great fishery. 

Thanks everyone. I'm sure it is going to be awesome away from phones and tv for 5 days just enjoying nature.

• Like 1

Not first time. This will be my third, second for the family. We are site 282 this time, 288 last year. Our friends are in 280 &281.  It is a nice place, fishing is so so, and not far from some great attractions or just hanging around camp. 

1 hour ago, Zem18 said:

Not first time. This will be my third, second for the family. We are site 282 this time, 288 last year. Our friends are in 280 &281.  It is a nice place, fishing is so so, and not far from some great attractions or just hanging around camp. 

worst time of year to be fishing there but that's really not the reason you go on a family camping trip usually anyway is it?

Have a ball!

what are you fishing for, have a canoe or boat?

Thanks slick. We used kayaks last year and you are correct that it isn't a fishing vacation but a family vacation. The ponds have trout, bass, northerns, blue gill, and perch. Caught all species last year but trout and enjoyed every second. Just getting away is the goal this year and everything we do there is a bonus. Tomorrow ill finish my 13th day in a row of work and then off for 9 days. Can't wait.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started out Tuesday morning and got about an hour into the trip just north of Syracuse and it started raining. Poured most of the day and night. We did catch a small break between 4 and 630 to set up our tent. Hit Lake Placid Wednesday, rained Thursday morning, and then was nice the rest of the week. Came back yesterday. Way too short.

IMG_20160817_113204274.jpg

IMG_20160820_100735244.jpg

IMG_20160820_102439562.jpg

IMG_20160820_100755912.jpg

IMG_20160817_144639776.jpg

• Like 5

It's a bit farther north.

It's a "Forever Wild" type of site. If you are into fishing look it up. There's the Ausable River, Franklin Falls, Union Falls, plus the fishing right at Taylor is great. It's not really close to any towns or cities. It's not full on "remote", but you would think it is. They have a main camp ground, and they have 5 lean two's you can stay in as well. To stay in the lean two's you just have to pay for daily parking. They rent row boats and canoes. Just a note, if the wind is up, do NOT take a canoe to the lower end unless you know WTH you are doing with a canoe.

I have mentioned this place before.

When we started going there they only had a old pump well for water. Now they have spickets. But, last time I looked up ( last Summer ), still no showers and one stall potties. Its camping. Not "glamping". 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:47 PM, Zem18 said:

Thanks slick. We used kayaks last year and you are correct that it isn't a fishing vacation but a family vacation. The ponds have trout, bass, northerns, blue gill, and perch. Caught all species last year but trout and enjoyed every second. Just getting away is the goal this year and everything we do there is a bonus. Tomorrow ill finish my 13th day in a row of work and then off for 9 days. Can't wait.

thanks ZEM I was going to tell you some places to go fish, I know the area, in the campground where they put in the bulkheads is where my familys homes where, they moved us all out of tht spot in the 30's to create that campground.

up the creek is where we moved and where I was born and I took my first steps, they expanded the campgrounds and burnt that house the year my father died. Bass were introduced in the 50's by the state to entice more sportsmen as black bass fishing was the rage then.

my father was used in one of their ads showing him in one of our boats off the dock 10 feet with a hugely bent rod and big smile, the rod was bent using a cement block and they had him pull it in and out several times almost breaking the rod.

speaking of advertising,, I don't know if eagle claw still uses it on their hook packages but the guy smiling in a fedora is Dick Davis, he caught a willow branch full of specks (brook trout to southerners) and a guy said hey, hold that up! and took his photo, this was in Canada, they took down his info and that ws that.

next thing Dick knew he was on their advertising and they had colorized the photo and made the fish into rainbows, Dick was given lifetime supplies of eagle claw gear and wore eagle claw clothing all the short time I worked with him building rods at Orvis, when I left orvis in the 80s Dick was still there making rods and had been there 52 years or more without ever missing a day. he was a wealth of information not just on making split bamboo rods either. I only knew the eagle claw story because I finally asked him why the eagle claw shirts all the time? did orvis have a tie in with eagle claw? and he told me

anyway, I can tell you places to fish back home if you should return there. there are many waters that never get above 58 degrees all year, and you may get a kick out of sitting at an old house site or spring house having lunch after fishing.

• Like 2

Awesome story Slick. I would love to hear more about some good places to fish up there. I believe we are going to try Rollins Pond next year but there has been talk about going to a beach somewhere. My kids are 14 and 10 and they haven't seen an Ocean yet so it may be time for that next year. We will see. 

• Like 1