Watch checking those blinds!

growalot

I got lucky today...16ft up and I open the blind door to see an active wht faced hornet nest. Lucky it was hanging over a window and not the door frame..I made the blind door open in.. I need to go spray when  cool in the morning..I left the door open.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

When I was a kid I thought it was a good idea to throw a Nerf football at a white faced hornets nest. Perfect spiral and thwack . Idea not so good anymore. Them suckers can fly faster than I can run I found out. Jumped in my neighbors pool.  They hovered and waited for me. Again , nobody ever accused me of being bright 

• Like 3

Something got me in the ankle Saturday afternoon ,it felt like someone put a cigarette out on me. I don't react to stings or bites very much but somehow this one got infected really quick, by sunday afternoon my ankle was all red and swollen and hot to the touch ,i went to the MASH care and they hooked me up with some steroids for the swelling and an antibiotic . Doing really good now ,just a little tender still.

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Jeremy , you realize that taking those steroids DQ's you from the remainder of the olympics ?! 

On serious note.  Have you noticed it difficult to sleep at night on them ? I've heard some folks couldn't sleep even on mild doses prescribed. 

I have actually been sleeping less,it seems my bedtime has moved back about 2 hours from normal but I'm still sleeping the same and feel the same when I wake up.

Jeremy I just have to ask, Did they warn you that if you had this type of reaction for the first time, you could likely have a worse one the next time? This some times happens with bee sting allergies and that can be serious...Read up and be aware of signs and what to do....hope you feel better...

16 minutes ago, growalot said:

Jeremy I just have to ask, Did they warn you that if you had this type of reaction for the first time, you could likely have a worse one the next time? This some times happens with bee sting allergies and that can be serious...Read up and be aware of signs and what to do....hope you feel better...

They said it was an infection and not a reaction,  they traced the red area with a pen and said if it goes out side the pen line to go to the ER right away.

• 2 weeks later...

My son when he was five stuck a stick into a ground wasp hole. The ground under us was literally vibrating. They came flying out of the emergency hole and they were not happy. Still remember running into the house with him under my arm and the dog following. Both me and the dog go stung. He didn't. Those suckers were flying against the back windows of the house for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So....been too tire at night,and busy...and the mornings just cooled down...finally got that hornets nest sprayed yesterday a.m.   I still got it! from 6ft away through a crack in the door I sprayed directly into the nest soaking it inside and out hitting nothing else...slammed the door and went down the ladder like a fireman :derisive:...I'll give it one more day then scoop it up into a plastic bag and clean the blind.......Must have another near the blueberries for they chased me out of the patch yesterday...they seem to really like the taste of blueberry.

Be careful trimming shooting lanes ....

I had to deal with 6 different hornets/wasp nests last week, seems like there more around this summer than usual.

I'll pass along a tip - ordinary engine 'starter fluid' in a spray can, from Walmart or the autostore.. is almost pure ether. It will instantly drop flying wasps and yellowjackets and kills them in a few seconds, if they get a good dose. Usually $2-3/can. Works great for smaller nests with a dozen or fewer wasps. I do use the long distance blaster spray for large or hard to reach nests. Plus I always wait until morning when its cooler, just to keep the odds in my favor. 

47 minutes ago, OldNewbie said:

I had to deal with 6 different hornets/wasp nests last week, seems like there more around this summer than usual.

I'll pass along a tip - ordinary engine 'starter fluid' in a spray can, from Walmart or the autostore.. is almost pure ether. It will instantly drop flying wasps and yellowjackets and kills them in a few seconds, if they get a good dose. Usually $2-3/can. Works great for smaller nests with a dozen or fewer wasps. I do use the long distance blaster spray for large or hard to reach nests. Plus I always wait until morning when its cooler, just to keep the odds in my favor. 

Brake/parts cleaner works great too

I got nailed in the back on the head weed wacking a couple weeks ago, hate friggin hornets. I have sprayed 4 nests in the last couple weeks. I need to have a talk with the company that sprayed this spring!!

I also found a ground nest the other day. Just went out after dark poured in 10-12 oz of gas and light. No more ground bees!

I just bought two new cans of spray just knowing I had to go check out the tower blind soon. I can guarentee there will be a nest in there. Lots of fun when your climbing in!

I stepped into one of those ground-nesting yellow jackets once. I knocked a couple of them to the ground with a swat, and I be darned if they didn't get back up and come right back on me, just humping away for all they're worth trying to get that stinger through my pants. That's when I decided the mean little guys really meant business and it was tie to leave ....... quickly. Normally I don't do "run" (haven't actually "ran" since junior high school), but I made an exception that day. By the way, thank heaven for engineer boots with the pant-legs over top.