Deer carts

Have any of you had experience with retrieving a deer using one of those deer carts? New scenario for me this upcoming season, retrieving a deer w/o an ATV by myself, so I have some concerns. Any favorite deer cart models? Your experience using one? How easy is it to get a deer onto & lashed on a deer cart? Looks like a PITA. Looked at the basic $40 carts and up to the $200/$250 Rolls-Royce models. They all seem to present some issues of their own. Looking at product reviews isn't much help either. Sort of run the gambit of 1 up to 5 stars for the same mfger's model. Tips or tricks for using one...??

I've used deer carts for years. Can save a lot of time pulling one out. Started out with a heavy steel version, I think the cart weighed as much as the deer, went to an aluminum and it was a little better but awkward and loud bouncing through the woods. Now I use a Big game pack n pull cart and love it so far. It only weighs like 14lbs and collapses down into a backpack with straps, you could literally hunt with it on your back. And it's fairly cheap too. Like $60 if I remember right.

I bought a cheap deer chart from The Sportsman's Guide years ago and it works great. Just use some bungee chords or rope to secure the deer off the ground onto the cart. Remember to drape some orange over the deer when you wheel it out of the woods so hopefully you don't get shot. I recall that happened recently.

• Like 1

I'm an old codger, so "dragging" a deer isn't in my vocabulary any more. This is 1st thing that comes to mind with those sleds. Aren't you still dragging a good portion of the dead weight? Granted with much less friction, but still dragging.

Plan is, if I'm lucky enough to get a deer down, I'll simply return to my vehicle,  get the cart and go retrieve the deer. So, a lot of noise or strange odors isn't important to me at that time. No way in hell am I taking or backpacking one in during a hunt. That'd put the voodoo hex on my hunt being so well prepared to get one! LOL. Okay, so if you're hiking miles to your honey hole, could see packing one in with you.

Still interested to know how difficult it is to get one onto a cart and sort of balanced over the axle. Not impossible, but certainly looks like it'd be an awkward, cumbersome task.

I've used deer carts for years. Can save a lot of time pulling one out. Started out with a heavy steel version, I think the cart weighed as much as the deer, went to an aluminum and it was a little better but awkward and loud bouncing through the woods. Now I use a Big game pack n pull cart and love it so far. It only weighs like 8lbs and collapses down into a backpack with straps, you could literally hunt with it on your back. And it's fairly cheap too. Like $60 if I remember right.

Mine is aluminum, not sure what brand. Once you get the deer secured w chords or rope it is a breeze moving the deer as compared to dragging.  I also use it to  transport a heavy stand set up which includes a large hang on with climbing sticks. My cart is used all year around the yard to move things as well so it was a good investment.

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

I'm an old codger, so "dragging" a deer isn't in my vocabulary any more. This is 1st thing that comes to mind with those sleds. Aren't you still dragging a good portion of the dead weight? Granted with much less friction, but still dragging.

Plan is, if I'm lucky enough to get a deer down, I'll simply return to my vehicle,  get the cart and go retrieve the deer. So, a lot of noise or strange odors isn't important to me at that time. No way in hell am I taking or backpacking one in during a hunt. That'd put the voodoo hex on my hunt being so well prepared to get one! LOL. Okay, so if you're hiking miles to your honey hole, could see packing one in with you.

Still interested to know how difficult it is to get one onto a cart and sort of balanced over the axle. Not impossible, but certainly looks like it'd be an awkward, cumbersome task.

Your still going to have to "pull" that cart with a deer loaded on it up hill if need be right?  If it's all flat land and no small trees or brush to block the wheels, your fine. Just thought it would be easier to slide it along on plastic, easier to move around stuff as well.

I've had one for years, hardly use it . It's not to great for where I hunt. Most of my stands take walking a pretty far distance along/ through crop fields, they not any good on that plowed ground.

The thick brush I hunt is not easy to use them in either.

I keep it in my hut, from some stands that would be a 40 minute round trip walk,( although I can dump my coat and gun or bow in the hut) I often just put that time in the drag.

In some cases I do use it, big deer, alone, no plowed ground. 

It is nice for bring my pools sand filter into the garage each year !

Packing out the meat and rack like my western friends do with their elk, is starting to appeal to me as I age and those fields get longer ....

• Like 1

I mostly hunt alone . I bought a deer cart a few years ago and never used it for hauling deer . I used it a couple times to get a Ladder Stand to where I wanted to install it .

I bought a heavy duty sled and use that for hauling deer .It was only $30 and works fairly well especially if the grass is damp .     In the late summer when I use a crop damage permit , I use a wheel barrow so as not to damage any crops . I usually have a heck of a time getting a deer in the wheel barrow but it works . 

• Like 1