Camera Recommendations

I would like to start taking some pictures while out in the field and also take better pictures of the animals I harvest. Also start messing around a little with some amateur photography. Can anyone recommend a camera that wont break the bank but takes good pictures and is a good starter camera?

• Like 2

If you're thinking about getting into a DSLR set up, I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the entry level cams by Nikon or Canon, and they have become quite affordable.

You could pair it up with a kit zoom lens in the 55-200mm range to get you off to a good start in every category of photography you described for right around $300 for the combo. That's not too bad when you look at some of the "point and shoot" prices out there today in the same range, but with limitations on what you can do with them.

AUTO mode works great on these cameras as well so you don't need to jump into DSLR's with a full photography background to get started. That alone should take care of any intimidating concerns you might have with limited experience.

I started out with a 10MP beginners model Nikon d-3000. That turned out to be MORE than enough camera for me and my skill level, so when I finally upgraded years later, I still stuck with the d-3200 series I shoot to this day.

I also buy most of my lenses as refurbished, which I never had any problems with, and cuts down on the initial cost a bit.

• Like 2

Cameras are a lot like guns for hunting it is pretty hard to come up with one that can handle all situations. Like my hunting arms which over the years have been purchased to cover most types of hunting I do I have done much the same with cameras, I have purchased a lot of them over the years. I still have my almost 50 yr old Polaroid 360 Land camera that I took a couple of photos with the other day for shits and giggles.

When out hunting I go as light, small and as tough as possible and yet try to have a camera that can capture a decent shot. Cannon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic etc all make compact pocket sized cameras easily carried in the field that take decent photos. I have been using a Panasonic Lumix 16 megapixel that has a stainless steel body and a automatic lens cover that covers the lens when the camera is in my pocket. It is about the size of a deck of cards and it takes good photos in the field.

When not carrying a gun I use a full size Cannon sx20is 12 megapixel it has a big zoom and takes beautiful photos but it is heavy and bulky.

Today's cameras are easier than ever to use and the prices are good compared to just a few years ago. The main thing is to stick with a brand name and do a little research online and you can come up with something that will suit what you have in mind.

Al

Edited by airedale

Wooly pretty much sums everything up.  If you want to take your photography to the next level, you simply have to learn how to use the manual controls.  Plain and simple.  Also, don't get too infatuated with megapixels.  You don't really need that many megapixels.

• 2 weeks later...

All depends on what type of camera you want? If you want a big, bulky, camera and high bucks, go with a large Digital camera in the 35 mm format. But if you want a camera for less than half the cost or more, of the larger ones, get a small pocket type camera. I went with a Canon SX260 HS model. Came with a 20X zoom as well, perfect for what I need. I also have been just using the camera on my cell phone Galaxy X5S, takes some great pic's too.