Northern Tier hunter looking for some advice

Tughill Tamer

So here's my dilemma. I hunt mainly in wmu's 6g,6k and 6n, there are no DMPs in 6n it's very hard to get them in 6k you need some preference points, and for 6g you have a high probability for you first choice but a low probability for your second choice. Last year it was the same way and out of my family and friends that I sometimes hunt with ( around 10 people) only 2 of us got a second doe tag for 6g.I am considering putting in for my second choice as somewhere down south that has a high probability for a second choice. Here are some of those locations,3m, 3r,3s,7f,7h, 7j,7r,8a,8c,8f,8g,8h,8j,8n,9a,9f,9g, and 9h. I first would like to say I am not looking for anyone's honey hole if you would just some advice as to hunting some of these areas. I have never hunted anywhere south of Adams Ny.I am looking for some advice like wmu's with a lot of state land, areas with a decent whitetail population and for areas where a newbie hunter to the area would be able to find and be able to navigate without to much trouble.Would be happy to find and area where I would have a good chance at filling a 2nd doe tag not necessarily drop a Boone& Crockett.Thanks in advance for any advice hope to get some good ideas.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Check the state DEC interactive map. I can tell you that 7R (pretty much a straight shot down 81 for you) is LOADED with state land and after the first week it gets almost no pressure. 

Thanks culver it sounds promising, a place that's got a lot of state land with little pressure that's easy to get to sounds perfect!

If you get into 7R the probability is High for second choice. AND if you select a spot in Tioga county in 7R your rifles are OK to use. 

Great info that was going to be another question I was going to ask. Since I don't have a shotgun currently if I don't find a rifle area I would have to use my muzzleloader.

Thanks stone I'm up for any advice my plan is to get some ideas from you guys, check them out and decide which one would best fit me.

8n has hi tor... south hill....Stid hill...Italy valley...another one I can tell you how to get to but don't know the name...ant the state land near Honeoye lake may be 8n to bit not positive would have to look...all are within 30 min of each other if that far

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

8n has hi tor... south hill....Stid hill...Italy valley...another one I can tell you how to get to but don't know the name...ant the state land near Honeoye lake may be 8n to bit not positive would have to look...all are within 30 min of each other if that far

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a lot of opportunity in a relatively short area. I would just as soon not drive all over.I think my plan would be to come down once for maybe a weekend maybe after the season ends up here that way I also would be extending my hunting season

• Like 1