deer lures

eagle rider

I use tinks #69, not a lot of big bucks where I hunt, but ive noticed that it does bring the curious young bucks in for sure.  One night hunting out of my tripod I had a scent stick with 69 out and shot a 4 point, After field dressing the deer the sun had about set and it was getting hard to see out, my friend hunting about a half mile down from me was on his way walking to meet up with me and in the field stood a nice 8 point, right next to my scent stick, of course my buddy was walking in an open field and by the time he saw the deer, it too saw him.   Anyways my point is I swear by the that stuff. I definitely see more bucks now that I started using it 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Buy a empty spray bottle and a gallon of fresh apple cider. You be in it cheaper than any comercial scent. Spray it on trees near you or just into the air. And if your thirsty a few squirts down your throat.... try that with a commercial lure.

Much more natural and effective.

No it's so they don't get stuck................in your nose...that's right nose...I tried everything during the winter hunting..tissue,,napkins etc...ect..but cut a tampon in half and stuff it in your nose...no more running...oh works for chronic nose bleeds too....Any how the second it gets cold out my nose acts like a faucet was turned on...nothing worse than constantly fighting a runny nose while trying to sit still...

Guys I think that's illegal...can't quote right now or link...but I believe it states "Anything that entices deer to feed" in other words anything you could add to the ground or plant material that would cause them to feed on the plants or lick at the ground. I found it:

Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?
A:
You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.

Edited by growalot

actually grow a lot, I think this is walking a narrow thin line.. . that paragraph u posted..i believe, is referring to liquids that you can buy that you poor on the ground or a stump or whatever, and it attracts the deer , makes them paw/lick at the ground.  They have like a mineral/salt liquid, and there is also a sticky molasses type attractant that u pour on logs and stuff

I honestly think I will try what I though about last season. Making apple scented soap. Like I said, there are no laws stating I have to use a specific soap or what said soap can smell like. Will even wash my hunting clothes in it before adding the Sawyers. Just hope a bear doesn't think I am giant apple.

• 1 month later...

I have to remember the fireball, I think that is the real deal!  I hate those things but apparently they give good luck and I need some of that!  My buddy uses doe P to cover his P out of the tree.  He keeps giving me some, now I have 2 bottles one of buck P and one doe P, that is the only 2 things in my fridge.

After updating my GPS my other friend did a doe in heat drag from my buck spot in  2010 to my buck spot in 2013 now my GPS will never go on another computer except my own.  And now I hate people who do scent drags, lol j/k.

well i peed out of my tressstand at 630 pm last night ( couldnt hold it any longer), a doe came straight to that tree 5 minutes later! i could not believe my eyes. so i will not be holdign it any longer. but i do use bob kirschners Roam scent with good results in pre rut/rut.

I have dabbled with different scents over the years. I think most of them are worthless if not all but my human nature takes over and I keep trying lol.

A couple I don't think are complete waste but these are not really attractants...Ever Calm and Deer Dander.

I do have pretty good results with transplanted scrape dirt and licking branches. I also have been known to use real tarsals.

At this point i wonder how much Tinks has been poured around stands and do the deer actually avoid it now lol. I don't want to use things that deer have busted other hunters on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 6:10 PM, growalot said:

Then disregard that  paragraph and go to the entire regulation ..there the very first line:

It is illegal to place on lands ANY MATERIAL that entice deer  to feed.

From what I understand if it makes them try to eat the ground branches  or what ever you put the stuff on it  is  illegal .

So I guess if you put it high enough on a tree where they can not  feed off it just smell it at a distance  it would be ok ?  Like dip a rag in the stuff and hang it on a high tree branch out of reach  of the deer . Or am I reading the law wrong 

Lol yes ! 

Heres the story, our daughter played BB in school , an old friend from my youth had a daughter who played as well. One day in the stands he asks me if I want a Fireball, then proceeds to tell me he buys them each hunting season as they last awhile and break up the bordom on stand. Then jokingly says he's had good luck killing deer while one was in his mouth .( just keep one in your mouth the whole time on stand, during the rut )

Truth be told, he's can kill nice bucks in bow and gun no problem ( oh and he uses no cover scents, washes his clothes and body in the same soaps the family uses all year, no scent killer sprays nothing).

So I buy some as I loved them in my youth, and low and behold , I kill a nice buck in bow while the first fireball I ate is still in my mouth.

So I posted that hunt story mostly as a joke , because guys spend good money on every type of scent, soap, spray, scent loc clothes and on and on while others clean up on nice bucks using none of that, except Atomic Fireballs...... And the wind.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Evercalm all day on my scent drag and then I hang it a few yards from my stand.  Smells like a horse stall, very strong.  Usually young deer come up and sniff it, but no deer really spook with this. During the rut it's all about Buck Bomb.  Also Redman in my jaw works well too all season long.

LJC to your question...I'll tell you what a region 9 DEC officer told me....It all depends on who may come along and question you about it and the mood their in...For several laws are up to the DEC personnel's interpretation....

PS... After the doe miss and the arrow mishap...I went out and bought some fire balls...I forgot just how hot they are!