Scout style or "standard" rifle for still hunting?

uberyan

Hello all, first real post on this forum.

I'm just getting into hunting and am in the process of choosing my first rifle.

I was initially set on a standard bolt action (Tikka T3X).

Then I started thinking, if I'm going to be primarily still hunting, would I be better suited with a more agile rifle?

Speaking to one of the guys at the LGS, he mentioned the majority of shots in the NE region are probably 80yards or less and even shorter if you're still hunting. 

In those cases, wouldn't something like a Ruger Gunsite with a red dot be more effective?

Welcome to the forum.

It isn't always the weapon but the shooter and his confidence in his equipment. Have you shot rifles before? What is your comfort range pertaining to shooting distance? What calibers are you looking at? Lots of unanswered questions before we can give advice and every shooter/hunter uses a different style so be prepared for a bunch of varying answers. 

• Like 2

If one is hunting big woods for the most part shots taken at game are under 100yds. I know there are many proponents of scout type guns with their sight or scope mid mounted but personally I never cared for that type of setup. The idea is to shoot with both eyes open for quick target acquisition and I guess with practice it works. The old Ithaca Deerslayers had their rear sight dovetailed to accept rings and a long eye relief scope scout style and back when I worked in a gun shop I mounted quite a few scopes on those Deerslayers and sighted them in. What I did not care for was the relatively  small field of view the long eye relief scope have so target acquisition was not so quick for me personally. For short ranges in heavy cover I like a low powered traditional rifle scope with a big field of view, and when mounted properly I can shoulder my rifle or shotgun and be on target instantly. Again on the other hand there are those who swear by the scout setup so I guess in the end it is a matter of personal preference and what you are comfortable with and of course how you actually shoot after trying both styles and practice, practice, practice.

Al

Edited by airedale

Thanks Zem.

When I say noob, I do mean total newbie.

My first and only shooting experience so far came about two weeks ago.

Indoor gun range in PA, Shot a 9mm handgun and AR15s in .223 and .308

I was told I was a pretty good shot for a first timer if that has any real relevance.

Although I'll end up going through the Hunter Education course this year, I probably won't actively hunt the upcoming season. Planning on spending most of my time at the range getting comfortable with the gun.

Obviously I'd love to try out multiple rifles in multiple calibers before making a purchase but it's not like rifles come with a 30 day love it or return it policy. Which is why I'm trying to make an informed decision with the help of you more experienced folks.

The caliber I'm pretty set with the .308, as most of the rifles I'm looking at come with that and I also did like it at the range.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, uberyan said:

Thanks Zem.

When I say noob, I do mean total newbie.

My first and only shooting experience so far came about two weeks ago.

Indoor gun range in PA, Shot a 9mm handgun and AR15s in .223 and .308

I was told I was a pretty good shot for a first timer if that has any real relevance.

Although I'll end up going through the Hunter Education course this year, I probably won't actively hunt the upcoming season. Planning on spending most of my time at the range getting comfortable with the gun.

Obviously I'd love to try out multiple rifles in multiple calibers before making a purchase but it's not like rifles come with a 30 day love it or return it policy. Which is why I'm trying to make an informed decision with the help of you more experienced folks.

The caliber I'm pretty set with the .308, as most of the rifles I'm looking at come with that and I also did like it at the range.

Not sure of your size but just an FYI. the 308 is a VERY manageable round for recoil. BUT. other style and weight rifles will feel much different compared to the AR platform you shot. there is no recoil reduction in a bolt gun. Not trying to scare you but it you can hook up with some members of a local shooting range they may be able to assist you. Some gun ranges even rent guns for shooting. 

10 minutes ago, airedale said:

If one is hunting big woods for the most part shots taken at game are under 100yds. I know there are many proponents of scout type guns with their sight or scope mid mounted but personally I never cared for that type of setup. The idea is to shoot with both eyes open for quick target acquisition and I guess with practice it works. The old Ithaca Deerslayers had their rear sight dovetailed to accept rings and a long eye relief scope scout style and back when I worked in a gun shop I mounted quite a few scopes on those Deerslayers and sighted them in. What I did not care for was the relatively  small field of view the long eye relief scope have so target acquisition was not so quick for me personally. For short ranges in heavy cover I like a low powered traditional rifle scope with a big field of view, and when mounted properly I can shoulder my rifle and be on target instantly. Again on the other hand there are those who swear by the scout setup so I guess it is a matter of personal preference and what you are comfortable with and of course how you actually shoot after trying both styles.

Al

A LGS here is hosting a range day in two weeks so I'll definitely be taking advantage of that to try out some different rifles. One of the ones available to shoot is the Ruger Gunsite so I'm hoping I can get a good feel for the Scout style there. 

Culvercreek, I'm 5'9 about 180lbs. I did read that bolt actions do recoil differently and that the AR does absorb some. I'm hoping that since I really didn't feel the recoil negatively on the AR, that even on a bolt, it won't be too much of an issue. In any case, might be a good idea to try multiple rifles in the .308 on that LGS range day.

• Like 1

Do you have any friends that hunt and own rifles in different calibers?  I'd start there. See if you can join them to go shooting and see how a bolt action feels to you. Try a lever action as well if you can. You may like one more than the other. And then practice shooting more to get proficient with your purchase once you decide. The fun has just begun and it sounds like you are hooked already.

Range day is an excellent idea as well. Good luck doing your research and let us know what you think after shooting them. 

• Like 1

Scout rifles are designed for fast/quick shots.  As a new shooter, I'm not so sure if that's the best choice.  Also, keep in mind, shooting at the range is different from shooting in the woods where you only have seconds to make a decision and there are 20 other things going on in you mind.  You want to able to instinctively operate your firearm while juggling all these other thoughts in your head.  Keep it simply.  I recommend a traditional bolt action rifle. 

• Like 2

If say instead if a scout rifle, I would get a lever action 30-30 with high rings that allow you to use the iron sights as well great for shots under 100 yards...... But I would say that I like the 308 idea, I'd go with a Remington 700 very was greet shooting gun. One of the most popular rifles of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lotta rifle options for the .308. Remmy 700, Ruger American, Savage Axis, Weatherby, Browning etc.... Depends on your wallet. .308 is a good choice as ammo is available just about anyplace and the recoil isn't bad.

If you will be mainly still hunting just try and go light with your choice.

For a first rifle, I vote for the bolt action too. With the right glass they can be very versatile, with up close, mid range and longer shots. But guns are like cars and trucks. Everyone likes different ones for different reasons and applications. If you get the chance, shoot as many different types and calibers as you can. After doing that, you will just "know" what speaks to you loudest. If you like the rifle and shoot it well, there are no "bad" choices.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

If say instead if a scout rifle, I would get a lever action 30-30 with high rings that allow you to use the iron sights as well great for shots under 100 yards...... But I would say that I like the 308 idea, I'd go with a Remington 700 very was greet shooting gun. One of the most popular rifles of all time

Uhhh...see thru rings:rolleyes:

Dudes a new shooter and hunter lets give him advice that starts him out on the right foot.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm with you! See thu's are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Lots out there so someone likes them....:bad:

As a new rifle owner the OP, I feel,  would be best served by a conventional bolt action with a proper mounted mid range scope in an easy to find ammo as most other agree.

Scout scopes, ultra light guns, see thrus where one must move the head to find a good sight picture; complicates things IMO; hes got enough on his plate as just starting out with gun safety+ actually shooting, hunting safety course, developing some field skills......

• Like 2

Lots out there so someone likes them....default_bad.gif

As a new rifle owner the OP, I feel,  would be best served by a conventional bolt action with a proper mounted mid range scope in an easy to find ammo as most other agree.

Scout scopes, ultra light guns, see thrus where one must move the head to find a good sight picture; complicates things IMO; hes got enough on his plate as just starting out with gun safety+ actually shooting, hunting safety course, developing some field skills......

People using them doesn't make them a good idea! Ever saw a fella wearing skinny jeans?

I agree with everything else you said and think it's great advice!

• Like 1

I'll toss out another option for the OP here, since it seems there might be some bird hunting in the future: A shotgun with a bird and slug barrel combo. They're not terribly expensive, and a case of skeet loads is a pretty good way to quickly become familiar and comfortable with gun handling and overall shooting skills. Also, I've never seen anything kill a close-range deer more dead than a well-placed 12 Ga slug. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I'll toss out another option for the OP here, since it seems there might be some bird hunting in the future: A shotgun with a bird and slug barrel combo. They're not terribly expensive, and a case of skeet loads is a pretty good way to quickly become familiar and comfortable with gun handling and overall shooting skills. Also, I've never seen anything kill a close-range deer more dead than a well-placed 12 Ga slug. Just my 2 cents.

Good advice here

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

People using them doesn't make them a good idea! Ever saw a fella wearing skinny jeans?

I agree with everything else you said and think it's great advice!

Those things are an abomination...I only know one guy who ever said that he used the open sights through one of those things and I suspect he may have been lying to me...

• Like 3