No Till Plantings..

I understand...I have been doing the same for years,but mostly as an over seeding.  Turnips into clover plots and clover/turnips into just about any summer planting I have...my pumpkin.squash/melons have turnips in second leaf.the hemp and corn have them growing as well. The garden is loaded with clover...One mid woods clover plot I tried killing 3 times ...killed the weeds not the clover ...so I just tossed turnips over it last week and they are 2 in. high all ready...no rolling or anything...

• Like 1

No till has been around for a long time. I sold and serviced No till planters back in the early 80"s. Allis Chalmers were one of the first no till planters for corn in our area.  No till became less popular for many years, ( as people misused it) but higher fuel prices and better education brought demand strongly back on the market place.

• Like 2

I will take photos today, and then again down the road a time or two to show its growth. and hopefully put some urea down with this every day or two rain were getting. Looks like they are calling 100% for sunday.. I leave for vacation to the outer banks Friday night and will return the following weekend. woo hoo. Finally much needed time off..

• Like 1

Please guys pray that Sunday rain doesn't happen during the day...Rivers first birthday party with 25 people coming, is in a park ..under a pavilion but there will be a cook out and a bunch of kids. If it has to rain..pray no lightening...

Thanks in advance

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Yeah, my first year with my land and sometimes I wish I had just kept doing it for the brassicas.  But I do have a cultipacker and I did cultipack them.  They grew fine.  I got them in late so they did not reach the potential they should have but they grew in nice even stands.

If you kill off all the grass then they seem to be fine.  I think the cultipacker helps some.

For me, I am going to turn my land over in early spring from now on just to loosen up my heavy clays.  And then spray it off all summer.  When the time comes, cultipack, plant, cultipack.  The cultipacker still seems to be well on soil that has not been worked in a few weeks.  If you can find one then I think you will be all the better for it.  But honestly, it would not surprise me if they grew great without it.  

• Like 1