Kayak Hunting on north shore of Long Island

Jvilla

Good morning - 

I am trying to find spots, (where its legal, not legal, and feasible) to launch a kayak and hunt the north shore.  I am close to Huntington, and found out that they have a no discharge firearm policy)  Does anyone know areas that are legal.  I am not asking for specific 'honey hole' spots.(but I'd take if anyone wants to share!), rather looking for some areas to scout, that are legal.  As always, thanks for the Help. 

Ps - if anyone on the island has goose/duck decoys that they would like to sell, PM me.  Id gladly take a look!

Have a great day and Thanks,

John

The issue that I've found here on the island is that a lot of the marinas where you would launch your boat or kayak do not allow firearms on the premises- many of them are county or town parks.  So, you can't have your gun in the car while you're towing your boat or carrying your kayak.  Then, some of the local towns do have ordinances restricting discharge of firearms.  I live on the north shore near a town marina.  I found it very difficult to get information regarding hunting there that I could trust.  after seeing guys hunting there, I ran into a DEC officer at the marina while I was scouting for birds.  he confirmed where it was legal to hunt and where it was illegal.  I think that this would be your best bet- contact a DEC officer in the area you're curious about.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, virgil said:

The issue that I've found here on the island is that a lot of the marinas where you would launch your boat or kayak do not allow firearms on the premises- many of them are county or town parks.  So, you can't have your gun in the car while you're towing your boat or carrying your kayak.  Then, some of the local towns do have ordinances restricting discharge of firearms.  I live on the north shore near a town marina.  I found it very difficult to get information regarding hunting there that I could trust.  after seeing guys hunting there, I ran into a DEC officer at the marina while I was scouting for birds.  he confirmed where it was legal to hunt and where it was illegal.  I think that this would be your best bet- contact a DEC officer in the area you're curious about.

I ran into the same issue on Lake Ontario in the town near Rochester. No firearm discharge. As long as we were in a boat or standing out beyond the water line the DEC told us we were fine. local Officers came twice and we did have to get a bit firm with them becasue they didn't know the law or boundaries. DEC cleared it up for them. (no town park issue at that location) 

5 hours ago, Jvilla said:

Good morning - 

I am trying to find spots, (where its legal, not legal, and feasible) to launch a kayak and hunt the north shore.  I am close to Huntington, and found out that they have a no discharge firearm policy)  Does anyone know areas that are legal.  I am not asking for specific 'honey hole' spots.(but I'd take if anyone wants to share!), rather looking for some areas to scout, that are legal.  As always, thanks for the Help. 

Ps - if anyone on the island has goose/duck decoys that they would like to sell, PM me.  Id gladly take a look!

Have a great day and Thanks,

John

You are correct, there is no discharge of firearms in the town of Huntington. They claim to the state line in the middle of the sound so you can't even sea duck outside. Not sure an ECO would enforce it since it's not state but a town ordinance. If you get your free access permit from DEC they give you a map of I believe 5 different spots on the SS. There's also plenty of spots to launch legally out east that you can have great hunts. Have you ever waterfowl hunted LI

Thanks for the responses.  I appreciate them.  Yes, I have and do, waterfowl hunt; primarily out east and on the south shore.  I am simply trying to find a place closer to home.  I have spoken with  the DEC.  They too say its a grey area. In some areas, you need to be 3 miles off shore.  (quite a way in a kayak especially into open water).  I have heard of some that hunt out of Cold spring Harbor to the west, and others north of Northport Bay.  The DEC also told me to be careful about access and parking. That is the big way Towns get around the legality of Federal laws of water fowling.  Thats why I was asking for launching locations. Figured that would provide me with an experienced location, hopefully, avoiding the legal hassle.  Please keep the opinions coming!  Best of luck to everyone this season.  Lets hope it cools down by OCT 1!