How's the progress coming??

HuntOrBeHunted

So it's that time of year were its going to start getting cooler out. Bow season is right around the corner. Tags are out. 

Whats everyone got to do before season starts? Whats everyone got done? Any monster deer on the hit list? 

I just put in 2 small throw and grow plots at a spot I tripped across then put a camera there and was amazed with the amount of deer using it for a travel lane. So I had to set up another spot. I got my tags 2 6ps so that's huge. Been doing a good amount of shooting with the bow. 

Finishing the inside of the new bathroom at camp. Little mudding of the walls and another set of bunk beds to build and we will be set to go... Hopefully. 

How's everybody else doing ??

On 8/18/2016 at 2:17 PM, ny hunter said:

We painted the cabin,have a few stands to check mine is only 9 or 10 feet up...and and 2 blinds on the ground,next 2 weeks pretty much air out the cabin wash all the dish's and silverware and we are ready to go.

Add splitting wood to my list lol. Old man calls for a long hard winter. Let's see how this plays out !!

• Like 1

My fieldcorn plots are looking ok, considering the drought we recently got over, but the coons are already hitting them a bit.   I will need to trap them heavy this fall if I want to keep some corn around until gun season.  I am about half done planting winter wheat / soybean / white clover plots.  I still need to place one more tree stand, box in a blind and trim a few shooting lanes.  

We spent a little time on the range yesterday morning, making sure the .44 mag, scoped, Ruger Redhawk my buddy just purchased was on the paper at 50 yards.  He was not able to check it out himself, due to some eye trouble.   Not being a pistol shooter, I missed the first shot, probably out of fear of recoil.  It was actually quite tame however, other than some muzzle jump.  My second shot struck 2" from the bull.  That is all he let me fire, using his hunting ammo at $1.00  a crack.   

I made a quick shopping trip this morning with the wife to Walmart and picked up my hunting license (9T DMP tag which required two pref. points and a 9F).  We also stopped at Tractor supply and I picked up a $20 broadcast seeder to replace the one I broke on yesterday.  

Not much hard work remains, with the firewood all done and most of the stands and blinds ready.  In the next several weeks, I plan on lots of time on the range with the crossbow, ML, shotguns, and rifle.  There is still plenty of vacuum sealed venison in the freezer, but we are going start hitting that harder now to make room for the new stuff.  We got all the fixens for stroganoff, lasagne, stir-fry, and barley soup at Walmart today.

Put up a ladder stand on Sunday and also set a ground blind near a  throw and grow plot. Did some shooting from the stand and will need to clear some more shooting lanes. Im thinking it will be a later season spot...mid November..generally alot of scrapes around the area. The ground blind is the opening day spot. Been shooting the recurve a bit and now will tune up the broadheads.

8 hours ago, Pointer said:

Put up a ladder stand on Sunday and also set a ground blind near a  throw and grow plot. Did some shooting from the stand and will need to clear some more shooting lanes. Im thinking it will be a later season spot...mid November..generally alot of scrapes around the area. The ground blind is the opening day spot. Been shooting the recurve a bit and now will tune up the broadheads.

How did the throw and grow plot work out? This is my first year trying it I found a spot that I wanted to do something quick at and figured that was my best bet. 

1 hour ago, Will_C said:

Have a half acre in Brassica planted-need to plant an acre of oats this weekend. September, time to bush hog the fields. Check stands in October (don't bow hunt). Sight guns in early November

Oh, I better buy a license!

Will

No bow?  What a long wait for the action. Got my tags and hit the spot I want so it was a win, win.