What gun do you carry and why?

Buckmaster7600

I ran into a friend from high school today and we were talking and I found out he had started hunting. We chatted for half an hr and he was telling me that he hunted with a 300wby and was in his cousins camp in the ADKS. I asked him what made him get that gun and he said when his cousin invited him to camp he bought a hunting magazine and in the mag was an article about a 300 why mag so thats what he bought. It made me chuckle but it made me think back on why I use what I use and what made want to use it.

When I was a young fella my whole family that hunted carried Remington pumps except my great uncle who had a 740 that always jammed. I can remember everyone ragging on him about cleaning it and it being junk.

When I was 13 i milked a lot of cows and threw a lot of hay and I saved up money all summer and bought a brand new 7600 in 308 and a leupold Vx-1 in 2-7.

That fall at camp I can remember that gun hanging on the rack for opening weekend and it looked so out of place hanging there with its barrel hanging out the end farther than most of the others. I remember sitting on the floor and staring at the racks admiring everyone else's guns, while I listened to the guys tell stories about bucks they had shot and missed. I remember there was only 1 bolt action a rem model 7 "I think" a few winchesters and Marlin levers a couple Remington autos a couple savage 99's and a Winchester 88 lever and all the rest were pumps.

On are way home I told dad I had to have the barrel on my gun cut down like everyone else's and that week dad brought me to have it done.

That's what started me on as a gun collector. I know own at least 1 of every model of gun that was on the rack that weekend 20 years ago. It's a memory I will never forget.

It was fun for me thinking back on why I started with what I did and how I still love my pumps to this day.

What does everyone carry in the woods and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Last year was my first season.  I never owned a gun.  I took a hunter safety course the day before opening day so when I went to buy a gun I bought the only 12 gauge they had left.  A mossberg 500.  It worked.  Got a nice doe and a 9 point buck.  Hope it works again this year.    

• Like 5

Bolt action lightweight NON wood stocked sexy bastids.

I had a 760 pump gun in the early 80's, lefty to boot.  I only used it for a couple years before I  pawned it for a 270 Remington Model 700.  Yup, lefty too.

That went down the road when I scrapped up the coin for a Model 700 LH KS 280 in 1993 IIRC.  That was my go-to rifle for a bunch of years until I took a shining on the ULA/NULA guns.

Love me some rifles.......

I'm kinda trying to learn this lingo so could you please explain the abbreviations if possible for my educational purposes.  I kinda want to learn about getting a new rifle and this thread may help and I appreciate everybody's opinions but don't know what ULA or LH KS or IIRC mean.  lol

• Like 1

Wow! Good question. I have always used what I felt suited me best for what and where I hunt. Well, now days anyway. When I was young I would buy a new gun just to have it in the cabinet. Many I never even fired before selling them.

I really like a 20ga for deer over a 12ga. I don't know why, I just do. Seeing all the areas I hunt now rifles are allowed I have my 12ga for small game and turkey.

When I bought my deer rifle about a year ago I went 7mm-08. Solid caliber and suits my needs. I have hunted with the .270 and .30-06, but as I am getting older I am not liking the heavy recoil. So, the 7mm-08 was a good choice and fit for me.

I bought a .25-06 last Spring I have yet to shoot. But, I think my go-to will still be the 7mm-08. It's a good solid round for deer.

31 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

I'm kinda trying to learn this lingo so could you please explain the abbreviations if possible for my educational purposes.  I kinda want to learn about getting a new rifle and this thread may help and I appreciate everybody's opinions but don't know what ULA or LH KS or IIRC mean.  lol

ULA or NULA is a make of rifle.

This gunsmith named Melvin Forbes is a legend in producing accurate light rifles. His first company was ULA....Ultra Light Arms. He sold it to Colt, but they discontinued the project.

So he reinvented the company back out on his own as New Ultra Light Arms (NULA)

LH....Larry's bolts are on the wrong side of his guns.....Left Handed

IIRC.... If I recall correctly

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

ULA or NULA is a make of rifle.

This gunsmith named Melvin Forbes is a legend in producing accurate light rifles. His first company was ULA....Ultra Light Arms. He sold it to Colt, but they discontinued the project.

So he reinvented the company back out on his own as New Ultra Light Arms (NULA)

LH....Larry's bolts are on the wrong side of his guns.....Left Handed

IIRC.... If I recall correctly

LOL   :yes:

I've said it a few times but have been carrying my Winchester apex ml ( wife bought it for me many years ago) from gun opener thru ml season for years. Just like the feel , balance , accuracy of the gun.  Bushnell elite 3x9 firefly sits a top. Only shoot once and it knocks em down . Last 10 or so deer have all been with the ml.  Winchester 1300 ( wife also bought for me ) was first real deer gun  but it now sits in the safe . My purchase of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 will be a nice addition to carry this year. 

• Like 1

.308 w/ CRPF Winchester Model 70 type action.

Great rifle and very accurate.  Definitely more of a tree-stand rifle than it is a mountain/back country rifle....but I'm hoping to add another lightweight bolt-action to my collection here in the near future.

Well I chose to get a 30-06 because that was the caliber my grandfather used and that was the one i was going too. There was no convincing me to change and I probably wont ever change. The rifle I am using now because I remember seeing commercials for it and I just loved it for some reason. When I finally turned 13 my parents got me a 12ga and the 30-06 that I am still using. If I didn't want that gun, I probably would have gotten the Remington 7600 my grandfather has. I'm loving this question!

I started out with a bolt action wood stock Remington in 308 that I bought used at a gun show, I chose the 308 because that's was the caliber of my dad's favorite rifle. I don't remember
the exact model because I was young back then and didn't pay close attention to the model. I inherited my dads favorite rifle a few years later when he past away and that was a Winchester 308 semiautomatic with a beautiful wood engraved stock, once again I am not sure of the exact model. I hunted with that mostly for the next 10 yrs until it was stolen along with a few other guns I had accumulated when my house was burglarized. It sucks you can never replace things like that.Since then I have had an assortment of guns come and go. I currently have 2 Ruger Americans(i don't think you can be them for the price) one in 243 with the blued barrel the other is a 30-06 in stainless both toped with Nikon 3-9-40 prostaffs.I also have a Reminton 7600 weather master in 308, and a Mossberg Patriot in 270 Woodstock. I also have a cva wolf muzzleloader. I like to alternate guns from year to year and plan to carry my stainless 30-06 this year while I let my friends son who I have been teaching to hunt over the last cpl years and is now 14 carry the 243.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I started out with a bolt action wood stock Remington in 308 that I bought used at a gun show, I chose the 308 because that's was the caliber of my dad's favorite rifle. I don't remember
the exact model because I was young back then and didn't pay close attention to the model. I inherited my dads favorite rifle a few years later when he past away and that was a Winchester 308 semiautomatic with a beautiful wood engraved stock, once again I am not sure of the exact model. I hunted with that mostly for the next 10 yrs until it was stolen along with a few other guns I had accumulated when my house was burglarized. It sucks you can never replace things like that.Since then I have had an assortment of guns come and go. I currently have 2 Ruger Americans(i don't think you can be them for the price) one in 243 with the blued barrel the other is a 30-06 in stainless both toped with Nikon 3-9-40 prostaffs.I also have a Reminton 7600 weather master in 308, and a Mossberg Patriot in 270 Woodstock. I also have a cva wolf muzzleloader. I like to alternate guns from year to year and plan to carry my stainless 30-06 this year while I let my friends son who I have been teaching to hunt over the last cpl years and is now 14 carry the 243.

Correction the stainless -06 is toped with the leupold vx1 that you guys helped turn me onto the rest of the rifles have prostaffs

Savage 99 in .358 most years, but I hate looking for & buying shells for it (don't reload). I bought this gun with my paper route money 40 years ago, and can't let go. Also have a Remington 710-.30-06 that sometimes gets the nod if I haven't killed anything with it in a while, I usually bring this gun to Texas or Wyoming. Hunting close to home (SE PA) I have a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel.

I joined a club in Virginia this year that does deer drives with dogs, that's buckshot only. Spent a few weekends at the range trying to find the best shotgun I own that throws buckshot, turns out to be my Remington 870, so that is what I will use there. I think I knocked a filling loose trying to find the best gun/choke/load combo, LOLOLOL.

• Like 1

Usually its my .50cal ML in T/C Triumph or the Omega are my preferred deer guns. But last Christmas I got my dad a brand new Savage axis in 7mm-08 w/ Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40bdc. His very first centerfire rifle ever. He was super excited, to say the least. Well as some may know, he was taken from us suddenly and too soon back in March. So this will be my new and hopefully favorite deer gun, from here on out. 

• Like 1