The Great Public Land Grab

BKhunter

I brought this up on another post yesterday, but I feel it deserves its own thread. The government and big business are looking to transfer public lands owned by the american people over to state ownership, which is basically a backdoor way to privatize the land which can be shown through history and how these transfers have played out. I recommend you read the article at the link below. Previously this hasn't made to many large publications, but its nice to see larger publications starting to speak on the issue. 

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2016/08/transferring-control-of-federal-lands-would-devastate-hunting-and-fishing?src=SOC&dom=fb

If you find this disturbing which I do I suggest you look at Randy Newberg's videos he has put on You Tube on the issue as well as checking out groups like the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. This is happening out west but it is still your land held in a trust for the US people owned by the US people. Once there start getting away with it, you will more than likely see it happening here in your home state of NY and find your hunting and angling opportunities a thing of the past.

Edited by BKhunter
  • Like 4

Great post. I have been following this battle lately and it is sickening to see our public lands anywhere in this country go to big money. I've joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and donated what I could and suggest everyone who can do the same, even if you don't personally hunt or fish public lands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terry said:

Great post. I have been following this battle lately and it is sickening to see our public lands anywhere in this country go to big money. I've joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and donated what I could and suggest everyone who can do the same, even if you don't personally hunt or fish public lands.

Terry,

So have I. I was listening to a podcast with the CEO of the NDA and his stats were that there are 14 million hunters in the country and only 1% of them join a group to support our cause. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. The $35 it cost me to help protect my hunting future and conserve land. I try to join as many as I can. Hopefully when not just hunter but a larger portion of americans (Hikers, anglers bird watchers etc) realize they are getting screwed something may change. This is not just a hunting issue.

• Like 1

Agreed. Unfortunately, most people want to enjoy the spoils without fighting the war. Hopefully people will wake up and the movement to protect our lands will gain some momentum. Right now I would say the odds aren't in our favor.

And this give away of public land is the work of your beloved Republican party. If they should ever succeed you all who vote  republican will have no one to blame but yourselves. Some of you will try countering that they vote republican because the GOP supports the 2nd amendment, but what good will it be to be able to possess a hunting rifle when you no longer have a place to hunt after the republicans you voted into office have given away your prized public hunting lands? 

sounds like we all need to do what the article suggests and call our congressmen. Also sounds like we should get some of our heavy hitter groups behind this too if they aren't already. Like the NWTF. DU. Whitetails Unlimited. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Pheasants Forever. The list is bigger than those. I am happy to write to DU about this also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1