Lightfield sabots thru an IC tube

So I brain farted and bought a few boxes of Lightfields for my daughters youth 20 gauge. I'm so used to shooting them thru my slug barrels . Putting an IC tube in for her to shoot slugs.  As far as I know there is no harm but accuracy may suffer compared to a Foster type slug. Any feedback appreciated.

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

So I brain farted and bought a few boxes of Lightfields for my daughters youth 20 gauge. I'm so used to shooting them thru my slug barrels . Putting an IC tube in for her to shoot slugs.  As far as I know there is no harm but accuracy may suffer compared to a Foster type slug. Any feedback appreciated.

exactly which ones did you get? If it is the hybrids, I thought they were designed to be used in smooth bore and rifled barrels. 

• Like 1

The Lightfield Hybred series of sabot slugs uses an hour glass shaped 99% pure lead slug. The use of a post wad that acts like a wedge, expanding the slug outward causing the slug and sabot to fit the barrel of ANY shotgun, rifled or smoothbore, perfectly. The post wad is constructed with a double spring design that assures full expansion of the slug in the barrel without distortion. It also stays attached to the slug through impact. This is a very important factor for increase accuracy at longer yardages – it works like the fletching or vanes of a dart.

I'll be darned.  Yup, Hybred. I'm not as dumb as I look. The box didn't say anything pertaining to it either.  It wasn't listed under slug description but found it under a another section of their website .

Thanks CCHC !!!

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Last year I set up my daughter with her 20 ga. Mossberg Bantam.  Following the advise I received here on the forums I tried Federal Truball slugs through her IC tube and they shot amazing.  I highly recommend them and they are a little less expensive than Lightfields.

• Like 1

So at 40 yards Lightfields were pretty good. Almost perfect. Stretched to 80 and where'd they go ?! I shot better off hand with .44 pistol. Going to try Federal tru ball tomorrow or its borrowing Laws rifle or ml for her. Burnt thru $100+ in Lightfields today. Disappointed on what we got accomplished. At least limbsaver I added to her gun was a good thing. She never once winced at shooting slugs. We both so want her to get a deer on youth weekend It'll make things easier in the future with her ballet schedule : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burnt thru $100+ in Lightfields today.

I've taken many deer with foster type slugs(usually Federals). I never tried the hybrids but I have witnessed the aweful accuracy of sabots through a smoothbore.
Did you let the barrel cool enough between shots?

My slug gun has a non rifled cylinder bore barrel and I have found the Federal Tru Ball slugs the best of the current crop of Foster style slugs for accuracy, I have not killed a Deer with them because I use a rifle these days but I see no reason why they should not be outstanding.

Al

Picked up a bunch of boxes of 2.75 " truball yesterday from Cabela's. $5 a box with a rebate of $10 per 4 boxes. Bought 8 boxes to tinker with and hopefully get these dialed in. So I got 8 boxes for $20 /$2.50 per box and Lightfields are $14 per box. Can't even buy craptastic Remmington Sluggers for that. Thanks guys and hope they pan out.

Predate, yes let barrel cool in between shots.

On ‎08‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:47 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

It's that pink 870 she shoots right? I think I got a barre for an 870 20ga laying around, let me look around for it tomorrow it's not a cantilever just a rifle sight but it is rifled. Send me a pm if you're interested and it will remind me to try and find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very well may be contacting you. We'll see how the Truballs go tomorrow. Yes, the youth pink 870