Youth bear....

growalot

OK..I have thought on this a lot..the promotional "wording" the DEC has put out on it. Going over what adult hunters have said, ones that have shot them and ones that have passed and ones that hope to.

I would like some of you to stop think about all aspects,as seasoned hunters and family people about  a young person shooting a bear. The  mentors ,not necessarily parents  that will be with these new hunters.  Then give me your thoughts on the youth hunters being able to shoot a bear if it makes an appearance.

Daughter and I both already threw out our bear tags. No desire for either of us shooting one. Just our own views and no disrespect to others that would like to BTW.

We just want to finally see one some day and allow it to walk so others may have that same chance

Edited by turkeyfeathers

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Daughter and I both already threw out our bear tags. No desire for either of us shooting one. Just our own views and no disrespect to others that would like to BTW.

We just want to finally see one some day and allow it to walk so others may have that same chance

Turkeyfeathers come to northern NJ. You'll see enough to be sick of em 

Bow1 ..If that question was to me I can't personally say for I haven't had one close enough to kill with a weapon in my hand...But I have read a lot of accounts from guys and this is what stuck out with me:

I had no idea they looked so human when skinned

OMG it was to much to handle alone

Rugs and mounts are crazy expensive

Not all people drive trucks to go hunting.

It took hours to get out and they just flop around with nothing to grab....ect..ect..ect

Now here's the thing that occurred to me, economically things are a bit rough for some,many don't have funds to process let alone for a taxidermist. They haven't anyplace for the meat . Many do not have 4 wheelers nor access to one.

Now you have a situation where there are kids out there super excited about being out in the deer woods and everyone can pretty much handle a deer...hopefully it is discussed in advance..what if a bear comes along instead of a deer? Or before a deer? Or your waiting to track a bear and a big deer shows up, now what? You have a kid that is  either disappointed or one that is now around some stressed out people trying to figure out WTH to do now! Or totally freaked out at that human looking thing they killed...hhmmmm

What if it wasn't discussed and the mentor  makes the decision?..And MOM or even Dad has to say sorry no trophy mounts we haven't the $$..We can't even keep the meat. Growing up to hear what a trophy such an animal is and now just pictures to show for it...get your self into a kids head on this.

I have to wonder if instead of drawing kids in....... it could possible deflate what they thought about hunting and cause a lack of interest...There is always too sides in any situation...Now if this post pulls a few out of the clouds and back down to earth as to how the idea is so great to make a plan. Because proper planning sometimes gets lost in all the excitement...What kid wants to come back from a hunt, to a bunch of stressed out adults?:derisive:

Edited by growalot

Hides don't have to be saved. Are all deer hides? Bears taste better so room for meat? I did taxidermy a long time n skinned for 2 bear camps. The hands look sorta human in a way but the rest more like a giant coon w all the fat n round body. Just my opinion but Id say have at it. Yes plan the retrieval. Skin n butcher it yourself. Not too hard, plenty of places to find out how n it'll make all your hunting cheaper. Just see no dif

image.jpgWhat we do is have a recovery team btw. A bunch of guys sworn to help if any one gets a bear they can't handle. It works. If quads are allowed where you are ill tell you what we do w Alberta Giants. Back up quad to bear. Turn off gas, flip quad up so back is by bear. Slip tie downs under bear n Rachet him to quad. Lower quad down n he's attached n loaded. The pic is one of many. This bear was retrieved by two fellows n the quad method in permafrost. I didn't help but was in same camp

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

And there is the point...make sure you have a solid plan and if needed good explanation to a no ,on a shot...before Columbus day weekend...and make sure mentors are on track as well...not every one has a huge support system and machines...like I said $$ either...Getting into how a kid would look at all these decisions...not all that easy,for some.

• Like 1

I have killed 2 and will never EVER shoot another. They are a pain in the A$$ but if I was mentoring a kid and a bear gave us a shot there is no way in hell I would tell them they couldn't shoot. If I had to hike it out 5 miles by myself that's what I would do for the kid! I shot my first one when I was a kid had no idea what to do but I cut it up after trying to drag it 50 yds. It took 3 trips about 400yds from the road ruined the rug but I got it out and ate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, growalot said:

Bow1 ..If that question was to me I can't personally say for I haven't had one close enough to kill with a weapon in my hand...But I have read a lot of accounts from guys and this is what stuck out with me:

I had no idea they looked so human when skinned

OMG it was to much to handle alone

Rugs and mounts are crazy expensive

Not all people drive trucks to go hunting.

It took hours to get out and they just flop around with nothing to grab....ect..ect..ect

Now here's the thing that occurred to me, economically things are a bit rough for some,many don't have funds to process let alone for a taxidermist. They haven't anyplace for the meat . Many do not have 4 wheelers nor access to one.

Now you have a situation where there are kids out there super excited about being out in the deer woods and everyone can pretty much handle a deer...hopefully it is discussed in advance..what if a bear comes along instead of a deer? Or before a deer? Or your waiting to track a bear and a big deer shows up, now what? You have a kid that is  either disappointed or one that is now around some stressed out people trying to figure out WTH to do now! Or totally freaked out at that human looking thing they killed...hhmmmm

What if it wasn't discussed and the mentor  makes the decision?..And MOM or even Dad has to say sorry no trophy mounts we haven't the $$..We can't even keep the meat. Growing up to hear what a trophy such an animal is and now just pictures to show for it...get your self into a kids head on this.

I have to wonder if instead of drawing kids in....... it could possible deflate what they thought about hunting and cause a lack of interest...There is always too sides in any situation...Now if this post pulls a few out of the clouds and back down to earth as to how the idea is so great to make a plan. Because proper planning sometimes gets lost in all the excitement...What kid wants to come back from a hunt, to a bunch of stressed out adults?:derisive:

Get the bear skinned for a rug, sell the rug and get a Euro mount for the youth hunter to keep as a memento. The two rugs I have had done, the taxidermist didn't even want a deposit becasue he knew he could turn them for a buck if the hunter didn't show to pick it up.  As far as the meat, for the average size bear in NY they would end up with less meat than they would have from shooting a year and a half old whitetail. The yeild is incedibly low for the bears

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growalot said:

And there is the point...make sure you have a solid plan and if needed good explanation to a no ,on a shot...before Columbus day weekend...and make sure mentors are on track as well...not every one has a huge support system and machines...like I said $$ either...Getting into how a kid would look at all these decisions...not all that easy,for some.

Growalot why do you think it makes a dif being a kid? Either way we need to plan. Guys take way bigger game than bears n youths do too. 

Bear tastes better than venison ? Not what I've heard. I've had a roast , blech  

We don't have the $ for a bear mount nor desire a rug either   No fireplace to put it in front of lol 

no means to get bear out of woods. 

Meat yield is roughly 10% of live weight 

never have seen one so well let it walk 

again , not arguing with those who want to shoot one . Just not for me 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Huh? You have never shot a target of opportunity? the vast majority of bears in NY are taken as a by product of deer hunting. 

I've seen alot of animals from the stand while hunting deer and i didn't have a reason to shoot any of them .