Squirrel Season

Went to check a deer stand, repaired a few rungs for the owner, and took the shotgun along.

Managed to get on the board with a couple; skeeters' were rough in the woods too. This one on the ground and 2 off same tree.

IMG_0971_zpsqi3rplcw.jpg

Anyone ever grill a squirrel?

I'm thinking marinade and put in a basket type rack.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 5

Went to check a deer stand, repaired a few rungs for the owner, and took the shotgun along.

Managed to get on the board with a couple; skeeters' were rough in the woods too.

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi634.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu62%2FdinsdaleP%2Fbirdhouse%2FIMG_0971_zpsqi3rplcw.jpg&key=460aa0d1901fd54324bc97a445a3a70a569b799c668378dad7cadb8ad342383e

Anyone ever grill a squirrel?

I'm thinking marinade and put in a basket type rack.

Only way I cook it, I use the Olive Garden Italian dressing for a marinade over night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zeus1gdsm said:

What is this bot fly you all speak of? Surely not the kind that resides in and below the equator? Those larva grow the size of a 1/4 inside their host and will get into people.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Theres a bunch of species and this type infecting our squirrels doesn't get into humans.

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Only way I cook it, I use the Olive Garden Italian dressing for a marinade over night.

I'll try that.

Usually I put the quarters in with tomatoes,peppers,onions and Italian sausage or fry them like chicken wings.

So looking for something different.

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I'll try that.

Usually I put the quarters in with tomatoes,peppers,onions and Italian sausage or fry them like chicken wings.

So looking for something different.

I either fry them like chicken and make pan gravy with biscuits, or cook them in the crock pot and turn them into Brunswick Stew, gumbo, or dark meat "chicken" salad.

• Like 1

My daughter and I went out this morning and got two 1 with the 22 pistol one the 410. As we were sitting next to a tree having a snack my daughter said dad deer I looked over and 2 fawns popes out about 12 yds from us fed right beside to about 5ft. I could hear my daughters teeth chattering she was shaking so bad. What a great experience in the woods.https://vimeo.com/181510463

• Like 4

5 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Never got a black one always seem to elude me shot at 1 with my bow let season only shot I've ever had on one normally only see when I have a deer gun on me....want to shoot 1 and get the white one in my yard for a taxi mount.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When I was young feller, blacks were not exactly RARE, but they were not common either.  To see one was special..I might have seen one or two a year back then. I used to refrain from shooting them then.

In the last few years they have become much more common in my area..I now regard them as just another squirrel  in my area..In a year when I shoot perhaps 3 dozen squirrels, 2 or 3 of them are blacks.   While they are still much less numerous than greys, I sometimes see 2 or 3 in a day of hunting now.

In southern Ontario, Canada, where I hunt spring gobblers every year, it is just the opposite..I probably see 3 dozen black squirrels there for every grey.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:09 AM, stoneam2006 said:

Never got a black one always seem to elude me shot at 1 with my bow let season only shot I've ever had on one normally only see when I have a deer gun on me....want to shoot 1 and get the white one in my yard for a taxi mount.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've only seen a couple in 20+ years at my place, and wanted a mount as well. Got this guy back last year - cost more than a whitetail mount! Just a heads up on cost.

ETA; the pic is portrait aspect, so it's rotated 90 degrees here.

IMG_3142.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4