Squirrel Season

I got 6 more greys this morning...One had a warble...Current score is 3 grubs for 17 squirrels.

The one with the grub had it right in the middle of his back just ahead of his hindquarters...Must have been annoying as hell to him.. He's probably glad I shot him....

• Like 4

Kinda of off topic but I use a pcp air rifle on small game these days why ? Because I can . And ammo 22 lr is pain in the ass to find these days 

Plus  airguns don't  make much noise don't disturb the Neighbors. And the one I have is a take down version that fits in a backpack because I like to cover lots of ground when I hunt makes it easier. 

Plus they don't ruin as much meat  there not cheep the set up I have cost around $600  they use a special pump that cost alot of money by them selfs.

Im a Old guy btw not a kid  for some reason I can here the wise cracks comming lol   

You hunt with a BB gun lol  yea sometimes makes me feel like I'm. A kid again:)

5 minutes ago, Elmo said:

There are several air gun enthusiasts on the forum. I'll be making my first venture into it this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the money to spend the expensive airguns can do some amazing things these days there nothing like what  I had as a kid back in the 70s 

2 hours ago, kpkot said:

Thats just a cheap baikal russian over and under 12 gauge. Bought it used for $200. Great field gun that you don't mind getting dirty.

Looked like nice figure in the buttstock for an inexpensive gun...Sounds like you got a good deal.

• Like 1

A buddy and I cleaned 7 greys this morning...Not one warble...

I think the " BOTFLY MENACE" is about over for this year...Total so far, 3 grubs for 24 squirrels..

You squeamish types can go shoot some bushytails now without having to worry about being grossed out by a grub...

• Like 3

Got a few more squirrels this morning, I had killed 3 and hadn't even retrieved them yet and I hear something coming from behind me, I turn to see a 6pt (that I have pics of) and an 8pt that I've never seen walking up to me. I froze while they browsed in the acorns for 20 minutes just 25 yds away. I got some video of them on my phone and eventually they worked off, thankfully they didn't bust me. I'm not sure how they didn't as I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt and wasn't even up against a tree. I left shy of 1 squirrel for my limit as I didn't want to spook the bucks. It's pretty amazing that I was shooting 22quiets and those deer never spooked.

Bowtech RPM360
60X Strings
QAD Drop away
Apex Covert Pro sight
Hot Shot 4 Finger releases
Ramcat Broadheads

IMG_20160922_100115844.thumb.jpg.bf6982e
  • Like 3

Got a few more squirrels this morning, I had killed 3 and hadn't even retrieved them yet and I hear something coming from behind me, I turn to see a 6pt (that I have pics of) and an 8pt that I've never seen walking up to me. I froze while they browsed in the acorns for 20 minutes just 25 yds away. I got some video of them on my phone and eventually they worked off, thankfully they didn't bust me. I'm not sure how they didn't as I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt and wasn't even up against a tree. I left shy of 1 squirrel for my limit as I didn't want to spook the bucks. It's pretty amazing that I was shooting 22quiets and those deer never spooked.

Bowtech RPM360
60X Strings
QAD Drop away
Apex Covert Pro sight
Hot Shot 4 Finger releases
Ramcat Broadheads

IMG_20160922_100115844.jpg

Damn I want a bow like that lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

remember those bucks walking up to you and feeding calmly when you are in a store full of scent killer and the lastest gotta have it camo and stuff.....its complete and total BS...you don't need any of it...and if people spent any amount of time in the woods they'd learn to sit still, be still. its that simple.

you just saw that.

• Like 2

Got out of work a little early today and decided to check out my favorite area. Saw some sign of what I believe to be coyote near the gut piles I've been leaving. Tagged these two before it got too dark. Saw a good number of deer in the fields close by.  It's looking promising :)

ps  the black one had two wicked scars on its flank, you can see in the pic  they looked like old boy fly marks  

image.jpeg

Edited by 22Plinker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Always a good time to be looking for tree rats.

Hows that rifle working out?

Side note I let one sit in marinade and grilled it pressed flat in a basket. Not bad.

I haven't had it for very long.  Definitely needs more tuning.  At the moment, at max fill, I can knock the embers off of a cigarette at 50 yards guaranteed.  After 3 shots though, it really starts to open up.  I think I'm releasing too much air per shot.  I'll tune it some more during the off season.

13 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I haven't had it for very long.  Definitely needs more tuning.  At the moment, at max fill, I can knock the embers off of a cigarette at 50 yards guaranteed.  After 3 shots though, it really starts to open up.  I think I'm releasing too much air per shot.  I'll tune it some more during the off season.

Thinking about making the plunge into one.....

Sounds like you are getting there.