Squirrel Season

Squirrel season opens September 1...

I plan to get out in the next few days and check out my favorite hickory grove.

I  still have a few in my freezer from last year ( disjointed and frozen in water)  that I need to use up. I have five thawing today, and plan to make a squirrel fricassee this afternoon.

• Like 8

OK, back on track..............

What's your go-to squirrel gun? 

If rimfire, chambered in? 

Open sights or scope?

If shotgun, what gauge and shot size?

Camo?

Calls?

Bucket/chair/log/still hunt?

May as well fire up the crowd here.........:yes:

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

What's your go-to squirrel gun? 

If rimfire, chambered in? 

Open sights or scope?

If shotgun, what gauge and shot size?

Camo?

Calls?

Bucket/chair/log/still hunt?

In early season I use a shotgun, for two reasons...#1  ,  with all the foliage on, it's tough enough to get a clean shot with a scattergun, much less a rifle, and in early season the squirrels are in the dense treetops actively working nuts, and they don't hold still very often.

# 2, in early season one of my goals is to pack a few  ziplocs full of squirrel parts in the freezer, and the shotgun is very efficient for that..I often take a limit of squirrels (6) with 6 or 7 shells.

I have two shotguns I use most often for squirrels,  a 1936 vintage Winchester model 12 in 16 gauge choked full, and a Belgian Browning Light 20 choked modified.

Due to the tight chokes I try to avoid close shots so as not to put too much shot in the eatin' meat, but if the squirrels are in the high treetops, as they often are, these guns pop 'em out of the tallest trees with authority.

In both guns I use the cheapest promo low brass loads I can find, usually 1 ounce in the 16 and 7/8 oz. in the twenty. I prefer #6 shot.

After I have a few squirrels packed away in the freezer, I switch to a rifle.

# 1 is my Ruger 10/22 that I bought new at Nichols Discount in 1973. I have a Burris compact fixed 4X scope and use Remington Standard velocity  Target long rifle ammo.

# 2  is a NEA  single shot in 17 Mach II.  I use ELEY ammo and bought enough so  that if I die when I'm supposed to, I'll have a lifetime supply.  The scope, which is worth more than the rifle, is a Leupold M8 fixed 4X. It is a very accurate rig. I like it after the leaves fall and I have more long range shot opportunities. It shoots " minute of squirrel head" out to 100 yards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

What's your go-to squirrel gun? Stoeger uplander double barrel, full choke in both barrels

If rimfire, chambered in? .22 LR

Open sights or scope? Bead sight

If shotgun, what gauge and shot size? 12 gauge, #4

Camo? Absolutely

Calls? I bring a call with me and bark & chatter, but I can't say it's helped or hurt me, mostly just like to chatter back & forth with them.

Bucket/chair/log/still hunt? I usually bring an old turkey vest with a thick cushion

I've hunted with a .22, but most times I'll bring the shotgun, nervous about shooting in the air with a rimfire. They are incredibly tough, I've lost a few that were hit with 5 & 6 shot, so I use #4. I try to let them get out past 20 yards, but like having the full choke to reach up into the treetops. I'm supposed to get together with a guy this year who knows where to find fox squirrels, I've never shot one before, should be interesting. October/early November seems to be the best time to look for grey squirrels, they're active most of the day. Once the days get shorter and colder, they don't seem to move around as much.

Been watching them in the yard diligently making nests . Cut branches , branches fall to ground , they climb down tree , retrieve branch and climb back up to stuff in nest. Found a black walnut in driveway yesterday. We don't have a walnut tree for a quarter mile of here. I'll probably head out with the Ruger 10/.22 to my buddies come season.  Stingers and head shots. Lots of acorns there so makes for a shooting gallery. Reminds me , need a can of cream o mushroom soup to cook em up. 

I see a few fox squirrels where I deer hunt but won't pursue them. I like when I hear a "deer" coming up behind me during deer season and then get let down only to find out its a squirrel . Gets the blood pumping 

I love hunting Squirrels and I love eating them just as much. Being a big rimfire shooter I have an arsenal of Squirrel meal makers. Like Dan I start out with a scatter gun for early season because of the leaves, when the leaves are down I switch to a 22 rifle, my favorite is my Remington 541S.

094732a7-b33f-4c44-a314-72d4a4142c17_zps

This my old side button Savage 24 22/410 I picked up used a few years ago right after I got it back from Gander Mountain's gunsmith shop,  I had the barrels refinished with the Duracoat which is basically a baked on epoxy that can be done in about any color. Much more wear resistant than blue and also pretty impervious to the elements. Because of the way this gun will be used, a finish that is about perfect I think. I have taken quite a few squirrels with it plus quite a bit of other various small game. The old Savage 24 was one of the most useful hunting guns ever produced in my opinion and is great for Squirrels if the leaves are on or off.

Al

2010-09-10_075717.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paula said:

Why do you freeze them in water? I am hoping I can get out this year. 

It keeps the meat darn near perfect if (in my opinion) they are kept in a NON frost free freezer.  The defrost cycle does no good to frozen food.  People that are avid fisherman (like Dan) freeze their fillets in zip lock bags filled with water too.  My old deceased buddy Wally used to use milk cartons for the task.

Frozen like that they can last for a couple years and still be outstanding.

• Like 4

Paula Darlin', freezing in water prevents freezer burn, which is basically just drying out of the meat.

Freezer burn makes the meat dry and less palatable and gives it an "off" taste.

As Lawdwaz said, I freeze all my rabbit, squirrel and fish filets in ziplocs  in water and they are still nearly as good as fresh when I thaw them. I still try to use them within a year.  Vacuum sealing might work just as well, but I don't have  a vacuum sealer.

Uncle Nicky...I have tried  #4 shot and  although it kills well, each individual pellet drags  more  hair into the shot wound for my liking.  I have had good luck killing them with sixes.

• Like 1

I use Winchester #6 steel shot.  Have never had to take a second shot ever.  I tend to use the Ruger 10/22 even in early season as I'm more interested in the challenge than reaching a bag limit.  I do bring the 12 gauge the next time if I strike out 22LR.

• Like 1

As Lawdwaz said, I freeze all my rabbit, squirrel and fish filets in ziplocs  in water and they are still nearly as good as fresh when I thaw them. I still try to use them within a year.  Vacuum sealing might work just as well, but I don't have  a vacuum sealer.

I did the same before the vac n seal...which does work as well...

I have sat here listening to the incessant bark of the squirrels at our giant oak behind the house...Hawks have been cruising the wood lot...the squirrels are loving the acorns. I will be out this year on the 1st with my 22 rim fire...I will set up the lawn chair on the trail  above the ground under that oak . Don some camo and go have a little sit ^_^

• Like 1

OMG...about blot flies...Angel and I were out for our walk and came across a tiny little mouse in the field...I know they can cause worms if ingested so I told her no..but it was near a blind and mice have made a serious mess in all the blinds..poison doesn't seem to knock down there numbers...

Any how...I decide to quick kill with a stomp to the head...GROSS!!! I still do not understand this..... 7 fat wiggling maggots, half the size of that mouse popped out the other end...OK I lost it a bit.:bad: WTH How was it even still alive? literally there wasn't any room for it's organs!

I'm looking forward to getting out there. Going up mid Sept to add a few more stands and hope to get a little in while I walk the woods and scout. I also like to do a little on Sunday's after the morning deer hunts since I need to drive a ways to get home and don't have time to deal with a deer if I got one during an afternoon hunt. Squirrels are pretty easy to clean up then jump in the car and go.

• Like 1

Grow thanks for the visual! Blek!

My grandmother always froze fish in milk cartons of water. Worked great. I advanced into vacumme sealing but the water works as good for sure.

I am dying to get out with my son after some but if its 80-90 dgress I can wait!!

I'll be out for a few early walks with a .410 or a 20 ga., then a bit more serious about it once the first frost hits, and I'll be taking the /17 cal for a walk (head shots only).

Not a big fan of the bot fly experience, and I've never encountered them after the first few frosty mornings.