Hunting Etiquette/Unwritten Rules when around other Hunters

uberyan

Not sure if any of this gets covered in the Hunter's Ed course, but I figured it'd be good to get some opinions from you experienced hunters.

In terms of setting up a tree stand, it's pretty obvious I guess. You see someone already setup in the area, move along and find another spot.

I don't plan on stand hunting and want to stalk/still hunt which leads me to a few questions.

Off the bat, if I'm hunting public grounds, I'm going to make sure I park and start in a spot where there aren't too many other hunters around, if at all. Then make my way deeper into areas where there wouldn't be stands setup to disturb. But, I still need to make my way there and would have to cross through the outer, more populated areas.

Is it advised that I make my presence obvious and work my way through as quickly as possible at the risk of alerting any deer that may be in the area?

Or do I sneak my way through as if I was stalking at the risk of sneaking up on another hunter and alarming them?

Obviously, I don't want to scare off any game that other hunter's are waiting on but at the same time I don't want to risk getting shot at trying to be stealthy.

I will definitely be wearing blaze orange pieces here and there.

I won't be going on opening day or any crazy peak period, I'd rather go out after the initial surge even if it means less deer to hunt.

Am I on the right track? Anything else to keep in mind?

Edited by uberyan

Generally, if I see another hunter but they're facing the other way, I leave them alone and stalk in a different location.  If they facing towards me, I'll wave my hat as a "hello" and stalk in the opposite direction of whatever corridor it looks like they're hunting.  I'll even use hand signals to let them know which direction I'm going to walk towards and give them an opportunity to express objection.  Some times, I'm so close to the hunter before I even realize they're there that I start a conversation with them.  Ask them what direction they're hunting and I'll walk in a direction so that I might kick deer towards them.  Whatever you do though, don't make a lot of noise to scare/alert the animals.  If you show proper etiquette, most hunters won't have an issue with you.  It's public land.  Everyone has just as much rights to be there and no one expects to have the whole place to themselves.

• Like 1

I still hunt all of gun season and alot on public land. My theory is if I see them wave and try and plan a route to my destination that may kick them a critter. Shoot I've had guys see me heading one direction and walk a few 100 yards from me parallel till one or another branches off. Actually pushed many deer to guys this way and have killed a few jumped to me. Like said don't walk loud if you feel your going to startle someone a quick bird like whistle will do nothing crazy. Another thing I have always done is if hear a shot on state land get situated for a few min. Let things play out if they missed the deer could be heading toward you or if there was more than one also. I've never had a problem on stateland and once sat right under a guy in a climber during bow season while I was on the ground...never even saw him

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Don't skip.opening day. Best advice is get familiar with the area you want to hunt and get in there early.in the dark using minimum light . Set up and wait when you bored still hunt. , the rest of season still hunt everywhere those close areas are often passed by as everyone thinks they have to get deep.. deer pattern us same as we do them.