Vernal Pools

My dad went to a local event earlier this yr on vernal pools. Within a day of it he was out making some on the land. As of now he's up to 4. All were dry till some recent rain. Now all have some water holding in them and they are already being used! They are pretty easy to make and can provide a good water source for deer.

https://www.epa.gov/wetlands/vernal-pools

KIMG0696.jpg

KIMG0697 (1).jpg

KIMG0698.jpg

KIMG0699.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I want to build one. I love herps. I have a good location on a piece of land I just bought.

Do they recommend the logs, rocks, etc? If Dad has any good links on how to build one, please send them along.

The guy demonstrated one and said to add some structure to it and some dead logs inside and leaning against for the critters. After we got some rain we had some frogs already in them!

I have a stream that runs the entire length of my property, its Herp heaven...have all sorts of critters around, loads of toads, frogs, salamanders, snakes...very cool what water attracts.

Yea I have a very large stream that runs the length of the place I'm waiting to close on... I can't wait to explore the creek bed! Look for where the main crossings are and set up off of them! The deer have to cross to get to the neighbors corn fields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk