1 pin site yes or no

Big Indian

I only use 1 pin on my sight, always have. My bow shoots straight out to 25 yards (max i shoot at game in woods) so one pin works great for me and removes the need to have a cluster of pins in view, which for me is annoying. I'm talking about a fixed pin, not those pendulum types.

I tried a single pin slider sight and I didn't like it . didn't like moving the pin to the marked yardage in the heat of the moment to much movement . How I set up mine my wife's and boys sights is I use green for 20 , yellow for 30 and red for 40 . this i find works well for us because green is go , yellow slow down and red stop take your time . We all do well splitting pins for yardage gaps and it works out pretty good . Really you need to just buy or borrow s single pin to try because you may love it . 

Single pin sliding HHA sight for me. I never slide it though. Just sight in at 25 yards and I'm good from 0 to 30 my max hunting yardage. Have used single pin for the last 20 years or so. Switched from multi pin after missing a chip shot on nice buck due to confusion, excitement and perhaps a touch of buck fever! The single pin just keeps it simple and one less thing to worry about when things get exciting.

• Like 1

HHA here on some hunting bows and a 3D bow.  definitely like the adjustable collar to change brightness.  you'll aim way more precisely with a single pin.  down side is hunting a stand with multiple trails, especially intersecting.  deer change trails at a moments notice and could be 10+ yards different than expected.  you won't usually have time to adjust it.  got to keep an eye on it too.  don't practice at 30+ before your head out and then forget its not on say 20 yards.  seeing more thru your sight window is a plus.  no pins you're not using to get in the way.  they work, as do multiple fixed pins.  just use it and get used to it before hand.

I use a slider single pin Tru Glo. The HHA is a better site but I had this one and I'm used to it. I have it marked at 18 , 30 and 40 yards. Those marks are only about 3/8 of an inch apart total. If I used multiple pins they would look way too clustered. I leave it set at 18 yds. and if I need to make  a quick adjustment in the woods I can. Usually I just compensate with aiming high or low. It's great for 3d shooting as you can adjust and hold on for different ranges.

one pin slider. Still have to add the touch master to mine for "at full draw adjust ability". 

I love the simplicity and accuracy of these. I am on target to 30 and if I ever go beyond and need adjustment there is plenty of time becasue the shot would need to be perfect and plenty of time for me to take it. 

http://www.sight-master.com/p22.html

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Just went from a 5 pin axcel armourtech pro to an Apex Covert Pro single LED cross hair sight and don't think I'll ever look back. Sight picture is clean as you can get and the led has 11 brightness settings so no starburst or halo. My accuracy improved the first time I shot it, should've done it sooner.

Only advantage to multiple pins is you do not need to change yardage. 

Single pin offers clear sight without multiple pins glaring in the sun.  As stated if you set it at 25 yards it is really easy to compensate with no adjustments out to 30.  No in between shooting of pins.  Accuracy is better overall. 

More advantages than disadvantages with a single pin.  Now I just need to purchase one, lol.  

• Like 2

Only sight I've ever used. Perfect!  Dead on at 25.  Hold at the top of the back behind the shoulder for 35 and that's if it stating still and relaxed. Nothing farther. 

https://www.truglo.com/archery-sights/pendulum.asp?catid=14EF030088AA44CBAC06E6F08F4B71C1

Edited by nybuckboy

On August 24, 2016 at 11:28 AM, NYBowhunter said:

I only use 1 pin on my sight, always have. My bow shoots straight out to 25 yards (max i shoot at game in woods) so one pin works great for me and removes the need to have a cluster of pins in view, which for me is annoying. I'm talking about a fixed pin, not those pendulum types.

What's wrong with those pendulum types. All I've ever used. 

https://www.truglo.com/archery-sights/pendulum.asp?catid=14EF030088AA44CBAC06E6F08F4B71C1

Grew up using pendulums, switched to a 5 pin for two seasons and switched to a single pin adjustable. I can tell you that you will be far more accurate especially at ranges 30+ with a single pin. The sight picture is 1000% clearer. Between a pendulum and single slider I see no advantage to a pendulum. In my experience they drop drastically after 30 yards. As many stated if you set your slider between 22-28 yards you should have no problem covering 0-30 or 35 yards (with proper practice and knowledge).  Past that you should be able to have time to adjust and if you don't you shouldn't take the shot anyway. The sight I use is a axcel accutouch and it works great I'm a big fan of the accu click system. It makes adjusting a breeze as long as you know what yardage your currently set you don't have to look it stops in place at each set yardage mark. I do prefer the brightness of an HHA but you can always add a sight light. Id get and practice with a single pin wish I would have sooner.

Edited by Hookhunter20
  • Like 1