Ithaca Mag 10

Muzzy

Sure.  The 10 gauge actually came back from the dead when steel shot was mandated.  The Mag 10 was the first semi auto 10 gauge offered for sale.  It was designed to give goose hunters more range with steel shot, but only 12 gauge magnum level recoil, due to its gas operated action.  Besides steel, the various heavy shot options will also perform well in a Mag 10.

What choke does the gun have though?  A tight full choke may be too much for steel shot to pattern well.

As VJP said, the Mag 10 was developed BECAUSE of steel shot...That was before the development of the 3.5 inch 12 gauge , so it was a definite step up performance wise from the 3" 12 gauge...

A disadvantage of the big 10 is that is is a big, heavy gun... I wouldn't want to haul one much further than my back yard... It also takes some getting used to swinging on waterfowl...Not what you would call a dynamically lively gun for wingshooting...

The development of the 3.5 inch 12 pretty much put the magnum 10 gauge on the back burner... Payloads for the long 12 gauge are nearly equal to the 10 mag, and there are much lighter and better handling guns available...They do KICK like hell, however.. ??? ...

Personally, if I can't get my game close enough to kill with a 3" 12 gauge, I guess I don't need to kill 'em that bad... ;) ....

I just purchased an Ithaca Mag 10 ,, what type of shells and brand do you use for turkey and coyotes ?

Did it come with wheels? ;D

A few of my friend bought some very early Ithaca Mag 10's when they were introduced.  IIRC Dick Kirby brokered the deal for a multi gun order.

I bet Dick killed a tandem dump truck load of birds with his.

• 2 weeks later...