Never tried it

Paratrooper395

One easy way to find them is to walk the perimeter of cornfields. They're super destructive to them. Look for bear paths going into the corn than find the spot w the most damage n start there. Theyll make a mess of the field if they're in it, it'll look like a tornado landed. 

if you don't have corn look to mast trees, beech n hickory seem favorites. If you have berry trees n Theres fruit almost a guarantee they'll hit that., the trees will show sign of them climbing but it's not perfect claw marks so don't expect to see that, more like scuff marks all the way up tree. Think bout it, what else would cause that.

I butcher everything myself and its some of the best meat there is btw

• Like 1

Both bear I shot were shot while deer hunting. 1 was still hunting in beeches in a blizzard the other was still hunting with a bow in a rain/sleet storm through an old apple orchard. One was with a gun the other a bow and I wouldn't shoot another unless it was already in the back of my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am hoping to get crack at one with the ML up in the Adirondacks this fall.   I got a glimpse of one last fall and there were many sighting around my in-laws camp.  They have ATV's, ropes and pulleys up there, so getting it into the truck would be no problem.  A buddy shot small one down on the PA line a few years ago and gave me a bit of the meat and it was very good.   I have heard that those that field dress less than 200 pounds are good, but the larger ones are not so hot.  Another buddy shot a big one up in Canada that same year and the guides just brought the hide and skull out of the woods, telling him the meat would not be fit for dogs.  

There is a lot less usable meat on a bear than a deer.  I can usually extract about half the field dressed weight in boneless venison from a deer while I hear that you only get about 10% of a bear's live weight in boneless meat.   They carry most of their weight in hide, bone, guts, and fat.  I would be thankfull for one of any size.  The crockpot can make just about anything taste good and the rug from a big one would be cool.     

• Like 1

most NY bears are stumble ons, as the best areas that hold them and also have potential food areas are relatively few, (keeping in mind the relatively few bears scattered through the state).

If you really want a bear, a Canadian guided hunt is pretty inexpensive, and you should see multiple bears. I have been up 6 times (1600.oo ) to  Quebec and New Brunswick. Great time, for  a paid hunt, it is  a bargain.

On 8/27/2016 at 9:55 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

One was with a gun the other a bow and I wouldn't shoot another unless it was already in the back of my truck.

Haha, I've heard the meat is pretty awful on them.

The only bear I've ever seen in NY are in the adirondacks, mainly at the old forge campgrounds. Actually by mainly I mean every time and only there. I had one steal a bag of marshmallows out of the back of my van while I was loading it up (he walked up as I was walking between the van and the cabin). I got vid of the entire thing. It was one of the huge bags and that bear had quite the treat.

Wow, well that explains why I never see them. 

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Core it's the best meat you ever had. Comments like the one bout hearing how awful they are is the reason folks won't try. They've all heard it's bad or had a bad experience but weren't exactly sure how to cook it. Not knocking you. Shoot one, take care of it promptly, try it n than decide

You have to get the smaller ones to eat. Once they get to big the meat is really stringy. I have also read and heard that in the older ones, it's harder to kill the bacteria they have in the meat.

I have never made them a target. Seen a few ( 3 ), but only one while hunting. If I was to hunt them, it would be stalking, getting on a good food and water source and tracking back towards the den. I really don't see just sitting in a stand waiting as viable option unless over bait.

My buddy did a bear hunt north of the border and his hunting partner shot a bear. Outfitter and guy started skinning it, outfitter cuts out the back straps and says you don't want the rest of it. Said the outfitter didn't even eat bear meat.

Ive never tried it but I hear you really have to cook it. I prefer my meat rare so not sure id be a fan.

8 minutes ago, zag said:

My buddy did a bear hunt north of the border and his hunting partner shot a bear. Outfitter and guy started skinning it, outfitter cuts out the back straps and says you don't want the rest of it. Said the outfitter didn't even eat bear meat.

Ive never tried it but I hear you really have to cook it. I prefer my meat rare so not sure id be a fan.

I've had it given to me. Tried as a steak, it was.....OK. Put some in a crock pot with beef stock and made a stew and it was great. 

1 hour ago, zag said:

Cooking it through and through is a must, unless you like trichinosis 

9 hours ago, ....rob said:

You have to get the smaller ones to eat. Once they get to big the meat is really stringy. I have also read and heard that in the older ones, it's harder to kill the bacteria they have in the meat.

I have never made them a target. Seen a few ( 3 ), but only one while hunting. If I was to hunt them, it would be stalking, getting on a good food and water source and tracking back towards the den. I really don't see just sitting in a stand waiting as viable option unless over bait.

Rob it's pretty impossible to make the meat stringy, least I know not how. I've eaten all types n yes the young ones may taste slightly better n it also depends how they were harvested. Running em w dogs you can taste the adrenaline. 

Guys being limited in cooking experience of it doesn't appear it may give best options. Imo grill it w either accent food seasoning on chops or the same (grill) n brush butter n Worcestershire on it. Top w green pepper at end it's fantastic. You gotta grill it to get some excess fat off imo. Spring bears fresh from hibernation can taste dif but never ever pass a fall bear. Best meat you've ever had.

8 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Cooking it through and through is a must, unless you like trichinosis 

The trichinosis threat is real just as  in older time pork, tularemia in rabbits. Salmonella in eggs, chicken or other diseases but don't overkill it n don't stress over bear meat. I skinned for 2 bear camps, hunted bears all over n never once even heard of anyone getting sick

• Like 1

Don't count on older time pork, a good amount of 4-H hogs reach butcher shop  shelves and those hogs are NOT raised in the concrete "sterile" environments seen on modern hog farms..all ours were field raised hogs auctioned off after showing...

Edited by growalot

Growalot has anyone Youve known gotten sick? My uncle used to raise hogs 30 years ago n no one ever did. Not saying it can't happen just curious. Seems like something so small odds wise especially if properly prepared it's not worth worrying about. Many pick mushrooms too n the wrong one can kill us

15 hours ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Core it's the best meat you ever had. Comments like the one bout hearing how awful they are is the reason folks won't try. They've all heard it's bad or had a bad experience but weren't exactly sure how to cook it. Not knocking you. Shoot one, take care of it promptly, try it n than decide

^_^ I will try and get one if I see one. Not likely where I hunt. If anything, maybe my comment will result in better odds for those who like bear, though!