Cartridge headstamp in wooden stock?

It looks like it would be easy enough to do with the proper boring bit and some glue. Keep in mind  that it might negatively affect the resale value of the gun, however..

I don't approve of Shane's scope, but since he has killed many more 200+ pound whitetail bucks than I have ever seen (  I have never laid eyes on a 200 lb dressed whitetail)  I guess I will let it slide....<<grin>>....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I embedded pennies, representing year of manufacture, in most of the furniture, boats, and musical instruments I've made. The owners don't even know.

I've done in excess of 300 residential interior stair builds and I put a front page of the local newspaper in everyone, usually behind the first riser or in the bottom newel post. Just for fun.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pygmy said:

It looks like it would be easy enough to do with the proper boring bit and some glue. Keep in mind  that it might negatively affect the resale value of the gun, however..

I don't approve of Shane's scope, but since he has killed many more 200+ pound whitetail bucks than I have ever seen (  I have never laid eyes on a 200 lb dressed whitetail)  I guess I will let it slide....<<grin>>....

Remember boys and girls, most of those big buck were done in with williams peeps on the receivers!

The Benoits only went to scopes when Larry was getting older and saw the scope on Bryce Towsleys 7600!

It's a recent development, one I've tried and yes it is easier to shoot accurately, but when it snows the peep just works better.  And in any weather the gun handles/carries better.

Do you think the stock was drilled just under cartridge diameter and glued in?  I though I read he cut the case and hammered it into the stock.

2 hours ago, Jaeger said:

Remember boys and girls, most of those big buck were done in with williams peeps on the receivers!

The Benoits only went to scopes when Larry was getting older and saw the scope on Bryce Towsleys 7600!

It's a recent development, one I've tried and yes it is easier to shoot accurately, but when it snows the peep just works better.  And in any weather the gun handles/carries better.

Do you think the stock was drilled just under cartridge diameter and glued in?  I though I read he cut the case and hammered it into the stock.

Jaeger...I  stated my disapproval because the scope is a large variable NOT just the fact that it is a scope.

I hate large heavy variables on hunting rifles..A  high quality fixed 2.5  or 3X would be much  more desirable for Lanny's style of hunting and would have a minimal effect on the handling characteristics.  Not to mention the fact that a big variable just plain LOOKS stupid on a woods rifle.   My opinion only... <<grin>>....That rifle just CRIES for a Leupy fixed 3X, or at most a  1.5 x 4 x20mm variable.   Peep sights are cool too. I have used one for years on my old TC Hawken.

He may very well have cut the casing off and hammered it in.   I also think that boring out a hole and gluing the case head in would be less likely to damage the stock.

• Like 1

If I remember from my Benoit Bucks book by towsley and later articles, towsleys gun was a 7600 in 35 Whelen and he had a leupold 1.5-6 on it when Larry Benoit, with ageing eyes, said he'd think about it.  I think the benoit sons, at least Shane, went with trujicon scopes.  They are big and I agree, just because it's an '06 dosent mean it needs a big scope,esp. in the woods.

Mine had the 1-4 on it and was great but I did not like the way it carried.

got to find the pic with the caption he pounded that case head in.

They also carved their stock with deer heads and even painted them.  Some had lucky feathers tied to the stocks as well.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:38 AM, Pygmy said:

Jaeger...I  stated my disapproval because the scope is a large variable NOT just the fact that it is a scope.

I hate large heavy variables on hunting rifles..A  high quality fixed 2.5  or 3X would be much  more desirable for Lanny's style of hunting and would have a minimal effect on the handling characteristics.  Not to mention the fact that a big variable just plain LOOKS stupid on a woods rifle.   My opinion only... <<grin>>....That rifle just CRIES for a Leupy fixed 3X, or at most a  1.5 x 4 x20mm variable.   Peep sights are cool too. I have used one for years on my old TC Hawken.

I have a Swarovski 3-12 x 56(!) sitting here that has never been mounted, just too good of a price to pass up at the time. PV series with a rail mount and even has a nice jumbo 30mm tube!

HA....I need to buy something to mount it on, kill some stuff and post some pics just for your entertainment. :taunt:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I have a Swarovski 3-12 x 56(!) sitting here that has never been mounted, just too good of a price to pass up at the time. PV series with a rail mount and even has a nice jumbo 30mm tube!

HA....I need to buy something to mount it on, kill some stuff and post some pics just for your entertainment. :taunt:

Put it on a seriously accurate squirrel gun, like a well-customised 10/22. They give up and fall out of the trees without a shot being fired just at the sight of it. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Put it on your Blaser...They're weird looking any way, so it couldn't hurt it....<<GRIN>>....

It would give it a genuine EUROPEAN  look....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Put it on your Blaser...They're weird looking any way, so it couldn't hurt it....<<GRIN>>....

It would give it a genuine EUROPEAN  look....

Here's the same scope but just a pitiful 50mm objective....can't get any weirder that that!

PH said I was the first American he ever hunted with that owned a Blaser; thought we just bought good rifles not Euro junk.:bad:

Maybe I should pound a 300 Roy' head into the stock? Hmmmm, maybe I should melt it in?

You like them sweet 30 cal magnums too, right?:rofl:

DSC_0483_zpsq2p6rzj8.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Yeah, about as much as I love a root canal...

LOL....

Need one after shooting one from a bench.

Just thinking I have these nickle plated 300WBY cases to add some real bling to pimp my gun.

Maybe add some Warthog ivory diamonds in the sides of the stock just like a genuine Roy' classic.

IMG_0935_zps3vzujqhl.jpg

• Like 1

Have you ever saw some of the Benoits "art" work on the stocks of their rifles? Just because they did it doesn't mean it looks good! Remington 14's or 141's " I'd have to look in the cabinets to be sure which one" had a rendition of a case head in the in the receiver and I always thought that would be awesome to do on my 76's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Have you ever saw some of the Benoits "art" work on the stocks of their rifles? Just because they did it doesn't mean it looks good! Remington 14's or 141's " I'd have to look in the cabinets to be sure which one" had a rendition of a case head in the in the receiver and I always thought that would be awesome to do on my 76's.

I think they they both did, Stubby.

By the way, Jaeger said in a previous post that his 7600 still has a 22" barrel.

You could probably fix that for him..  Still got that hacksaw ?

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I never said it look goooood!!!!!!!  Ugly as sin!  

And I have the Towsley Benoit books (one signed by Larry and the other by some of the family, Shane I think, he was the brains behind their marketing) to prove it.

Real funny story (on me!) I was the one who ran up the prices on ebay and amazon from about $70  to well over $300 buying old first edition copies of Larrys book "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life" right before they came out with the reprint!!  Then the prices dropped like a rock!

Bye the bye, can anyone remember which rifle or rifle actually came with a cartridge head inlaid into the stock.  I remember on company did it to some models for a while way back in the '70's or '80's?

I think they they both did, Stubby.

By the way, Jaeger said in a previous post that his 7600 still has a 22" barrel.

You could probably fix that for him..  Still got that hacksaw ?

Just got new blades the other day! She's all ready to go.

I just checked in the closet and you're correct they both did. Now I had those old girls in my hands again I'm gonna have to shoot them tomorrow when I got time:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2016 at 4:25 PM, Pygmy said:

Here ya go Pygmy 219# dressed. Over 46" around his chest.

BigBuck2004compressed.jpg

For some perspective, I'm about 285# on the hoof in that picture which would have been about the same live weight for that buck.