Duracoat

If you are adventurous a Duracoat do it yourself kit can be purchased on Amazon, there is also a You Tube video that shows how it is applied. I would not be applying it to anything fancy but if I had an old beater around that I wanted to refinish I would give it a shot.

I had Gander Mountain's gunsmith do the barrels of an older Savage 24 and they came out pretty nice and the finish has held up great.

Al

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N35HKMK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=6DC0EHBXRTXH&coliid=IH5HIWFRCWSIL&psc=1

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

here's my $.02.  The next generation process to Duracoat is Cerakote.  It is a electrolytic process that chemically bonds a ceramic paint resins to metal.  It is very tough, and doesn't thin as Duracoat will overtime.  Although some say that it can chip if not applied correctly.  There is also no DIY kits for that.  Its the process that TC uses for their Weathershield finishes.  I have it on two TC Prohunter Muzzleloaders.  It's tough as nails and hunts in the worst of all conditions.  Literally all you do is wipe the barrel.  So I'd say Cera over Dura.  

Even better than that is just having a barrel Black Oxide processed.  Like blueing it is an oxidation process.  No paint of any kind.  Many smiths offer it.  I had a Benelli barrel and action done for my son a few years back this way.  The finish is perfect, uniform look and it is tougher than regular matte blue, perfect for the goose blind.  It has sort of a rough texture to it. By that I mean not as sheen as a gloss blue, a lot closer to a matte or parkerized level of smoothness.  Also, just wipe the gun off when it comes inside.  It does not scratch.  I had a 30-06 700 built for me by Red Hawk Rifles many years ago with some poker winnings that has historically been the rifle I reach for. They did the barrel, bolt and action metal in this process.  It isn't anything sexy to look at, but it holds up better than anything I've ever seen or heard of.