Considering a move

stoneam2006

Anyone here lived and hunted in SC NC TENN or GA....considering moving to greenville sc area or within a few hrs of there as my whole family is going. Just looking for in site on hunting and trapping as I'm sure the fishing is excellent

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Coworker of mine recently relocated from Westchester to Greenville. He said his taxes in 1 year in SC are the same as they were in Eastchester in 1 month! He doesn't fish or hunt, so I can't speak on that. I know they get lots of tags though. I have contemplated going to Wacamaw or something like that to hunt deer in SC. Looks like a decent operation for deer hunting (no fences).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I lived in Summerville SC in the late 70s early 80s. Just outside of Charleston. Deer hunting with dogs is cool!  And deer season runs from the end of August to January. So many hunting and fishing opportunities down there. Had a good friend, he's passed on, in Greenville-Spartenburg area. We hunted and hiked many times in the Pisgah Forest area. Absolutely beautiful country, the blue ridge and smokies! I still have family in the area. Cost of living is lower. But so too is the pay scale.

• Like 1

Well I've looked into the job market down there and the machinist market is strong right now competitive to what I make now...houses are expensive and so is land but taxes are lower as stated. Obviously I love the gun laws also. I'm worried about the heat bc I don't do well with that. I've been reading about hunting and trapping regs and man they seem goofy to me. I just worry I'll get down there and hate the outdoors they have. I love to trap and from what I've read seems like there's some hoops to jump thru there.

14 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Well I've looked into the job market down there and the machinist market is strong right now competitive to what I make now...houses are expensive and so is land but taxes are lower as stated. Obviously I love the gun laws also. I'm worried about the heat bc I don't do well with that. I've been reading about hunting and trapping regs and man they seem goofy to me. I just worry I'll get down there and hate the outdoors they have. I love to trap and from what I've read seems like there's some hoops to jump thru there.

The south is not really trapping country, because the critters never really grow much fur. You could look into pest control as a side business though.

The heat and critters ie snakes and gators took a bit of getting used to. But I  had some very good years down there. And made some lifelong friends. Never trapped down there so I can't help you there. The Greenville area is in the NW part of the state close to the mountains and not as hot as the coatal areas. Will even get a little snow up there from time to time in the winter. But will be cutting grass in mid March. Oh yeah, the worse thing I ever ran into, outdoors was chiggers!  Lets just say I had them "everywhere" and it was horrendous! 

26 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

How many years in the trade do you have?

The South is an ok place to visit in the cooler months, but I could never live down there year round.   I spent most of last week working down on the Gulf coast and that is about all of that I could take.   Walking out of the air-conditioned hotel each morning your glasses fog over instantly in the 100% humidity.  Forget about doing anything "physical" outside from June thru September.   Letting folks live there almost tax-free is about the only way to get them to stay.  

You don't realize how good we have it in NY in the summer until you spend some time down there.   As far as the deer go, the further south you go, the smaller they get.  In Southern AL, MS etc a 2-1/2 year old buck often field dresses less than 100 pounds.  Land overrun with wild hogs makes foodplotting completely futile.   You usually have to work for hours to get a largemouth bass to bite and they lack smallmouths down there.   I could never live somewhere without my favorite fish and only tiny deer (you cant eat the antlers).      

Our family also spends a week every summer in Virgina beach (visiting family) and the heat is nearly as bad there.   The small plane from Mobile AL landed a long way from the gate in Charlotte NC last week and the walk outside at mid-day, under the hot sun, to the air-conditioned airport was brutal.  Just like Hank Jr says, "that hot old sun makes you beg for your next breath".   If you don't do well in the heat, don't do it.

Tennesse  you say... My nephew and his kids and their friends do ok. He hot bigger but it's hard for me to go through all the pics and find the good ones . Tennesse is a gold mine for,white tails and so,over looked. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 4

I was stationed down there for 8 years between NC and SC and killed a ton of deer turkeys and hogs. I loved the long seasons and arm lengths of tags. That being said I wouldn't go back for any amount of money! Living on the ocean was awesome and I fished nearly every day and hunted the days I didn't but I never got used to the heat and hated it as much the day I left as I did the day I got there.

• Like 1

I was stationed down there for 8 years between NC and SC and killed a ton of deer turkeys and hogs. I loved the long seasons and arm lengths of tags. That being said I wouldn't go back for any amount of money! Living on the ocean was awesome and I fished nearly every day and hunted the days I didn't but I never got used to the heat and hated it as much the day I left as I did the day I got there.

Honestly my biggest worry

On 8/25/2016 at 6:51 PM, stoneam2006 said:

Just my personal opinion I don't seem much value in moving for guns unless it's just a small ancillary benefit. I do think there is a very real chance of another AWB in the near future, and at that point there will be a huge averaging effect as then many other states basically adopt the same kind of "AWB" that NY has. It would suck to move because you want a thirty round mag and a vertical foregrip and then 18 months later federal law precludes them again.

I lived in the south. I'd do it again and I would go for the carolinas or maybe Tennessee, but I can't pretend I miss the summer heat. It's devastating and long. North Carolina or virginia are nice spots IMO and super central to everything; you can get north or south in a comfortable day drive.

Also, maybe it's because I'm heavier than back in the day, but holy heck I can't even stand the summer in NY anymore. I'm absolutely *sick* of the summer this year. We've now had three months well into the 80's constantly. Now, try living in the south, the summer is longer and more brutal. I actually found people in general far less into outdoor activities in the south. During the summer months they'd stay in their air conditioned bubbles and there were not even many parks. Of course the winter is never harsh, and everywhere has air conditioning.

The idea is to live in somewhere like New York but from Jan1-end of March winter down in FL :)

Edited by Core

I was looking around Ellijay Ga last year and all i can say is i hope ya like heat and humidity . I saw alot of deer down there . There were alot of places to trout fish down there. The place i stayed had a sign that said if you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom make sure you look for scorpions. they like the cool tile floor. Lol. They had to an exterminator come every month for all the bugs. Looks like ill be in NY for a while.

• Like 1

Ya ,screw that heat . I don't know how people enjoy that crap.

Don't let them fool you, they don't like it either. I moved down to NC right after high school and the first thing I noticed was that everyone there travels from one air conditioned space to another. Leave your central air house in your AC car to your Ac job. (Unless your a unlucky soul and have to work outside). They all complained about the heat as much as I did and stay inside as much as possible. I like being outside so to me that just seems like a dumb lifestyle so I left after about a year and a half. That and I never could get used to people calling soda, "pop". Not to mention, "pop" has replaced water as the most important liquid for consumption. Never seen people drink so much soda!

I hate NY taxes, laws and libs and will someday again leave this state but it won't be for anywhere too far south where it gets hot and humid for 9 months of the year. Iowa has a farm just waiting for me to scoop up in a few years down the road....

• Like 2

On 8/30/2016 at 0:01 PM, stoneam2006 said:

Yes they are....wife's family is down there too

Then, heat aside, I'm not sure why you've not left. Sounds like everyone already has. Just make sure your air conditioning doesn't break!

The shocking thing is some people are employed shingling roofs down south and they do it in the summer. I've never done it but I imagine the closest thing to hell on earth is shingling a roof over black asphalt when it's 96 outside. 

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

I love fall and winter too much to move south but the heat wouldn't bother me. You get used to being in an oven after a while, I learned that this summer at work. I have always worked in food service as a manager but the current operation I run is by far the hottest environment I have found. Turns out Jails don't have AC in their kitchens, thankfully my office does (though it struggles). It gets over 100 anytime the temp goes up outside but when I leave it feels great when its 92 outside. lmao

I love Maine but really want to explore the western states when its my turn to move. I cant say that family would be a reason to stay or move for me other than my kids, but that's me.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2016 at 6:51 PM, stoneam2006 said:

You would acclimatize, and the heat becomes no big deal. I grew up here and lived in Florida for a while. It took less than a year to acclimatize, as I worked outside. It took 7 or 8 years after moving back North that I could take the cold like I used to.

• Like 1