Target deer?

WNY Bowhunter

So, here we are a month away from bow season. Having a "Hit List" is all the rage these days. Any one else have a top hit lister picked out for opening day?

My top priority in life right now is my wife and our daughter that is due two weeks from tomorrow! I can't believe that she's going to be here so soon, it's really nerve racking. To distract my mind a bit, I've really been focused on tagging an early season buck. I am so ready to get into a tree that I can't stand it!!!  I have never really targeted a specific buck before, but going into this season I think that I have a good prospect lined up. I call this guy Brows (I believe he's 5 yrs old) he resided in this same corner of the farm last year too. Not a monster rack for his age but he has a HUGE body. I saw him standing 40 yds off the road last night with 4 other bucks...he is considerably larger in body frame. His body actually make his head seem small!!! His bachelor group has been very active in this clover field during the evenings all summer long. This daylight movement makes him very killable and an ideal early season candidate to pursue. I set a stand for him in the corner of this field a couple days ago. In a few weeks when the acorns start dropping and rubs/scrapes start popping up I will try to hang another set closer to his bedding area. If conditions are right, I really think there is a pretty good chance of him or one of his shooter buddies showing on Oct 1st!

zIMG_0069_1.jpg

zIMG_0123.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

I normally have a couple bucks that I know are in the area and I hold out for, but it doesn't always pan out for me. I am the type though that can take a smaller buck later in archery as it winds down and be just as happy, with that said I do like having a couple or few bucks on my list, there's just nothing like seeing that "target " buck coming toward you and having your heart pumping.

First off, congrats to you and your soon to be baby daughter !!

Love the pic of the 2 bucks looking at one another. Appears as if it could be one looking into a mirror

Nice brow tines on that bad boy. Sounds like you have it figured out on how to get a crack at him. Good luck with him.

Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family.  Having kids can certainly cut in on hunting time, but I wouldn't change it for the world.  I can't wait until my boys are old enough to take with me.

Good luck with that great looking buck, though!  

To your question....I don't have a specific target buck, but if I get one like that on trail cam it will be a no brainer!