What could these be for?

22Plinker

No. They are empty. I'd guess at maybe 10x15 inches. Maybe 8 inches deep. The tops are placed directly behind them. Each box has a small stick wedged into the ground on the sides of the boxes. 

I flipped one one over and there appears to be nothing significant underneath the box or the lid. Nothing appears to be attached to them either. 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, 22Plinker said:

No. They are empty. I'd guess at maybe 10x15 inches. Maybe 8 inches deep. The tops are placed directly behind them. Each box has a small stick wedged into the ground on the sides of the boxes. 

I flipped one one over and there appears to be nothing significant underneath the box or the lid. Nothing appears to be attached to them either. 

image.jpeg

Defintely stealth boxes for coyotes and pumacougars..

They are small because the spooks prefer to stock juveniles rather than adults because the younger animals adapt better to their new environment than adults.

I got this information directly from a guy who knows the second cousin of the chief agent of  the BOCSORA.... Bureau Of Covert Stocking Of Restricted Animals...

The good news is that not ALL of this is funded by taxpayers/sportsmen's money...Insurance companys buy the stealth boxes and pay a portion of the fuel expenses for the black stealth helicopters that deliver the "goods" , as they call them in the business..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mossberg500Guy said:

Maybe Pheasant release boxs? i know they release some every year but why would they leave the box out there?

Here we go; I finally have an answer to a question........

No, they're not from pheasant releases.  That type of box looks nothing like that. And, they aren't left behind for any reason. 

I would think that if left by biologist type researchers, they would leave some pretty noticeable and prominent identification on them. 

Well plink, you have a real mystery there. Anything done by officials would not be left discarded in the woods. Check with the DEC. Since no one has a reasonable guess, maybe you have stumbled into some weird illegal activity of some kind. I really have no explanation of any sort that makes any sense. Let us know what you find out.

LOL. That is where that pic was taken. That little pull off just north of Potter road, off into the woods about 100 yards and 300 yards north of the parking area. 

I was thinking it was the same spot, looked identical to what I saw. I saw them last summer though. Small world!