Huge duck

turkeyfeathers

Went out at 6 am this morning in my buddies Nitro bass boat onto Lake Erie. Weird wind again and quite choppy even inside the breakwall. Jigged some crayfish and 3" Gulp minnows. Buddy caught 3 smallies , I caught one small one and daughter blanked. Tried to get out to fish the structures out at beginning of the river but boat kept coming out of the water. So we checked out the worlds largest rubber duck. Holy smokes , people on land snapping pics , kayaks everywhere and this thing is huge. Looking forward to fall and fishing the mouth of the Cattaragus for steelies 8afe6514f824d5d78920c9cfb4a413ce.jpg152224b3e62145efce26d7c11ff97b42.jpg6df7df7629b8aa160da7d99881863601.jpg33bf0beee7d2c999dc0a4fe038cb0285.jpg120c898ea8a9d492769bf864e0ddb71c.jpg4b0427aacbff1b60bcfbedac630fc771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

WOW, TF, I am glad REAL ducks aren't that big...You'd get a hernia carrying the DECOYS ...

Of course, you'd only have to shoot one duck and you'd have enough meat for the whole year...

But, imagine when they fly over and let one go. It might sink the boat or kill you if in the wrong place. Just sayin'. 

• Like 2

Went out at 6 am this morning in my buddies Nitro bass boat onto Lake Erie. Weird wind again and quite choppy even inside the breakwall. Jigged some crayfish and 3" Gulp minnows. Buddy caught 3 smallies , I caught one small one and daughter blanked. Tried to get out to fish the structures out at beginning of the river but boat kept coming out of the water. So we checked out the worlds largest rubber duck. Holy smokes , people on land snapping pics , kayaks everywhere and this thing is huge. Looking forward to fall and fishing the mouth of the Cattaragus for steelies imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160828%2F8afe6514f824d5d78920c9cfb4a413ce.jpg&key=14bfe95791d834e5b7ebc63df5d8e4369afcb74215212cee2bd5833f26b365dfimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160828%2F152224b3e62145efce26d7c11ff97b42.jpg&key=ddc9466b987d5fabb3fdb37f3366522dbd7c10947a293ba9c1ca0caa3378d525imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160828%2F6df7df7629b8aa160da7d99881863601.jpg&key=d44be2f3c6ccb34fe7accbd85d5a90bec09316ea35a9e97a787f393358fe4ba2imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160828%2F33bf0beee7d2c999dc0a4fe038cb0285.jpg&key=694b73aad8b227f853858906fd8563b1b67a61d02bea17870bda37507163a89bimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160828%2F120c898ea8a9d492769bf864e0ddb71c.jpg&key=572a205e970e420de65bbabab283bc12aeebe25a41650885a61809dd6e9536fdimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160828%2F4b0427aacbff1b60bcfbedac630fc771.jpg&key=426e78e8c1a4d8213838866843cbde1ee48bddb79b5eb92b3d067cb912caeb9e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You hit the Catt from the breakaway or troll from a boat....that place can turn into a zoo if you troll the mouth of the Catt in a boat....we once had people from shore bombing us with little Cleo's and ko wobblers left and right. The real show starts when a fresh lake run steelies is hooked....let the acrobatics begin!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Used to zing blue and silver 1/3 ounce Cleos and Crocodiles from the wall , lakeside. Caught piles of fish . It's been years but used to fish it hard. This year will be first year from a boat. Buddy said slow float and cast , no trolling . Love when fish clear 3-4' out of the water. Daughter needs to experience this. Lake temps are 79 or so it'll be awhile before fish even stage at mouth. Lol , caught 5 mudpuppy inside the wall drowning worms one day. Impossible to remove the hook. Like trying to pull it out of the tongue of your leather shoes. FYI. Don't ever net them. They wrap up in it reel well. 

It was a nice morning to get out, glad you and your daughter had fun.

I went to Silver Lake today with a buddy (friend of Lee's) and although we got a very late start, we had fun too.  Only got a pile of small perch, a couple rockies and a couple largemouth.  No keepers as they would have been poached in my live well by the time we pulled the plug.  

79 degrees on Silver Lake too.........lots of jet skis, pontoon boats and regular old power boats to get the boat rocking like my old p/u truck Friday nights at the drive-in years ago. :yes: 

• Like 2

Larry , how was the waves on Silver lake ? Daughter got invite to go out with friends and family as soon as we got home. After experiencing rollers on Erie and don't know the captain of boat I said no.  Better safe than sorry I guess. My " no" wasn't so well excepted : ( 

How were you fishing ? Drop shot ? 

Talk about timing , just got off the phone with our youngest in Buffalo. She's a big rubber duck fan , as odd as that sounds. She just flew back from NYC where she went for,some concert and was very upset she missed the big rubber duck !

image.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Larry , how was the waves on Silver lake ? Daughter got invite to go out with friends and family as soon as we got home. After experiencing rollers on Erie and don't know the captain of boat I said no.  Better safe than sorry I guess. My " no" wasn't so well excepted : ( 

How were you fishing ? Drop shot ? 

It wasn't too bad until a bit later, they started to roll out around 11:30am I'd guess.  For some reason the jet ski people just annoy the crap out of me.  They look like the most useless machine ever built............And why the hell do they have to go blasting by so close?  Sorry for the rant.

The pontoon boats throw quite a wake, especially when they're three abreast!

We fished just off the weeds, casting in towards them with some cool little rubber minnow thing.  IT almost looked like an old Mister Twister tailed thing but caught fish like no tomorrow.  I'll PM you the name...............:taunt:

I had a couple dozen night crawlers but couldn't catch a fish with them, even tipped on a few different jigs I had. It was kind of odd........

18 minutes ago, grampy said:

Great pic's! I gotta get out west to fish with some of you guy's! 

Lakers out of Niagara River in Artpark during winter are a blast. Fish mile or so downstream from Niagra falls. Get sick of catching them. Occasional steelie will have you running down the river banks trying not to get spooled. Power baits and hefty sinkers.   Big 8 plus pounders all day long. Guys float it in boats but that water scares me.  I'll fish from shore thank you.  Great BBQ nearby , Brickyard BBQ.  Just so happens they have a great beer list too. 

Many boaters are clueless today . My folks built a cottage on Port Bay in 1,959 , I grew up there every weekend and two weeks each summer .

if you saw a guy fishing you gave him room or if you could not you throttled back , same for skiers , you gave them room .

iv been going out in boats since '59 ( ok I was one then) but you get the idea . Today's boaters I call grinning idiots , they swamp you, come to,close to,your kid in the water as you prepair to,pull,them skiing and smile and wave as they pass.

They have no,idea what the " stand down boat means " let alone who has the right away.

A few years back we almost got hit by a giant boat on Lake Ontario , they came from behind off to my left , only two,boats out there , my daughter started to yell, I looked and turned the wheel just in time really .

i started to draw my .40 cal,Glock but commen sense and my wife stopped me . 

I did make note of the boats name and spent two summers searching marinas for,it.

im a patient man with lots of free time and a cord less drill ......

• Like 7

I had Dinsdale out with me on the upper Niagara River a couple years ago and we had a close call.  It was probably a 19' cuddy and there were three guys on board, IIRC.  The boat was going just fast enough to NOT come up on plane.  There was a guy sleeping up on the bow and the boat was going just fast enough to NOT come up on plane.  No way could the driver see us as he closed on our location. 

I said to Dan: "hey, that boat is heading our way".  He looks and says holy ship!!  We start to holler and wave our arms then stand up to get there attention.  The guy on the bow woke up and yelled to the captain.  

I'll tell you what, it scared the b-Jesus out of me and Dan 'cause it was pretty darn close to being a wreck.........

• Like 1

About 10 years ago, up on Long lake, an old codger and his wife nearly cut my canoe in half with a rowboat powered by a 15 hp outboard.  I was drifting for smallmouths, using a 5-gallon bucket as a sea anchor to hold sideways, near the center of the lake.  That prevented any quick, evasive action on my part, as I noticed them heading right towards me.  The woman was in the bow with her back to me.  She had a towel or something, held up on an oar, completely blocking her husband's view of what was out front (me).  I timed my yell for when I thought it would do the most good, and they swung hard port, just missing me, as they steamed by at full throttle.  Visions of JFK on PT 109 flashed thru my mind.