Does anyone frequently use, or have frequent experience with screw-in steps to get up trees and set stands?  I'm curious to know if you have a best method to determine how many steps you'll need, how far to space them, and how to position them on a tree so that they make for easy step-downs onto a tree stand.  I had one hell of a time on Saturday setting up a stand, and it took way longer than I had wanted to be at the location.

I used a small piece of PVC to help with turning the step, and pre-drilled for ease of turning...

The number of steps you'll need will be determined by how high you'll set the stand and also on your comfort level of climbing from one step to another.  I set my stand just about perpendicular to the steps for ease of getting in and out of the stand.  I also set one step a little higher than the platform of the stand and another even higher on the opposite side to hold onto, so I can get above the stand and then step down onto the platform.  Everyone has a preferred method and this is the one that has worked best for me.  Remember that as the weather gets colder you'll be wearing heavier clothing and climbing won't be as easy as in the early season, so your steps should be placed at a comfortable distance for climbing with bulkier clothing.

Edited by letinmfly
  • Like 2

I haven't used the screw-in steps since I went the tree stand ladder route years ago, but if you have to use them, space them so that you can climb up and down comfortably. I would think twice about screwing in steps into Oak, Cherry, maple trees due to their timber value. Unless you own the property, I would ask the property owner about your thoughts on screw-in steps. He/she may frown apon the idea.

• Like 1

I used to use them quite a bit and this is what worked for me. One on left and right same hight spaced about 20 inches apart. I would always step and bring the other foot up to level with the other. And always had  4 levels of contact to the tree. And would go higher than the stand to step down slightly when entering and a slight step up when going down. Seemed like less effort climbing and desending plus felt safer and more secure, even though it takes more steps. And ALWAYS stay safe and strap in!

• Like 2

I haven't used them in many years, but I would recommend that whatever spacing 'looks appropriate' this time of year be reduced by half unless you climb stuff for a living. There's a very good reason why construction ladders and ladder-stands have rungs spaced at 12". :rolleyes:

I'll second Merlot's advice about not ruining valuable timber trees, and please make the effort to remove the steps when you're done. They are NOT fun to hit with a chainsaw or a milling saw.

Edited by philoshop
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

I used to use them quite a bit and this is what worked for me. One on left and right same hight spaced about 20 inches apart. I would always step and bring the other foot up to level with the other. And always had  4 levels of contact to the tree. And would go higher than the stand to step down slightly when entering and a slight step up when going down. Seemed like less effort climbing and desending plus felt safer and more secure, even though it takes more steps. And ALWAYS stay safe and strap in!

18 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I haven't used them in many years, but I would recommend that whatever spacing 'looks appropriate' this time of year be reduced by half unless you climb stuff for a living. There's a very good reason why construction ladders and ladder-stands have rungs spaced at 12". :rolleyes:

I'll second Merlot's advice about not ruining valuable timber trees, and please make the effort to remove the steps when you're done. They are NOT fun to hit with a chainsaw or a milling saw.

39 minutes ago, letinmfly said:

The number of steps you'll need will be determined by how high you'll set the stand and also on your comfort level of climbing from one step to another.  I set my stand just about perpendicular to the steps for ease of getting in and out of the stand.  I also set one step a little higher than the platform of the stand and another even higher on the opposite side to hold onto, so I can get above the stand and then step down onto the platform.  Everyone has a preferred method and this is the one that has worked best for me.  Remember that as the weather gets colder you'll be wearing heavier clothing and climbing won't be as easy as in the early season, so your steps should be placed at a comfortable distance for climbing with bulkier clothing.

Thanks very much, guys.  I think the spacing math helps me determine how many steps I'll need for a specific stand height, and I very much appreciate the reminder on bulkier clothing.  I think I might try out 16" spacing with Grampy's idea of doubling up the steps (especially those last few which will be crucial in setting the stand), so my boots don't get caught on the next rung while raising my leg.

Also - many thanks for the reminder on timber quality.  I am fortunate to have a quite few good'uns that are mill-able in a tight time.

Does anyone have a diameter of tree that they prefer or will avoid?

I unfortunately have used screw in steps quite a bit.  I use the height of my knee as a reference as for how high to place the next step.  I also find that if I only have a set number of steps, it is always best to make sure that I have enough for around the stand so that I have hand holds on both sides of the tree and can step down from the preferred side.  Most of the time I end up with the stand at a lower height than I anticipated.  I also try to twist the placement of the steps (kind of like corkscrewing towards the stand height) when I get closer to where I want the stand.  Not sure if you used a lineman's belt or not, but that definitely helps.  

The best advice that I could give, though, is to invest in a set of climbing sticks and get away from the steps.  I bought a lone wolf stand an climbing sticks and though pricey, it was the best investment that I have made as far as tree stands go.  It is unreal how much easier and quicker I can put a stand up.  It also increases your ability to tweak your stand location, so if you find after a couple of sits that you would have been better off in a different spot it's no big deal to move it.

• Like 1

I stopped using them and went to the portable ones strapped to the tree.  more to carry at first but they don't damage tree and screw in steps left there year after year will get grown into the tree where you can't loosen them to unscrew them out. 

I have used the screw in and strap on steps. Never cared for either. Used them doe to lack of being able to buy sticks.

Also remember, you can't use screw in steps on state land. Pretty sure the APB doesn't allow them either. 

I would get climbing sticks.

If ( that's a HUGE IF ! ), I ever buy a tree stand again, it will be a two person ladder stand.

I love them and I don't ever see myself giving them up. There is not a faster easier method than using steps. I spread mine out way farther than most and I'm tall so it works great as a defense mechanism. If I'm standing on top step I will put the next one just above my belly button. I will sometimes use and extra step on the top to make it easier to get on the platform.

If I am carrying my stand and steps to hunt a spot I carry 5 steps and can get a little over 15ft up if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well...  I raided an account and sprung for a climber.  I think I might end up using the steps to hang gear.

Thanks very much for all the help and input.  Perhaps I'll use steps in the future, but I realized that I really like the mobility option inherent in a climber, and the security of ladder sticks for my more permanent, hang-on stands.

• Like 2

My advice like others above is to get away from screw in steps.  I used to use these all the time until I starting to use climbing sticks.  They are much easier, quicker, and safer and do not damage trees unlike screw-ins.  Also, what will stick in my mind forever is my friend slipping on screw-ins and being gutted with a 16 inch gash across his belly.  He needed to be air-lifted to a hospital and lost 14 inches of his small bowel--he was damn lucky he was hunting with others or he could have lost his life

My favorite have become the Hawks sold by Dicks.  They are very high quality and pretty much equivalent to Lone Wolf for a fraction of the price

17 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Well...  I raided an account and sprung for a climber.  I think I might end up using the steps to hang gear.

Thanks very much for all the help and input.  Perhaps I'll use steps in the future, but I realized that I really like the mobility option inherent in a climber, and the security of ladder sticks for my more permanent, hang-on stands.

Congrats.  What climber did  you buy ?   

I l9ve my climber for bow season...I don't know how anyone kills a deer without one during bow on public land....interested to hear choice as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I haven't read all the responses, but I always set mine using my knee as reference, don't skimp and try to get space between them.....and always run them up past the stand, you want to step down onto it. I personally feel safer going up a tree with a climber so very rarely if ever use them anymore.......climber or climbing sticks for me these days..

I truly meant RAIDED that account (ha...) and went all in for the Lone Wolf Hand Climber - a friend of a friend in the North Country loves his (hugs the tree and only uses the bottom half on occasion, which is not my plan...) and I'm partial to products made in the U.S.

Cabela's currently has an offer that includes a free muddy magnum harness, and they were $10 less than Lone Wolf's website price, with a $5 off shipping promo code... Still a huge dent, but I'm excited to go for a few test runs next week (hopefully).

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

My advice like others above is to get away from screw in steps.  I used to use these all the time until I starting to use climbing sticks.  They are much easier, quicker, and safer and do not damage trees unlike screw-ins.  Also, what will stick in my mind forever is my friend slipping on screw-ins and being gutted with a 16 inch gash across his belly.  He needed to be air-lifted to a hospital and lost 14 inches of his small bowel--he was damn lucky he was hunting with others or he could have lost his life

My favorite have become the Hawks sold by Dicks.  They are very high quality and pretty much equivalent to Lone Wolf for a fraction of the price

I haven't seen Hawks as an option. Yargh...

not too sure I'd advocate the "tree hugging " method.....if the bottom decides to kick out on you, you may be taking a ride down the tree and leaving half your face on the tree on the way down. There's been more then one occasion where I almost lost the bottom section when it slipped off my feet, if I didn't have the bottom tied off to the top climber portion, I may have had a problem.

not too sure I'd advocate the "tree hugging " method.....if the bottom decides to kick out on you, you may be taking a ride down the tree and leaving half your face on the tree on the way down. There's been more then one occasion where I almost lost the bottom section when it slipped off my feet, if I didn't have the bottom tied off to the top climber portion, I may have had a problem.

I'm of the same thought...

I remember as a kid my dad had wooden blocks with holes drilled thru them with rope to tie around the trunk, looking back that wasn't the safest. We then graduated to screw in steps. I would mark my foot for each step and they worked great and never had an issue with them but they are a workout getting them in and out of the tree. Once the steps were in, pull up the stand to set, that wasn't always an easy process. Then we moved to ladder stands because the price point is pretty good. A lot more simple and easy to set. I wonder what will be next a hover board to take u up?

• Like 1

I remember as a kid my dad had wooden blocks with holes drilled thru them with rope to tie around the trunk, looking back that wasn't the safest. We then graduated to screw in steps. I would mark my foot for each step and they worked great and never had an issue with them but they are a workout getting them in and out of the tree. Once the steps were in, pull up the stand to set, that wasn't always an easy process. Then we moved to ladder stands because the price point is pretty good. A lot more simple and easy to set. I wonder what will be next a hover board to take u up?

Pretty sure by the late season I'll be hunting out of a tree fort...

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is the screw-in steps thread, but I figured I'd follow up on the climber bit:

I tested out the Lone Wolf Hand Climber this weekend, and I wish I had made the time to do so earlier.  I love how it packs down, and how light it is.  I'm going to need more practice before I truly trust myself out in the woods, but all-in-all, it's easy to use, pretty darn quiet, light enough to hike miles with, and a pretty simple set-up and design.  It's light enough to stalk while checking out sign, and then setting up once I find good sign.  I am super-excited to take it out once I'm more confident on how best to space the two parts while climbing, and then getting the stabilizer straps set.  Maybe I'll mark the straps with tape once I find the best height.

I did add a bunch of electrical tape to the bow holder, because I imagine that the bow limbs on metal is a bad combination for both the life of the limbs and for noise.  I also wish I had sprung the extra bit for the larger foot space; no room for error here.  I think it was only 4 lbs heavier and $20 more.