How old?

adkhunter71

16 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

Thanks grow....not sure if this other angle helps at all.....I am not the greatest at judging age and think that it is at least 3.  Just curious what everyone else thinks....I won't hold anyone to there answers, lol.

IMG-44.jpg

I'm not either but, I say 3.5 because of the chest and shoulders.

I hate these threads.............

There are so few 4.5 year old bucks killed each year that who knows WTH one looks like on the hoof?

For all the bucks I've killed AND the bucks killed in the camp I hunt out of, RARE is the buck that has been aged at 4.5 or older.  These are of course deer that have been aged by DEC biologists and field technicians.  How rare you might ask??  I've killed plenty of 3.5 year old, ZERO 4.5 year old and exactly one 5.5 year old buck.

I'll stick my neck out and say 3.5 years old.  Well, right now he isn't 3.5.  That's what he'll be when he is killed in November. :yes:

• Like 2

I hate these threads.............

There are so few 4.5 year old bucks killed each year that who knows WTH one looks like on the hoof?

For all the bucks I've killed AND the bucks killed in the camp I hunt out of, RARE is the buck that has been aged at 4.5 or older.  These are of course deer that have been aged by DEC biologists and field technicians.  How rare you might ask??  I've killed plenty of 3.5 year old, ZERO 4.5 year old and exactly one 5.5 year old buck.

I'll stick my neck out and say 3.5 years old.  Well, right now he isn't 3.5.  That's what he'll be when he is killed in November. default_yes.gif

Jeez man, stop killing our 3.5 year old bucks, let them mature!!
  • Like 1

I really have never had any interest in a deer's age. I generally go by, "Is he big enough or not?" Once he is in packages, I could care less about how old he is ....... lol. One thing that I will say with certainty is that that deer is old enough for me to shoot.

• Like 2

As NFA said its all in good fun. Well that's what it's suppose to be anyways.Too many times lots of these threads turn ugly because that gets lost. What appears is the notion hunters should be out there hunting the biggest animal alive as if their lives and reputations hinged on it. You guys know what's really funny?

In this day and age when they lie and shove down the throats of our kids. " Everyone's a winner"  in sports. For those that refer to hunting as a sport, it actually IS the only one where everyone is a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

As NFA said its all in good fun. Well that's what it's suppose to be anyways.Too many times lots of these threads turn ugly because that gets lost. What appears is the notion hunters should be out there hunting the biggest animal alive as if their lives and reputations hinged on it.

I agree...I put this up there because I am not the best at judging a deer's age.

I am by no means a trophy hunter and have never shot a deer this big because I have never had the opportunity to.  And before anyone can say that it's because I shoot young bucks before they have the opportunity to get old, I haven't shot a buck since 2013 with my bow.  And that has been my choice- not because I haven't had the opportunity.  I am all for people shooting whatever deer gets them excited, whether it is a buck or doe, yearling or a booner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

I agree...I put this up there because I am not the best at judging a deer's age.

After 2.5 it's a HUGE crap shoot unless, as posted by WNY bowhunter you have a history.  The only real issue with that is that a buck can change drastically from year to year and keeping very accurate photo files isn't something most are going to do. 

Speculation is for gold miners......:notme:

:yes:

• Like 3