Say what you will about NYS...

growalot

2 hours ago, growalot said:

I wonder how old you are ,because I can't imagine an older (length of time hunting) saying that...That is if I am catching  your meaning in that...I would stop hunting if I knew every year I went out, I would shoot one of those big bucks I get pics of in the spring and summer...Well usually get pictures of that it...

Explain to me what the fun in that would be? Now if I needed meat ,I could always go out for and hour or so and pop the first doe I see..but that's not hunting to me I could do that out the computer window...Which is why I don't always go to the stands I am absolutely sure they will be at a given time during the day...and sometimes I say to heck with the wind and coin toss where to go...If I wanted ducks in a barrel ...I'd spend less money and a whole lot less time and go to the arcade or state fair.

What's the reason you don't get that big buck every year you have pics of? Maybe it's a rarity. Even if you did isn't there always the possibility of something you've never seen walking by? Also what is the definition of a big? Isn't part of it the hope for something bigger next time?

Not buying the reasoning one would quit was because of being bored with shooting big bucks.......it doesn't get old

• Like 1

Yeah......ok

I wonder how old you are ,because I can't imagine an older (length of time hunting) saying that...That is if I am catching  your meaning in that...I would stop hunting if I knew every year I went out, I would shoot one of those big bucks I get pics of in the spring and summer...Well usually get pictures of that it...

Explain to me what the fun in that would be? Now if I needed meat ,I could always go out for and hour or so and pop the first doe I see..but that's not hunting to me I could do that out the computer window...Which is why I don't always go to the stands I am absolutely sure they will be at a given time during the day...and sometimes I say to heck with the wind and coin toss where to go...If I wanted ducks in a barrel ...I'd spend less money and a whole lot less time and go to the arcade or state fair.

I can tell you I wouldn't quit hunting if I shot a nice buck every year, why would you? It's not entirely about killing deer, it's about sunrises, beautiful days, time with friends, changing leaves, the unknown etc... and how does it concern you if someone else has a different outlook on hunting? I set my goal on killing a nice buck every fall, if I could do it every year I'd be ecstatic...
  • Like 4

When considering all the aspects of hunting and goals..IMO...doing something where you know the out come as far as harvest is a given...I could get all the same enjoyable experiences sitting with a camera.I do not need big racks to enjoy the out doors.A big part of having a rewarding experience in any endeavor is the knowledge sometimes you can fail. To the how does it concern me..it doesn't..That said I wasn't the one to act like the post was some how not genuine by saying "yea OK"

12 hours ago, chrisw said:

If you're only hunting this particular piece for one weekend a year then you don't truly know what age classes of deer it holds. It is hard for some people to let young deer go in hopes of seeing an older one, this is why I said if you don't like the idea of eating buck tags at seasons end this type of hunting may not be for you. Shoot what makes you happy and don't make excuses for what you fill your tag on. Everyone's experience is different and you get out what you put in. I'm not bashing your style of hunting or criticizing you in anyway, I just have strong feelings about this topic.

Tell me how I'm unware?  Do you check my cameras for me? Do you scout with me? Do you walk the horse trails with me?  Do you put in the hours I do scouting? 

Tell me how I'm unware?  Do you check my cameras for me? Do you scout with me? Do you walk the horse trails with me?  Do you put in the hours I do scouting? 

So you do all of these things for one weekend of hunting per year? If you're doing all of those things and not seeing any older deer then you need a new spot to hunt.

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

So you do all of these things for one weekend of hunting per year? If you're doing all of those things and not seeing any older deer then you need a new spot to hunt.

As a business owner my time to run off and play is limited.....deer is meat to me and horns bonus.....my business comes before anything except my family and the two limit my time especially and 1 1/2 one way drive to where i hunt....summer is easier due to fall/winter being the time when we are sandblasting and painting fleet vehicles before companies start there spring/summer work load.....I scout to make my one weekend enjoyable.....I will never leave that land due to the fact that family members that have died started me in them woods and there is now a feeling of memories when i enter them woods......never assume about someone until the truth is known.....learned that long ago in business 

32 minutes ago, growalot said:

When considering all the aspects of hunting and goals..IMO...doing something where you know the out come as far as harvest is a given...I could get all the same enjoyable experiences sitting with a camera.I do not need big racks to enjoy the out doors.A big part of having a rewarding experience in any endeavor is the knowledge sometimes you can fail. To the how does it concern me..it doesn't..That said I wasn't the one to act like the post was some how not genuine by saying "yea OK"

I guess you're missing the point. How many people do you know that quit hunting for the specific reason of being bored with shooting big bucks?

• Like 1

As a business owner my time to run off and play is limited.....deer is meat to me and horns bonus.....my business comes before anything except my family and the two limit my time especially and 1 1/2 one way drive to where i hunt....summer is easier due to fall/winter being the time when we are sandblasting and painting fleet vehicles before companies start there spring/summer work load.....I scout to make my one weekend enjoyable.....I will never leave that land due to the fact that family members that have died started me in them woods and there is now a feeling of memories when i enter them woods......never assume about someone until the truth is known.....learned that long ago in business 

I'm not assuming anything about you, I don't blame you for enjoying the woods in which you have so many memories. If those woods make you happy then by all means keep going there. In the previous post I was trying to say sitting in a treestand for one weekend a year will not show you what quality of deer are encompassed in that area as a whole. If you run cameras then that's a little different. Either way, hunt where you like and shoot what makes you happy.

4 hours ago, growalot said:

So why do you hunt at all then??  If it does not trip your trigger knowing you will kill a big buck every year then why does any deer trip it? 

It's a game, one that combines skill and chance matched against the games natural instinct to survive. All the things done leading up to the hunt and moment by moment decisions made in whether to shoot or not. I  actually get a bigger thrill at a great shot placement than size of kill.

Edited by growalot

4 minutes ago, growalot said:

SKIOP,I know a number of people that had hunted for years,got the "buck of their life time " then quit. They saw no reason to continue.

Grow, are you trolling or are you serious? Not trying to bust, um, give you a hard time, but....

Hunting is either in you or it isn't. I have hunted, stopped, then hunted, and stopped, then hunted. I never "quit" hunting. It was on my mind everyday! If I shot a 54 point buck at 2 yards ( hypothetical ), I would still hunt. I will hunt until I am not psychically capable. 

18 minutes ago, growalot said:

SKIOP,I know a number of people that had hunted for years,got the "buck of their life time " then quit. They saw no reason to continue.

Did they quit because "the buck of their life time" experience was boring?

How does one know they can't do better?

Edited by skiop

No...one neighbor hunted for years  with one goal to get a "wall hanger"...it actually was all that big,but a wall hanger to them...they haven't hunted since.Our daughters first time out shot an 8 pt...and has only gone out a relative few times since...she wanted an 8pt and got one . Have a friend that hunted and wouldn't shoot anything for fear their friends would mock the size...one year shot a 10 and never went out again....If the guys here are honest...I'd bet they could tell you of the same type of situations.

hell, I go out very year and have fun and enjoy it knowing full well I'm more then likely just going to be killing a doe or smaller buck...so I can't see the fun going out of it for guys who consistently kill big bucks. Basically I've been killing the same caliber deer for 30+ years and the fun and excitement has never left, it's only lately that I've started passing up some smaller bucks and does, and that's only because we eat less venison these days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, growalot said:

It's a game, one that combines skill and chance matched against the games natural instinct to survive. All the things done leading up to the hunt and moment by moment decisions made in whether to shoot or not. I  actually get a bigger thrill at a great shot placement than size of kill.

If you throw in the skill and chance thought then the bigger buck is the best opponent to match wit's against.  You want to really feel like a hunter and really Hunt...Go find and lay your eyes on the biggest mature buck and go kill that buck. Nothing less than what you put eyes on will do. That will make you hunt..and humble at the same time. 

To take a mature buck every year should be what most hunters aim for when they go hunting so im not sure how that would stop anyone from hunting.

I don't think that I could ever get bored shooting a big buck every season!!!

Granted,I am fortunate to live/hunt in one of the better areas in the state for both quality and quantity of deer...but this is still a LONG way from Iowa and opportunities at mature bucks are still rare. When all the pieces finally come together and you get to fill that prized tag out, it is quite a sense of accomplishment. Why would you stop wanting that feeling? It makes me more motivated to repeat that act again next season!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ....rob said:

Grow, are you trolling or are you serious? Not trying to bust, um, give you a hard time, but....

Hunting is either in you or it isn't. I have hunted, stopped, then hunted, and stopped, then hunted. I never "quit" hunting. It was on my mind everyday! If I shot a 54 point buck at 2 yards ( hypothetical ), I would still hunt. I will hunt until I am not psychically capable. 

My hunting year goes like this:

Starts of in January scouting for shed season...Late January - Early April is primetime shed season...April mornings are spent scouting for turkeys...May will always mean turkey season to me...June begins trail cam season and evenings spent glassing/scouting the local bucks...followed by bow season, gun season, muzzleloader season and wraps up will post season trail cam inventory and the agonizing wait for shed season to get here again. There is no down time...I thoroughly enjoy all of it!!!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, growalot said:

Here's a thought for you to ponder...What makes you think they should feel they should want to do better?

Here's a thought for you to ponder. That was never implied to whom you were describing. It was a general question.

Also you stated "no" in reference to it being boring. So in originally disputing my initial comment you are now agreeing

I personally have never known anyone to get a "wall hanger" then quit hunting or hunt until they got a "big" buck then stop. I would say that hunting wasn't as important to them as it is me or probably most on this site. I eat, sleep and breathe hunting, be it frogs, geese or deer, it's just who I am and no matter what successes or not that I have I would never stop hunting. I could shoot a 300" fair chase wild whitetail on public land this fall and I'd be dreaming of what next season might bring. So the people that just quit hunting after getting a nice buck were never really into the deepest roots of hunting anyhow in my opinion.

Actually the "no" was to ROBS "are you trolling". Chris, what your saying about your self is All fine and well. But don't discredit what others feel about hunting or their goals...Do I need to point out how hypocritical your replies to my post has been Since you said :

and how does it concern you if someone else has a different outlook on hunting?

Sorry didn't see "bold " was still on...This whole waste of time was over the fact I took umbrage To Skiop's " ya Ok" ...Which sounded like "your full of shite" ,responding to how another hunter feels. For what ever reason you seem offended by my observations. Even more so to the audacity other hunters would have goals, fill them and stop. It's great guys want to get a big buck every single year and even work towards it. I do not and many people I know do not.

BTW No...... the challenge and out witting game  DOES NOT mean hunting only BIG buck...I have ALWAYS remember I said this because I've said it several times over the years...ALWAYS, had a bigger challenge in hunting an old wise doe.. For all season she is on high alert. She is not led around the woods for 2-4  months by an appendage between her legs...she's of sound mind.

Edited by growalot

Starts of in January scouting for shed season...Late January - Early April is primetime shed season...April mornings are spent scouting for turkeys...May will always mean turkey season to me...June begins trail cam season and evenings spent glassing/scouting the local bucks...followed by bow season, gun season, muzzleloader season and wraps up will post season trail cam inventory and the agonizing wait for shed season to get here again. There is no down time...I thoroughly enjoy all of it!!!!!

As you know I do the same...and I think about hunting 24/7...just ask Mr. B...but If I thought it was a given and I was going to go out and get a big buck EVERY YEAR...I would stop carrying a gun ...Now remember that's what started this whole thing...the thought that every year it was a given...not a hope or a wish but is what it is...

Think about what your quote says...What would possibly be the point in doing all the things you love...when your just going to get that big one any ways...think about it for a moment.

Edited by growalot

2 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Welcome to Four Season Whitetails..lol.........Thats where the farm name came from!  Its an addiction!