Say what you will about NYS...

growalot

25 minutes ago, growalot said:

As you know I do the same...and I think about hunting 24/7...just ask Mr. B...but If I thought it was a given and I was going to go out and get a big buck EVERY YEAR...I would stop carrying a gun ...Now remember that's what started this whole thing...the thought that every year it was a given...not a hope or a wish but is what it is...

Think about what your quote says...What would possibly be the point in doing all the things you love...when your just going to get that big one any ways...think about it for a moment.

I still dont get that way of thinking.  I KNOW i am going to kill a deer every year without a doubt so what is the difference of knowing i am going to kill any deer then knowing i am going to kill the hardest to kill deer in the woods?

Either way i know i am going to kill a deer...

• Like 1

Actually the "no" was to ROBS "are you trolling". Chris, what your saying about your self is All fine and well. But don't discredit what others feel about hunting or their goals...Do I need to point out how hypocritical your replies to my post has been Since you said :

and how does it concern you if someone else has a different outlook on hunting?

Sorry didn't see "bold " was still on...This whole waste of time was over the fact I took umbrage To Skiop's " ya Ok" ...Which sounded like "your full of shite" ,responding to how another hunter feels. For what ever reason you seem offended by my observations. Even more so to the audacity other hunters would have goals, fill them and stop. It's great guys want to get a big buck every single year and even work towards it. I do not and many people I know do not.

BTW No...... the challenge and out witting game  DOES NOT mean hunting only BIG buck...I have ALWAYS remember I said this because I've said it several times over the years...ALWAYS, had a bigger challenge in hunting an old wise doe.. For all season she is on high alert. She is not led around the woods for 2-4  months by an appendage between her legs...she's of sound mind.

You can have whatever outlook you want on hunting but when someone tells me that they don't want to have an opportunity on a quality buck every year after putting in so much time and effort I'm going to be inclined to not believe them. It's not that I'm saying that way of thinking is wrong, but highly doubtful. If you truly feel like it would take all of the fun away then that's your right. Noone is saying you're guaranteed a specific deer because that's not even realistic thinking so there's no need to ponder it, but an opportunity now is another thing. I've never met a person who doesn't want to kill/have an opportunity at a nice buck every year and goes to treestands where they know certain deer aren't... Sorry but that comes off as "holier than though" to me. How many big bucks have you let go because you killed one the year before and didn't want it to ruin your experience? I don't think your understanding why it's a hard logic for most people to swallow... Your entitled to your way of thinking but don't act surprised when people are skeptical that these are your true feelings...

Ha!  People have been Skeptical of the things I say since I started here...but many have been around long enough to know I don't mince words and I pretty much tell it as it is...BTW I have passed a few big bucks in my time,for various reasons...one was to kill a wounded(car) 7pt..I past a huge 8 with crazy mass hunting a friends camp on Marrowback. I have passed large 8's just so one of the guys could get a crack at them. Mr B hasn't gotten a deer in years(won't shoot doe or small deer) he had a big 8pt walk under his stand and it headed in his Dads direction...he gave it a pass...to find out his Dad had gone back to camp. He didn't regret the effort...there are many out there that pass big deer for various reasons. BTW.....I stated in the "one big 6pt" post that I started I passed one just like him opening morning of gun a few years back...and I did have a picture I had posted on here of his rack I recovered in our stream...before I deleted all my pics earlier this year...but I had mentioned him a few times over the years...I find it rather interesting how your have gotten so defensive over other hunters finding satisfaction in hunting other than dropping a big buck...

Now that said...... you really need to go back and read CAREFULLY what the OP that started this actually said...because you've diluted and steered away from it several times. Four seasons again, go back and read what the op ...that started this merry run down the farmers lane,as it were,actual said.

Edited by growalot

I still dont get that way of thinking.  I KNOW i am going to kill a deer every year without a doubt so what is the difference of knowing i am going to kill any deer then knowing i am going to kill the hardest to kill deer in the woods?

Either way i know i am going to kill a deer...

I'm with you. I have a ton of time off and have great spots to hunt and I know I have the skills to do do it year in and year out. I haven't went into a season wondering if I would kill a mature deer in many years.

Whether I'm going into a deer season or pulling the boat to the lake I know I will catch fish and I know I'll kill deer. Maybe I'm arrogant or cocky but history has showed it to be fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a lot of this shows how varied hunting ideals and opportunities range across the State.....none if it's a wrong way of thinking. I hunt the Catskills pretty much only public land and have since I was old enough to hunt, it's gotten to the point that I have the "I don't care if I get a deer this year" attitude when I hunt there, but it's beautiful country and I love being out there just for that. I used to wait for my doe tag like it was Christmas morning because I knew if I got one at least I would have the chance to get something, now I won't even shoot one during rifle season because the population is so low, I'll take one with the bow because it's hard enough as it is, and I'll go stretches without getting a deer upstate......I've taken some nice deer off of public land, but far and few between.....different story all together down on Long Island where I live, total different attitude because the population is so high.....so same person with a different attitude towards hunting just based on location alone.......so, you really can't judge a persons attitude without fully knowing everything about them, whether it's location, why they kill a particular deer, or how they've progressed as a hunter throughout the years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, growalot said:

Think about what your quote says...What would possibly be the point in doing all the things you love...when your just going to get that big one any ways...think about it for a moment.

Think about this...I've killed 21 deer with a bow in the past 10 seasons and only two had antlers!!! I feel that I have a legit chance of encountering at least one pope&young class buck every season but that doesn't mean that I get to kill one every year.

• Like 1

I'll say a lot about ny state!! When we buy land build a camp and plan on a nice hunting camp!! I always got dmp tags there . Last few years no tags . preference point! What a crock of ....... This year tryed again preference point wtf. The dmp system is just la freaking joke. Enjoy your $5 nys . Northern Steuben county!! See numbers of does ! Bow season a lot and gun alot! Freaking get it right nystate 

Edited by Fredbear2

I was talking to a guy last year saying how much time bowhunting took from me last fall and he said he experienced the same. Did it for a little while, got a nice sized buck, and stopped. Now in my opinion if he genuinely liked it, he should have just cut his time back so that he didn't feel so much he was killing family time instead of just stopping outright. 

• Like 1

For the rest of us they're trying to kill them all to eventually go to a preference point system due to deficit.... But that's easier to control and one could hang their hat on limiting negative deer-people interactions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, growalot said:

OK that surprises me a little...I live on the edge of Northern Steuben in 8N and We have family in Steuben... Have to drive through it to get to daughters in Chemung and camp in Allegheny.....Never a shortage of road deer or deer in the fields

I hunt both 8P And 8R in the northwestern corner of the county. Hardly any permits given out in 8P but they hand them out like candy in 8R. Last year my wife and i had 8 dmps for 8R (only used one).

Edited by WNY Bowhunter