How are the turnips coming along?

Idk why, but my neighbor planted his around the 25th of August. Hes a big time food plotter and always pushes for management .. I checked his last week and they barely sprouted an inch or so. And its dry so i think he may have a tough time with producing any greens this year. seems awful late to beplanting them for us in 8P, it was the only chance he had though...  

Dang dry summer. I drive from Hornell, NY to Palmyra NY everyday for work. And in my travels, it seems everything from Naples and south is much greener than North of Naples. I hunt a piece in Sodus NY and my family farm in Macedon. The southerntier got some more rain throughout August where must be the northern half of the finger lakes did not. Ours (Central Steuben) is real dry still too, but not as bad. Theres a fine line from Bristol across to southern Middlesex,North Naples that has the grass very dry and burnt looking..

Hopefully this past Saturdays rain and possibly this Wednesdays rain will help.  

6 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Dang dry summer. I drive from Hornell, NY to Palmyra NY everyday for work. And in my travels, it seems everything from Naples and south is much greener than North of Naples. I hunt a piece in Sodus NY and my family farm in Macedon. The southerntier got some more rain throughout August where must be the northern half of the finger lakes did not. Ours (Central Steuben) is real dry still too, but not as bad. Theres a fine line from Bristol across to southern Middlesex,North Naples that has the grass very dry and burnt looking..

Hopefully this past Saturdays rain and possibly this Wednesdays rain will help.  

We are in Richmond/Honeoye, just north of the line you are talking about. The pond at my girlfriend's in Bristol is still 18" low

• Like 1

On September 6, 2016 at 8:10 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Mine have come in great, but with this lack of rain the last 2 weeks. and being dry for the year still. they could use rain asap, some are starting to wilt almost. Heres 2 of my brassica plots, taken a week ago

20160831_164539.jpg

20160831_170555.jpg

Those are looking good! You did a great job of not seeding too heavy.

• Like 1

Those are looking good! You did a great job of not seeding too heavy.

Thanks, Ive spent a many years planting them. Have been through the trial and errors a time or twelve lol. I have one plot that did get seeded a tad heavy somehow but is still doing great, probably 12-16" tops

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7f42085b68cb900b6bd816525e38510d.jpg
Turnips were doing great, left cams out for about 3 weeks, went to pull cards today to find out one of three brassica plots got annihilated in the pass week or two. Along with the clovers that I mowed Labor Day. The whole plot looks destroyed they hit it so hard. On top of that the batteries in the cam I have over that plot were dead, hope it was due to the amount of activity ..

This is 2 years in a row they hammered this plot in September. And none of my others.

I believe i have the only good green summer food source here, being the clovers. The neighbors have brassicas growing as well, but i have the only near by clover. Besides dry rough looking corn in a couple farm fields, and some hay fields

good part was the batteries werent dead, the cam just didnt want to show me the LCD screen for some reason, 1500 pics in 2.5 weeks over this plot.. heres a few, no shooters, but we got action in more ways than one lol

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

• Like 4

On September 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM, LET EM GROW said:

7f42085b68cb900b6bd816525e38510d.jpg
Turnips were doing great, left cams out for about 3 weeks, went to pull cards today to find out one of three brassica plots got annihilated in the pass week or two. Along with the clovers that I mowed Labor Day. The whole plot looks destroyed they hit it so hard. On top of that the batteries in the cam I have over that plot were dead, hope it was due to the amount of activity ..

This is 2 years in a row they hammered this plot in September. And none of my others.

Wow....they really pounded them!  Anyway to expand that plot?

• Like 1