Drone

Fishon

A friend of mine stopped by and showed me his new toy. It was a DJI Phantom drone. The thing was fast. He said with the extender he had it would go 4.5 miles. The camera was awesome. He flew it out back by my pond and saw some turkeys. They didnt spook but he had it up pretty high. Saw lake Ontario (few miles from my house).  It had a follow me mode. It was amazing what the thing to do. Oh boy, now i want one.Lol

Scouting just got real easy for some, lol.  Arg sounds like a cool toy that could get out of hand real quick.  Would be a really cool tool to patrol your property from the comfort of your home!  Hear a shot on your land, send out the drone and take video day or night and record it for the police, you could get the plate numbers and video of the crime.

If I buy 30 of them can I program them to patrol my property, lol.  J/K  Reminds me of the Terminator.  Sara Connor?

I have the Phantom Standard model.  There is a remote control that controls the drone, and you use your cell phone to create a wifi connection with the drone, so you can see from the camera where the drone is flying.  There are also flight stats on the phone showing distance, height, and other data.  You can take pictures and videos from there.

I have only flown mine a few times and I am careful to fly in open areas and within my sight.  I'm still a newbie for sure.  

I took some pictures this weekend of my camp, I'll post when I return home later this week.

I'm sure newer models have a lot more options and the basic ones are dropping in price.

• Like 1

My buddy has been doing the drone flying for a while. It's not as easy as you think especially when they are out of sight. You now have to register with the FFA and take classes to get a license. They are pricey and when you crash them…... you get the picture!

Anybody writing up any kinds of privacy laws regarding these things?  Sure would spoil the mood to all of a sudden have one hovering outside my bedroom window. That sort of thing probably is not restricted by any laws yet. I sure can see abuses occurring as the price starts coming down and every neighborhood kid begins to have one ..... lol.

8 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

They have to be registered with the FAA now I believe...cool as hell tho

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How slick would it be to use one to check your canine traps ? Send  it up, hover over set , no scent left behind. And 3,2,1 you're probably online shopping for one already 

• Like 1

How slick would it be to use one to check your canine traps ? Send  it up, hover over set , no scent left behind. And 3,2,1 you're probably online shopping for one already 

I actually had 1 and sold it I'm not much of a remote controlled guy they are hard to control. But guys who are good with them can make them do some crazy stuff....there are guys who race them indoors at high speeds the YouTube video are crazy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My buddy has a photography business, and follows all sorts of race across the country(MX, car races, atvs etc..) and does shoots for tons of people as well as articles. He just bought one to follow racers around the track, but to also do surveillance of properties as well. He told me he would like to come up and do a fly over my property, free of charge, to get better with it, I of course had no problem with it, i just asked him if we can do it when the leaves begin to change and the food plots are nice and lush green. I think this would make for some beautiful pics. Also, going to do a few of the neighbors properties as well. Im really looking forward to it.. Hes been practicing alot with it and trying to stalk all sorts of critters with it as well. lol 

I have one I built that is capable of fully autonomous flight.

You need merely register them with the FAA if they are over .55 lbs (no classes needed for consumer non-commercial use). It's $5 or something and takes a few minutes. Many of us have not done this because the FAA refuses to take care of our data properly.

IMO they are very easy to fly and, if you start on a $50 drone like the Syma one from Amazon, you can learn in short order how to do it. Any of the expensive drones ($200-300+) are even easier to fly because they lock into position with GPS. With proper instruction anybody could be taught to fly one very quickly. If you truly want to do it, get something like that Syma X5C, practice on DEAD STILL days as far as wind is concerned, and when you upgrade to a phantom or similar it's even easier to do.

As for spying by the window, all the large drones are surprisingly loud. I can hear mine from hundreds of feet/away, so they are not fantastic for close-up spying.

Since this is a hunting forum NY has already said they are illegal for chasing game.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 7:10 PM, ....rob said:

Aren't there certain areas they are not supposed to be used in? I thought the FFA set up some strict rules regarding where and how they can be used.

Not that strict really. Register if above .55 lbs and otherwise just don't be stupid about it. You can't use them to "spy" on people anymore than using binoculars to look through a neighbor's window is legal. But, airspace is all public-owned so you can still fly basically wherever you want.