What Were You Doing 15 Years Ago Tomorrow ?

Water Rat

I took a few days off from work and was in the middle of remodeling my entire kitchen that morning. If I live to be a 100 , I'll never forget watching those poor people jumping to their deaths from the burning towers. God bless all the victims of 9/11 and their families.

thZDA1WU0P.jpg

• Like 1

I was getting ready to head down to North Collins, NY to do an estimate for a fire job.  IIRC my appointment was for 10am. The TV was on and I was watching the coverage of the first plane into the building when, like millions of others, I saw the second plane hit........................

I was out installing Real Estate signs and heard the news on the radio . Thought it was a prank at first as it seemed so unbelievable . Stopped in at a McDonalds and a woman was crying as she had a relative at one of the buildings .

We are in Jersey City right now and are heading or NYC in a short while as my wife signed us up for a tour of the Towers area  .

I was a salesman at a small car dealer back then. We kept getting info on the computers then drove to co workers house and brought t.v. back. Not long after we watched the first tower collapsed. The range of emotions were insane that day, then we had customers coming in, I was so mad I wanted to yell at each one that came in. We're under attack and a lot of people just died why the hell are u here.

I was in the shower and heard the wife screaming. I came down to see the second plane hit. Still can't believe what I actually was seeing and saw that day. I then went to work and nary a soul came in. Wife took our then golden retriever to get the first of his hips done for hip displaysia. Not a soul on the roads. Oddly our current golden's birthday is 9/11. Niece and her husband have an apartment 4 blocks away, scary.

A sad, sad day to remember.

God Bless America !!

saw it on TV first in the living room....could actually see the smoke from my house on L.I., one of the things that I remember was not seeing a plane in the sky for quite a while afterwards......seemed like a couple days. I remember all the funerals I attended after that as a lot of people were from L.I., some came months and months after the attack...some years.

Edited by jjb4900

I was in the first grade at the time. I remember being let out early from school, but not knowing why. My school was actually maybe 20 min from Manhattan and my father watched the second plane hit from the hospital. He came home really late that day because his hospital was expecting a large amount of wounded to come through, but that never happened. For the next couple weeks I had family coming from every night to watch the news reports and the footage. I also remember walking by the teachers lounge and seeing the footage on constant repeat for a month after the attack. Back then I couldn't fully grasp what had happened even though I understood everything. 

I was on my way into NYC with relatives from Italy and my wife to site see. We were on the way in when my secretary called me and told me about the first plane. Thought it was just a small plane that had an accident. We got as far as Jamaica LIRR station when she called me again and told me about the second plane. We saw the black smoke from down town and decided to get back on one of the last east bound trains back to LI. After ensuring everyone in my family was accounted for, my wife and I ran to the store to stock up on baby formula as my son was only 2 months old. As I watched the towers collapse my heart sank.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

I was in 5th grade, school had pretty much just started and we were still on our first week. The teachers didn't know what to do or say and they just tried to stay calm and let any kids with family in NYC use the phones to call their parents. We were only 10 years old but we were the major achievement class so they brought us in a tv and put on the news figuring we would be mature enough for it. Most of us didn't really grasp it until we saw it on the tv, even as a kid i took one look at the flames and damage and thought "those buildings are going down" Just before they collapsed.

I was trying to figure out how i was going to get down the Jersey Turnpike to Trenton, I knew I could get a good view of what was happening from the Turnpike but then I soon found out the Turnpike was closed so I instead made whatever local deliveries had to made for the commercial printing company I was working for and then had myself my usual extended lunch listening to the radio.

Being unable to watch my Mets being baseball was postponed did suck. 

Edited by Uptown Redneck

I was the Production Manager at Time magazine in NYC. We went into frenzy mode to get an issue out on the newsstands in 24 hrs. We accomplished that and revised the issue as news changed. It was weird being in the city and not around my family. One thing I will always remember as long as I live, It was the feeling of complete unity and strength among the people of NY. I'm sure it was that way across the country. It made me proud to be an American and thought to myself we can take on anything and get through it!

• Like 2

As a member of the NYPD, I got the call at 10:30 am that it was all hands on deck. Everyone has to report asap to their commands. The border of NYC was locked down and it was difficult to make it to Queens. My assignment that night was to guard a fire house in Queens because it was empty do to the responce to Manhattan, We were told at about 9 pm that many of these guys are not coming back. I spent many hours in the weeks and months after at ground zero, Its not a time I ever want to live thru again.

At that time i worked on Wall Street in NYC and was trapped in the building, we couldn't go anywhere as the dust was so thick that daylight turned to darkness and we could not venture outside as it was so dark out. People were pouring into our building from the streets covered fromhead to toe in dust and some with blood. I had to man up that day and be strong for all the ladies in the office as it was mass chaos. One of the scariest things i ever had to experience. The images of people in that office, screaming and chaos are still very fresh in mind. God bless all those families that lost loved ones. I had a co worker that lost his son and had a family friend that lost her husband,  very sad day.

9 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

I was trying to figure out how i was going to get down the Jersey Turnpike to Trenton, I knew I could get a good view of what was happening from the Turnpike but then I soon found out the Turnpike was closed so I instead made whatever local deliveries had to made for the commercial printing company I was working for and then had myself my usual extended lunch listening to the radio.

Being unable to watch my Mets being baseball was postponed did suck. 

Wow , missing a whole Mets game ,how will your life ever be whole again.

• Like 3