Savage 220 20 Gauge Slug

Blackpowder28

Hunted New York (7R) for the first time last year and decided to buy a slug gun. I bought the Savage 220 20 gauge after much research. I put a 2-7x Leupold shotgun scope on it. Most forums recommended the Remington Accutips. I took it to the range late Spring and shot a few different slugs at 50 yards and was very impressed with the gun and Accutips. My 3 shot groups had 2 holes. When it starts to cool off I will spend more time and shoot at 100 yards also. The combo seems like a winner.

Anyone else shoot the 220 and/or Accutips??

Any input is appreciated.

Blackpowder28

I took a doe at 178 paces a few years back (open field with a solid rest)..   I shoot 3" Federal slugs..

amazing how accurate this shotgun is..   A friend that is a retired military guy, shot a 3 shot clover leaf group at 100 yards...    He was shocked that a shotgun could be so accurate..

• Like 1

with the 3 inch federals, I have never had to track a deer....    the don't go far from point of impact...   I have shot probably 10 deer with my 220, with the 3" Federals and have not tracked 100 yards total.   Shot placement is important, but it is with any weapon you are using.

I tried Hornady SST's, Federal Fusions, and Accutips. My gun loves the 2 3/4 Accutips...the 3 inchers didn't group. The Savage owners Manuel recommended the Accutips also.

The Accutips are sometimes hard to find so I buy them when I see them. Currently I have 20 boxes and have paid between $12.25 to $15.99 a box. Call me crazy BUT I  have been burned by Remington with other ammo where they stopped production on certain ammo.