How does a newbie pick a deer gun?

left field

I have very limited experience and have only really shot a few rifles one afternoon. I have a basic understanding of calibres at best and no experienced hunters to advise me.

I don't plan on deer hunting this year though I have been going through the motions of clearing stands on my Catskills property, cutting shooting lanes, putting up cameras and scouting just to get my head around what I will need to do for next year. I may let a bow hunter use my stands this year.

So, how does someone with no experience or mentors wade through the multitude of options? Gun shops are great, but they seem limited in what they have on hand and I don't want to get it wrong. Are there ranges that let you rent a wide variety of firearms?

Thanks.

Handle (and shoot if you can) several.  I think ny hunter meant to say was that you do not need a canon.  There are some ranges that allow you to rent and try so you can handle different ones.  Find the one that you like the feel of and can handle the recoil.

Thanks. All good and straightforward advice. 

Yes, I could visit a gun shop, but without actually shooting the rifle it seems a bit of a crap shoot. The best solution seems to be a rentable range - does anyone have a recommendation for a range near NYC or heading upstate toward the Western Catskills?

And let me dumb this down even more ... is there a recommended deer calibre for a newbie? Articles I've read are all over the pace. Once I clarify that, my decision may be easier.

Leftfield,

I too had limited experience with firearms so I did what most of my fellow hunters have recommended to you is to shoot different calibers and see how they feel. I was fortunate to have the benefit of both my brother in laws and my father in law who have been hunting for some 30 + years and own several different calibers. After shooting their firearms,  I ended up going to Campsite Sport Shop in Huntington, NY where after picking the salesperson's brain for what seemed like hours, I bought a used Remington 710 chambered in 30-06. I've shot several deer with the rifle and it will always be my go-to firearm. Over the last 8 years I've since purchased various different caliber firearms for myself and my son. At this point its just a matter of preference as to what firearm I choose depending on where on my property I will be hunting and for what, i.e. deer, yote, etc. 

As far as what caliber you should choose, you have not provided any information as far as the size of the property you will be hunting on, whether it consists of thick woods or open fields. These should be factors in determining the caliber of the rifle that would work best for you and your situation. 

As you continue to learn all about firearms and hunting, as I have from my family, hands on experience as well as from this forum, you too will eventually develop a preference for a particular firearm that suits you the best. Good luck!

Edited by Deerthug

Every fall Dicks, Gander and others always have sales on ammo, 30-06, 308, 270, 243, and 30-30.  These I find always available.  Now there's a ton of other great calibers, but I would stick with one of those. I personally have and like the 30-06.  Now I say this because here in this great state you may not always find what you want and it might be hard to get.  I have a Remington 760 pump rifle bought new in 1971, in 30-06. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the same damn gun love it.  Now bolt action rifles are the most popular, and one thing I can say is they are easier to clean.  Good luck in your "hunt" for that rifle.

• Like 2

After 50+ years of deer hunting I had just about every type of rifle action and caliber that is out there and still have many. It boils down to where you are going to hunt most of the time.If it is on your own property ,which you say is in the Catskills ,And  Unless it was farm land and farmed until you bought it , It is overgrown with trees.If you have Nothing as of yet ,Think about a Shotgun or a MZ loader ,You can use both on Long Island and up here in the Catskills. And you can use the MZ loader Now for early Bear and at the end of the hunting season for Deer also. As for a rifle in the Catskills I would read some of posts that Buckmaster7600 has made and think about a shorter barreled pump or semi auto rifle . Caliber anything from a .22 to a 50mm will kill a deer .  As said before go to the stores  and try as many as you can an see what is most comfortable to you.And that the sights or scope come right up to you at your shooting position.

I like thphm;s idea on the muzzle loader. Dang things, shoot like a rifle and as he said, allow you early bear, extra hunting at the end of regular gun season for deer, and able to use it in the Catskills and on LI  It's my go to all regular season. I can use rifle where I hunt but shots are never that far any how. Also agree on Buckmaster7600's idea on a shorter barreled rifle. Good luck on your research and shooting on whatever you may choose.

Thanks. 

To clarify, I'm considering a bolt action over any other, though a lever would be fine. I prefer wood and steel over composite. Used is fine, as I like tradition. I'm left handed.

Hunting area is typical Catskills mixed hardwood - maple, beech, cherry, birch, poplar, and hornbeam, A lot of bramble due to some poor logging management. I would say there's no clear shot past 50 metres. But it holds everything - bear, deer, coyote, turkey, coon, porcupine, grouse and woodcock. And one fisher.

For what it's worth, the fellow I bought the land from used a .308. I also appreciate that I can pick up any gun and accommodate it. So I guess what I'm hoping for is a short list to start with and then do the hands-on research. Then again, as thphm just suggested, maybe a ML is a good way to start - inexpensive and simple. 

If anyone has an idiot's primer on calibre, I'd appreciate the link. Haven't found anything yet. 

I shoot Left handed also , And only own 1 left handed bolt action rifle and have no problem shooting a Right handed bolt action rifle which I have many of.

Caliber , It is like the old Chevy. Vis. Ford thing in racing. There have been many posts on here as to What is the best caliber for deer, you will hear so many replies on this you will just get confused.It just boils down to what you are comfortable shooting.

4 hours ago, left field said:

So, how does someone with no experience or mentors wade through the multitude of options?

There's the dimemna, dude!

Choose a caliber. A 243 is the smallest commonly suggested caliber to hunt deer and it'll kill deer every time. Not an ideal all around rifle for any big game larger than a deer. Oh yeah, low recoil too. A 300 Win Mag will blow a hole thru a deer, kill bear and moose but it'll beat up your shoulder at the same time. Do your research on suggested calibers. Lot of ballistic info on the web to check out, Go to your closest or favorite sporting goods store and see what ammo is readily available. Went thru this exercise recently, chose a ideal caliber for my needs (7mm-08), but looking at the shelf of ammo at the local Dick's I found out it wasn't readily available. Back-up choice.....

Choose a mfger & rifle model. Lots of reviews on all rifles, but they are widely varied. For a 1st time buyer, you can get a decent rifle package (rifle & scope) in the ~$400 range. More inexpensive rifles closer to the $300 range are inexpensive because they include a crappy scope. If you don't like the scope that's included you may have to spend an additional ~$150 for a decent rifle scope. For a 1st time buyer, wouldn't suggest jumping in whole hog. Plenty of great rifles in the ~$600+ range and superior scopes for ~$250+, lot of $$ up front when you aren't really sure you'll like rifle hunting. Go to your favorite sporting goods store and handle a lot of different rifles. Once something jumps out at you as a nice handling &/or good looking rifle, the dilemma is to find one in the caliber you had chosen. You can buy any make, model, caliber rifle on the web fairly reasonable (gun auctions), but they need to be shipped to a federal licensed dealer costing you an additional $25-50 on top of the cost of the rifle. Don't take my word, this gun law may have changed for NY.

Once you get your new toy - shoot it, a lot! If you're not familiar with fine tuning or zeroing-in a scope, sure someone would help you out! BTW - Most rifle packages come bore sighted, which  means your 1st shots will probably be on the paper target. A gross alignment of the scope with fine tuning required by shooting. Not sure about other times of the year, but there are some great rebates available now from a lot of rifle mfgers.

BTW - Like Deerthug mentioned, how you plan on hunting also comes into play. No sense getting a rifle that'll shoot 300yrds+ if on your property the longest shot you can make is 100yrds.

Good luck.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

Thanks. 

To clarify, I'm considering a bolt action over any other, though a lever would be fine. I prefer wood and steel over composite. Used is fine, as I like tradition. I'm left handed.

Hunting area is typical Catskills mixed hardwood - maple, beech, cherry, birch, poplar, and hornbeam, A lot of bramble due to some poor logging management. I would say there's no clear shot past 50 metres. But it holds everything - bear, deer, coyote, turkey, coon, porcupine, grouse and woodcock. And one fisher.

For what it's worth, the fellow I bought the land from used a .308. I also appreciate that I can pick up any gun and accommodate it. So I guess what I'm hoping for is a short list to start with and then do the hands-on research. Then again, as thphm just suggested, maybe a ML is a good way to start - inexpensive and simple. 

If anyone has an idiot's primer on calibre, I'd appreciate the link. Haven't found anything yet. 

Being a lefty myself I can tell you that it adds a wrench in the gears. Lefty bolts can be hard to find and nearly impossible to find used.

Owning a few of them if I had to give you 1 rifle to look at it would be a CVA hunter in 308 or 7mm-08. These are a single shot and are very inexpensive although excellent quality and a company that has one of the best customer services I have ever had to deal with. These rifles can be bought with a scope for under 300$ and are extremely high quality. Being new to hunting a single shot will make you take your time because you don't have the security of a back up round. In all reality a second shot is very easy with a single shot as most of the time a second shot is on a down deer that is still trying to get up.

If you have to have a bolt I'm a big fan of Ruger Americans, not perfect but damn good in that price range. If your budget is high enough tikka makes the best bolt rifles for under 1000$ in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Firing Line in Pearl River, use to rent guns for their indoor target range. Not sure if they are still in business.

If they are, the entrance is a little odd to find, it is a side-door by Dollar General that goes into the basement.

Not sure about renting but Davis Sports in Goshen, NY has a range for pistol-shotgun-rifle up to 100 yards.

They sell new and used firearms.

If you plan on hunting just deer and bear, rifle is fine. but if thinking about small game and/or birds too, then you need a shotgun.  You can get a single-shot combo (one rifled barrel and one smooth bore) where you just swap out the barrel, use same the same stock.  A good rifled bull-barrel 20 ga. magnum with a scope can shoot 120 yards accurately.  Note: bull barrel is heavier, but reduces the recoil.

My dad has dropped many deer with his H&R 20 ga. mag. single-shot shotgun. Most were 80-140 yards out.

Per your question about if there is a beginner caliber.....nonono.

I think you are heading in the right direction though. as prev. mentioned, you do not need a cannon. A rifle In the 30 caliber range is fine: 30-30, .308, 30-06  or .270. They are probably the most common rounds in the north east. 30-30 is  totally appropriate, ,but more of a short to mid range gun, frequently open sighted. (lever actions). the others are all found in bolt actions. the 30-06 offers tremendous variety in bullet weights and purpose, the .270 started out as a 30-06 "wildcat", looking for a flatter shooting round. The .308 basically is a modernization of the '06,with a shorter case, They all have very similar baliistics (folks will argue this on the high and low range of the bullet wts, but overall). I favor the .308 for the shorter, thus lighter actions it comes in.There are ALOT of bolt actions very reasonably priced nowadays, probably cant go wrong with any of them.

8 hours ago, left field said:

I have very limited experience and have only really shot a few rifles one afternoon. I have a basic understanding of calibres at best and no experienced hunters to advise me.

I don't plan on deer hunting this year though I have been going through the motions of clearing stands on my Catskills property, cutting shooting lanes, putting up cameras and scouting just to get my head around what I will need to do for next year. I may let a bow hunter use my stands this year.

So, how does someone with no experience or mentors wade through the multitude of options? Gun shops are great, but they seem limited in what they have on hand and I don't want to get it wrong. Are there ranges that let you rent a wide variety of firearms?

Thanks.

Cut through all the BS and get a 7mm-08 Remington (chamber) in either a Tikka, Remington,Savage etc....

It'll do anything you want, in NYS and 95% off ALL (ALL) hunting in gthe lower 48.

I am hardly an expert deer hunter, the last deer i took was just over 20 years ago when i would go out with my grandfather.  However, this year my son wanted to "upgrade" from small game to deer.  He specifically wants me to cook a venison roast ;)

Anyway, to the point... He shoots a 30-06 Rueger American and I just picked up a Remington 783 chambered in .270.  Years ago i used one of my grandfathers .243s.  All of those will kill a dear just enough... not too much and not too little... just perfectly dead.

The Remington i got at Cabela's on sale for $299 with a $40 mail in rebate.  The scope is a generic 3-9x40 but you can't beat an entry level rifle for $260 plus tax!  and .270 ammo ranges from $14 per 20 rounds to $40 per 20 rounds.  30-06 you are going to average just over $1 per shot.  (good reason to get into reloading)