Cold weather Coats

So I have yet another question from my father that doesn't like these "forum" type website, but doesn't mind me asking everyone on here for their opinion LOL.

Anyway, he is looking at a new heavy coat for cold weather. Seeing as I have Under Armor hoodies that are ridiculously warm, I told him to look at the UA hunting jackets. He says if he is going to spend that kind of money, he wanted some opinions from people who actually bunt in NY state. He isn't sure how they can really be that warm and be so thin. 

Anyone on here use them? And if not, what do u wear for the cold weather stand hunt?

I wear under Armour as base layers but my heavy coat is whitetail extreme. I believe it is from cabelas several years ago. It works great since I don't like the cold.

I have the whitetail extreme pants too. It was a set for like $600-$700 if I remember correctly. They are Goretex too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you mention UA  I was just on their website as our UA rep for non hunting clothes is here now. Even at below cost I'm not all that intrigued by any of their stuff. Reviews are fair and why the neon green logos/zippers and such !? Check out Cabela's or Gander Mtn. Was at Cabela's the other day and Gander last night. Both had decent sales And I am a fan of UA long underwear. Looked at their boots and reviews were horrid. Everyone said they split first to 3rd day of use.

Oh yeah, hello from Lancaster as well

And I ideally want the coat Biz is talking about. Best reviews I've seen on a coat. Mulit layers ,waterproof and warm

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I wear wool and fleece. I hate bulk and noise. My cold weather jacket is made by beagle but they are made anymore. There are still a few real wool manufacturers out there.

Woolrich is one of them. I have a coat made by them that is very warm. I bought it nearly 30 years ago and it's still holding up!

Forget all that synthetic stuff.  Get a Woolrich coat and layer up.  Wool is waterproof (practically), warm, breathable, quiet, and even if it gets wet it's still warm. No one has managed to make a synthetic material that can do all of that and can do it as well.   

Most important thing is to dress in layers. Sitka just came out with a "white tail" hunting line. Their clothing is designed to be a layering system. You are gonna pay for it though. They do however put their clothing through rigorous testing before releasing it to market, and I have heard nothing but good things about their clothing. 

Do not compare ( all you younger people ) to people your fathers or as me ( who might be old enough to be your grandfather) It's just a part of getting old . You Just Get Colder Faster and Stay Cold Longer. It requires good quality clothing to stay warm and dry. 1'st think base layer, mid layer and outer layer. If you are going to post in one place all day, Don't walk to that spot with every thing on ( you will just sweat ) and that will make you cold all day.Carry your heavy outer gear in a back pack. Extra sox , change them after you get to your spot, your feet will stay warmer longer with a fresh pair of sox. I am a big fan of Wool outer wear. There many companies as the ones mentioned before , if you want to spend a little more there is King of the Mountian , also Indian Desighn both pricey but have many options.

On 9/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I wear wool and fleece. I hate bulk and noise. My cold weather jacket is made by beagle but they are made anymore. There are still a few real wool manufacturers out there.

Filson and Johnson Woolen Mills in VT come to mind and have excellent wool hunting coats, last you a lifetime.  

I did hear the "beagle" line was great.

I am weaning off my King of the Mountain as much of the latest stuff is made outside US, in mexico and falls apart. Keeping the old pants, jacket and very versatile wool hooded sweat coat tho'.

Herasy, but I do use a noisey camo coat that I get for $79 at Dicks in frigid weather for stand hunting. I think it's the field and stream one, but exceptionally warm as it is an excellent wind breaker.  But did I say it's noisy?

I'd probably go with a Johnson Woolen Mills coat with a hood.  I still hunt in their "Benoit" shirt jacket and it's perfect. Extra  front pocket for GPS or radio and inside back pockest for lunch, dry socks, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...