2 guns on a hunt

Borngeechee

I know when doing an out of state hunt that it's makes sense to carry a back up rifle, but does anyone do it for an in state hunt? Like one locked in your vehicle just in case you drop your main rifle and knock the scope loose or something. Or would you just call that day a wash?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

This was not an out of state hunt ,it was on a co op area ( very large area ) now closed to the public for hunting. People from all of the sorounding states would come here to hunt.There was a buck 10 pointer tall tines and thick with a big body that 5 hunter that I know of had missed because of firearm failure including myself,ever since then  I do bring a back up rifle even on my own property.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I agree about the hand gun I never go in the woods without 1 ever since I came across bear tracks .......

yup, load that six shooter up with some full house hard cast lead flat nose rounds and it's a 2 lb confidence booster on your hip.  I even think the state should let us wear them bow and muzz season just for the reason of a bear encounter.  Statistically black bears attack humans way more often than browns and grizz's do.  There was a great article in the American Hunter about that in a study that the Alaska DNR did a few years back.  

Edited by eagle rider
  • Like 1

When I travel to a hunting location (out of state or country ) I always bring a second gun and on two occasions that decision saved my hunt. As far as two weapons in woods I only carry one. Bow hunting I just have my bow n arrows, I've bow hunted in bear country both grizzly and black bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, LJC said:

One weapon only back up is knife for me .

I think that's enough to make old smokey back off if it came down to that hopefully never néed to find out .

cubed sow feeling motherly,..... nice knowing you.

Edited by eagle rider
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eagle rider said:

cubed sow feeling motherly,..... nice knowing you.

I'm 6'2 270 

Old smokey not going to take me out so easily especially when I stick that knife in his neck . Probably get all cut up in the process but I think I would survive if it came to that hope to god I never have to test that theory lol  

• 2 weeks later...

I used to carry a handgun while rifle hunting, but long ago realized it was dead wt. Any rifle I carry has power far in excess of the .44 or .357 I carried, and was already in my hand.

I hunt mainly out of my camp, so I usually have two rifles: my main scoped hunting rifle, then a lighter carbine for woods walking, scouting.

This year I am hunting with my Krag Jorgenson mainly, so I have a newer vintage rifle if it is really nasty out.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:36 PM, LJC said:

I'm 6'2 270 

Old smokey not going to take me out so easily especially when I stick that knife in his neck . Probably get all cut up in the process but I think I would survive if it came to that hope to god I never have to test that theory lol  

apparently you didn't see the movie Revenant

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

apparently you didn't see the movie Revenant

Successfully fighting off a bear with a knife is extremely low on my list of things I'm confident I could accomplish and extremely high on my list of things I never want to try.

Hunt with a pump or semi shotgun or an AR chambered in 308 and you'll have no problem taking down any charging bear :taunt:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Core said:

Successfully fighting off a bear with a knife is extremely low on my list of things I'm confident I could accomplish and extremely high on my list of things I never want to try.

Hunt with a pump or semi shotgun or an AR chambered in 308 and you'll have no problem taking down any charging bear :taunt:

That's exactly what I would be  using  for bear Simi shotgun.  Or my Simi 3006 . The knife I always have on me .  Weapon of last resort.  One time was hunting in a area that don't let you hunt bear just deer one poped out of the woods about 150  yards away walking  across the hill I was hunting on .  I just watch as It walked by at first I thought I was hallucinating  never seen a black bear in the woods before my first thought was somebody's  big black dog got loose lol 

Its shocking seeing one when your not expecting it .

I always bring extra guns.  One for hiking/stalking and still hunting, 44 Mag, one for long distance shooting, 30-06 and the 30-30.  If one gets dropped any of the other 2 will work.  My preference is the open sights with the 44 mag.  Up close and personal it's my go-to weapon.  

A 2nd long gun to save a days hunt is a good idea.  Many things can go wrong with a firearm that can spoil you day of hunting if you don't have another one along.

BTW, Carrying a handgun for protection against bears when you have a rifle or shotgun already in your hands, seems foolish.  If you can't stop a bear with your rifle or shotgun, that handgun isn't going to do it for you either.