Great Bear Skinning/Dressing/Quartering Video

Jafo

I have never done much real bear hunting in my time and have yet to see one when in the field, however, this year they are EVERYWHERE in the area I hunt.  I have had more bear on my trail cams than deer.  One of the rangers around here said he has had more sightings and nuisance reports than he can ever remember this year.  I have already made my mind up to hunt them as much as possible this year, starting with this early bear weekend opening.  To brush up on hide preparation, I was searching youtube and came across this video from a couple of rangers in Colorado.  They did a really good job.  I thought I would pass it on:

• Like 3

I "tubed" the ones I got with the help of a friend. It leaves you all options for either a mount or a rug since there is no long cut. Hang by feet, cut from ankle to ankle, and take the hide off like a sweater right down to the nose. It takes a while but I think it's worth it especially if you do a full mount

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

He might make 150 dressed. 150 -200 will be the average sized bear taken. the ones we have gotten were "tubed" as well. Just as described above. We did them hanging once the rear feet were trimmed. At that point we turn inside out. Salt heavily. then salt some more. and when you think you have enough, add more salt. (if you want to save the hide) I lost one due to temps and the hair slipped.  bacteria breeds in that fat like gang busters and it is so well insulated it is about impossible to cool quickly enough. So if you are going after bear and want the fur for some purpose, plan ahead. 

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My taxidermist wanted to trim the feet and head himself. we cut skin to the wrist and took the feet off whole, same to the base of the skull. 

Mine would have beaten me with the carcass lol. Hes a friend that basically does the work to pay for alaska trips every few years but he does a beautiful job. The standing bear was 240lbs (Fall), he looks like a stick. I wish I had him done differently. The other was 308lbs (Spring) and made PY. I chose that mouth open head because on his way in he paused several times and opened his mouth like he was "tasting the air", not for aggression

PICT0017.JPG

PICT0015.JPG

100_1863.JPG

100_1862.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 4:04 PM, Cabin Fever said:

Interesting! Thanks for posting. Having never seen it done myself, I just assumed it would just be hung up like a deer and skinned. Learned something new today!

I would love to get a bear someday!

a lot of guys field skin and quarter because they're usually bigger than deer and also they're a bag of jello with nothing to grab on to. I've watched the video above a few times now before i saw you posted it. If i'm successful with a bear and it's not easy to get out to camp where i can take my time, this is what i'm doing.