Licking branch help

Zag

So I found this scrape after we purchased the additional land adjoining us a few yrs back and found this scrape in January after we closed. Its been used every yr since but this guy took it out last yr. Is it as simple as tying another branch to it or do I need to doll it up to?

EK000099.JPG

I go to a spot I know who owns it but do to location I can't hunt it and find a row of scrapes and take a couple licking branches and some dirt. I do this early prerut when they start getting hit so the branch and dirt have fresh smells. I have had very good luck.

• Like 3

I'm actually going to snip a licking branch off another scrape sight on property line I hunt and add to my mock scrape I put up with little interest so far. I'll wear gloves , ziplock it and zip tie it to my inferior scrape. Can't hurt I guess. We'll see tomorrow when checking cams , maybe I won't need to. 

• Like 1

Zag: I've been taking branches off scrapes and zip-tying them now for quite a few years and have hundreds of photos and video clips of bucks and does working the all important overhanging branch.  Lots of experiments...some good results and some disasters. Disaster when the scrape goes dead. You have a great spot there. But it is easy to screw it up.  Trust me. I would replicate the branch as close as possible with height and shape of the end being the most critical. Cut the same species, nail it, wire it, or zip-tie it on the tree. I do not use ground lures or pee in the scrape as others do. (Best way for me to kill a scrape is for me to pee in it.) When working on a scrape that takes some time (like putting up the whole branch) use gloves and minimize your time there. If you are enhancing it down the road, by zip-tying a mobile licking branch, you do not need to use gloves because our scent evidently dissipates quickly while the pheromones and saliva are truly the gift that keeps giving. But I transport the branches in a plastic bag. Hope this helps . Got these two the other night at two branches.

9.11.16 nice 8 at branch .JPG

9.11.16 wide 6 pt. at branch .JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Really glad this came up. Im going out tomorrow after work to set up 1 or 2 licking branch/ mock scrapes in a food plot and outside of a sanctuary. Would be a first time for me. 

Depending on what branches/trees are available i will either screw an existing one and hang it over the plot or use rope to pull some branches down. and def put a cam up over both. Not going to use any deer scent either

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Really glad this came up. Im going out tomorrow after work to set up 1 or 2 licking branch/ mock scrapes in a food plot and outside of a sanctuary. Would be a first time for me. 

Depending on what branches/trees are available i will either screw an existing one and hang it over the plot or use rope to pull some branches down. and def put a cam up over both. Not going to use any deer scent either

Cool. Can't wait to see the bucks and does you have. The licking branch set up is a great way to access not only the resident deer, but also those "floaters" that hit our properties every once in a while. These travelers can't resist leaving their "two scents" at the community message board.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phade said:

The dirt would be easier to exchange. It's not just urine in the soil.

Right, I agree it is not just the urine in the soil. I think it is mainly the drool and saliva that falls off the branch which they will smell once in a while on a visit. I believe that when they defecate in the scrape, and sometimes when they urinate, it is just because they are there at the licking branch, and they don't want to move. They are not adding attractant or message scent to the scrape. Some bucks in the peak of the rut have strings of drool and saliva run in streams down on the ground scrape. The saliva is what is full of pheromones and chemical messages, not urine. 

Cool. Can't wait to see the bucks and does you have. The licking branch set up is a great way to access not only the resident deer, but also those "floaters" that hit our properties every once in a while. These travelers can't resist leaving their "two scents" at the community message board.
I didn't get a chance to get out there yet. Busy with work and family. Hopefully this weekend while I'm out there. Put one or 2 within bow range of a stand as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

It's entertaining to watch both bucks and does come into the licking branch setup. I have found that over the years, does will really pound them in the early going. But as the peak of the rut approaches, the hot scrapes seem to turn into "buck things." Does are not as interested in them as they were in early October.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, phade said:

It's not just urine in the soil.

Agreed.

I don't think a lot of guys even realize deer have glands between their hooves that they use to communicate with. (interdigital glands)

I'd bet that has something to do with all the scratching and the pawing ritual under the branch as well.... but I can't say EXACTLY what.

When a buck tests a scrape and discovers a hot doe is in the area, it just becomes a matter of following in her footsteps until he catches up to her and the chase is on.

Pretty sure they're not just following trails of doe piss through the woods for miles when they put their noses to the ground and single out that one hot  doe from the rest of the herd.

That's my own personal belief anyhow, without any scientific evidence to back it up.

• Like 1