1898 30-40 Krag

So after many years in the family my dad (92 years old ) passed on his rifle to me. He's killed a lot of deer with it. Brothers as well including a moose in Canada. He asked me to shoot a deer with it this year. I'll be busy trying to shoot one with this , ml , .44 mag super Blackhawk. He told me many years ago how we was hunting in PA Watching a nice buck ascend a hill. Figured he'll wait to buck reaches top so he doesn't have to drag said buck up the hill as that's the way he's heading. Shot buck as it crested hill only to have it dead roll back down the hill , lol. Never once has the gun been fired more than once at a time at a deer. Bang , flop. I hope to continue its journey and then to my daughter. Any knowledge or info on this rifle I'd love to hear about it. Ramp sights are neat Happy to finally have it in the safe and looking forward to posting a pic in the harvest thread this year. 3dd2e92bd8ef24339fdc03a00a48ab71.jpgfdb971fffeaa377f42f11ddbeca9b771.jpg990c58ffa094313fe3b99f8748421f86.jpg7cd189d7aecb5a112a0a800b193e553b.jpg

• Like 8

A fine heirloom, TF....

The military stock has been sporterized, but the metal hasn't been  altered, as far as I can see...How long is the barrel ?  Unless it's 30 inches the barrel has been cut down and possibly the front sight replaced.

It looks like a fine old warhorse...I hope you kill a deer or two with it this year.

It is a fine chambering for whitetails...The power level is about midway between a 30-30 and a 30-06....

• Like 1

A fine heirloom, TF....

The military stock has been sporterized, but the metal hasn't been  altered, as far as I can see...How long is the barrel ?  Unless it's 30 inches the barrel has been cut down and possibly the front sight replaced.

It looks like a fine old warhorse...I hope you kill a deer or two with it this year.

It is a fine chambering for whitetails...The power level is about midway between a 30-30 and a 30-06....

Just measured. From back of where shell will be seeded to end of barrel it's 36.5 ". Thank you for making me open safe again and to put this beauty into my hands again. Going to do everything I can to put some deer on the ground with it this year. Pop at 92 , not sure how many years of healthy life he's got left. Want to make him proud. But I'll have to repeat myself as he's hard of hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Sounds like it still has it's original 30" BBL and probably it's original front sight...

Be sure to shoot it off the bench a few to establish the correct point of aim..Many military rifles  with the rear sight at the lowest seeting shoot several inches high at 100 yards.  This is the " battle sight" and is designed so that you could hold mid- body on a man from 100-300 yards and still hit him somewhere in the torso.  At woods ranges for deer it is not a big issue as long as you hold fairly low on the ribcage... The important thing is learning where your point of impact is at the ranges you expect to shoot..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I was wrong I just did a little research and it sounds like ammo is getting hard to find with Remington only making it seasonal. Keep the brass and buy it all when you find it. Unless I'm mistaking you can make 30-40 krag brass from 303 brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never once had a problem getting ammo for mine.  Gander Mountain stocks it, Dicks stocks it, I know at least 2 local gunshops who stock it and you always got sportsmans guide to boot.

Its a great flat shooting gun, I remember on the farm dad and grampa picking woodchucks off with it 300 plus yards with the iron sights.  Like said already its power level is between 30-30 and the 30.06.  Great gun, hunt it proudly.

• Like 1

The Peters ammo is probably the oldest stuff there.  I'd use that first at the range and if none of it misfires, hunt with it too.  I always use up the oldest stuff first, because the older it gets, the less reliable it gets.  The brass can be used to reload new rounds too.

• Like 2

I don't believe the Super X is older.  It's a white box which was Winchester Super X ammo.  The yellow box in the chart was Western Super X which was older ammo made prior to the switch in branding.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winchester+30-40+super+x+box&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=654&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio-aT125bPAhWMaT4KHWZgBwIQsAQIGw&dpr=1#imgrc=_

14 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I don't believe the Super X is older.  It's a white box which was Winchester Super X ammo.  The yellow box in the chart was Western Super X which was older ammo made prior to the switch in branding.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winchester+30-40+super+x+box&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=654&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio-aT125bPAhWMaT4KHWZgBwIQsAQIGw&dpr=1#imgrc=_

I'm thinking that box is just faded, could be wrong.......looked to me like the original yellow was still preserved under the price sticker.........maybe turkeyfeathers can post a photo of the front of the box because now I'm curious.

Edited by jjb4900