1898 30-40 Krag

In last year I got confirmation that my dad was in WW II. Always suspected but never knew for sure. My older siblings knew but said he's always been quiet about it. Once told one of them he didn't want to talk about it. I won't pry but pretty sure he carried this rifle in the war. Sorta wish the gun could talk , where dad was etc. But maybe I'm also better off not knowing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a few years back I took my Grandfather's old Parker double that I was given and killed a deer with it using an old slug with a paper hull.....pretty cool to say the least.

That's awesome ! I've got a Parker in the safe It's a safe queen , dad used to hunt grouse with it. Dad used to say those paper shells would swell up at times. You had to find a nice long straight stick to ram rod it out of the bore to breech.

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That's awesome ! I've got a Parker in the safe It's a safe queen , dad used to hunt grouse with it. Dad used to say those paper shells would swell up at times. You had to find a nice long straight stick to ram rod it out of the bore to breech.

the one I got was a workhorse, it was actually originally my Great Grandfathers and has seen a lot of use......far from a safe queen.

7 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

the one I got was a workhorse, it was actually originally my Great Grandfathers and has seen a lot of use......far from a safe queen.

This one has killed a boat load of birds but lack of birds now it hasn't been out in many years. Dad went 41 for 82 on grouse one of the last years he hunted. Pheasants were everywhere back then too.  Brothers would come home from school and dad would take them out basically across the street . Now it's a school and housing development for decades. Just wish I could have gotten a taste of the good ole days 

Very doubtful that any US Krags saw any use in WWII.   They are Spanish American War vintage..Some saw duty in fighting Phiilpino guerillas  shortly after the turn of the 20th century, but the Krag actually saw a short period as the standard US battle rifle...It was replaced in 1903 by the '03 Springfield, which was basically a variant of the Mauser and was superior to the Krag, both in it's cartridge and other features, such as clip loading rather than the Krag's slower magazine loading with loose cartridges.

Many OLDER battle rifles were used in WWII because there were not enough M1 Garands ( adopted in 1936) to go around, but they were mostly 1903 Springfields or variants thereof, or 1917 "Enfields", which chambered the same round as the M1 (30-06) and were superior battle rifles to the Krag.

• Like 1

Two years ago I bought a Krag very similar to yours at a local auction. The auction was for a pioneering family in our area, and the Krag original to the family, early 1900s. It excites me to think of its history for the area. I sighted her in with the same new 180 grainers you have, and she shot just fine.

I am planning on using it as my primary rifle this year. Good for you. I am planning on reloading the 30-40 once I get enough empties.

• Like 2

Try for a shoulder shot as a double lung hit with the 180 gr bullets will likely result in a dead animal that will run several hundred yards. The bullets loaded are the same bullets that would be loaded in a 30-06. The Mv of the Krag will be several hundred FPS slower resulting in less expansion & over penetration. The Krag has plenty of energy. The problem is getting that energy dissipated within the animal. The factory loads are more akin to what you would want in an elk round, not a lightly constructed whitetail.

Try to break some bones. Aim right at the shoulder.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Dang. That's a Krag alright. Going to shoot mine tomorrow at 50 yards to get a feel for her. Looking forward to carrying her in the woods. And front shoulder it is. Thanks for the info

One of your biggest challenges is going to be the horrid military rear sight. If you have really good eyes you'll be OK but it is more attuned to shooting on the rifle range rather than in the woods.

Keep your eyes peeled for either e Redfield or Pacific receiver sight. Either can be installed W/O altering the receiver.

I got lucky when a Pacific K-2 sight turned up on e-bay just as I was looking for options.

Your Krag has ample energy to kill a deer at any range that you can reliably hit with tron sights.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 10:10 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Dang. That's a Krag alright. Going to shoot mine tomorrow at 50 yards to get a feel for her. Looking forward to carrying her in the woods. And front shoulder it is. Thanks for the info

Kind of curious how the old Krag did at the range.

On ‎09‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:47 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Kind of curious how the old Krag did at the range.

You nailed it sir. Them sights ain't easy to see. I have pretty good eyes and the range was well lit. At 50 yards I had a Frisbee sized 5 shot group. Under a tree canopy and low light I'd wish for the bayonet attached to try and run at them . I'd like to keep the gun all original so I may try some White out on the front post which I can always just wipe off later on. Not as much thump on it as I supposed. Barely  put the first round on paper as I flinched awaiting the recoil, lol.

Here ya go, a Redfield receiver sight that uses the side-plate screw to mount. No drilling. It can be R&R'ed W/O losing zero.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Redfield-Steel-Receiver-Peep-Sight-102K-No-Drill-Part-for-a-Krag-/282193778944?hash=item41b40f5900:g:ToQAAOSw8w1X6FGU

The rear military sight can be removed & the Reciever sight installed for hunting, then switch back after season.

• Like 1

Here are some of the Pacific sights that don't have the micrometer adjustments. IMO these would be better than the Redfield.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1472212618

You might want to register on that site if you would like to learn some more about your Krag.

These sights slide into the magazine cut-off hole. I have the K-2 micrometer version on mine.

8 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Here are some of the Pacific sights that don't have the micrometer adjustments. IMO these would be better than the Redfield.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1472212618

You might want to register on that site if you would like to learn some more about your Krag.

These sights slide into the magazine cut-off hole. I have the K-2 micrometer version on mine.

Signed up and thanks for the info and links

If you get decent sights you should be able to get around 2"- 3" groups at 100 yds if the bore & crown are decent. 

Even if the bore is worn, there is a trick to get more accuracy when the bore is worn. Some guys reload with .311 bullets made for the 303 British.

Those bullets are .003" oversize & made for the lower MVs. I've been told that in a worn bore they will work just fine W/O spiking pressure. Makes sense to me.

I sight mine in so a 6 o'clock hold on a 6" bull hits center. That makes it about 2" high at 50 yds. To be honest, that's about as far down as I can adjust the sights.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1