LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

On Sunday, October 09, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Fletch said:

Sad state of affairs, can't even see a deer. I can tell my son is a bit discouraged but toughing it out. Been in stand over 10 hours since yesterday morning. Well he's learning it ain't a given and as long as I pack enough food and hot chocolate he is good!

He made a small noise and I whispered shh you'll scare all the deer away. He cracks up yea all of them! As we both feel there has not been a deer within a mile of us in 2 days!

We need a change of scenery for evening watch

Sent from my iPhone using 

Didn't mean to quote this post but it's the only way it will clear it so when I need to actually post in this thread.

I sat for 2.5 hours this morning in 4L.  It was 30 degrees when I went out to sit at 5:45.  TONS of pre-dawn activity.  I have no idea what what causing all the noise. 

I chose a stand over a plot situated amongst some oaks, but didn't see anything from dawn until 9ish, when a doe fawn responded to a light rattle.  I hoped that other deer would pass by too, but she was alone, and I let her walk.

Might not be back in a stand until Thursday, before the next weather front.

• Like 1

I checked the garden cams a bit ago...438 on the mock scrape and 268 on the blind cam...the goat paddock turnips just 4....now you know I check these daily because the deer know I'm out there working...should have been in the stand at 1-3 and 8am dozens of doe and fawn and just that one 5pt buck...who loves the camera...Wish my head wasn't pounding just walking over there about killed me...

Edited by growalot

Well I took a break and came back and went to my "gun" stand. Sat for a bit and decided it is too exposed and just not alot of shooting options. So I bushwhacked my way along near some deer runs looking to see where they ended up. found a perfect tree for the stand that won't require any additional trail. Nice maple. Overlooking a trail headed out to a field. No other stands near it. And another overlooking a scrub area with a fairly heavy trail through it. The tree is at the edge of my buddy's yard. Perfect for the climber............

Other than that I definitely succeeded in throwing my scent all over in the southeast end of the land. Sitting in my plot stand for the evening and then giving it a rest for a week or two.

Glad it's only week 2 of the season.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Just got in from a satisfying morning of stand moving and dealing with the natural blind brush pile the neighbor was hunting from into my property last night. Turns out the brush pile blind was just over into my side of the line, so I tore it to pieces, razed the whole thing down to the ground. and posted the hell out of the surrounding area. Took awhile, it was mix of old vines, dead tree tops and large branches, all matted together.

Then I moved a stand into some thick stuff not too far from this same spot. I saw a buck in there last night, I suspect neighbor may have been following him. I have been meaning to try this area for a long time as it is usually a nest of rubs. However, it is right next to a deep ravine, but the deer, especially larger bucks, cross/escape out of my property at this point also. I have observed this a number of times. Now, do I hunt tonight or leave it a day or 2? Hmm...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Papist said:

Just got in from a satisfying morning of stand moving and dealing with the natural blind brush pile the neighbor was hunting from into my property last night. Turns out the brush pile blind was just over into my side of the line, so I tore it to pieces, razed the whole thing down to the ground. and posted the hell out of the surrounding area. Took awhile, it was mix of old vines, dead tree tops and large branches, all matted together.

Then I moved a stand into some thick stuff not too far from this same spot. I saw a buck in there last night, I suspect neighbor may have been following him. I have been meaning to try this area for a long time as it is usually a nest of rubs. However, it is right next to a deep ravine, but the deer, especially larger bucks, cross/escape out of my property at this point also. I have observed this a number of times. Now, do I hunt tonight or leave it a day or 2? Hmm...

No harm in hunting it tonight.  Its already scented up.  Then giving it a couple of days or more to normalize.  Just my opinion.  Going to be warm around here the next two days anyways.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, growalot said:

Guys I have been seeing a lot of 11am to 3 pm movement and a lot of 5 to 9 am... 

I've been jumping deer when I get home from whatever mid-day errand over the past week.  That's about 1-3 pm.  I really wanted to hunt the early afternoon over the plot today, but work...

Also - reads like you might need to rest up for a day or two, Grow.

• Like 1

Not exactly live from the woods. Did a morning sit in one area, tree rats was all I saw. Decided to go go head to another spot and do some midday still hunting and a bit more scouting. I have been in here before, but went to the top of the mountain.There is a shelf that I really wanted to look at about half way up but hadn't. Today, I did. I have no words for the amount of set ups someone has in a very short distance. Doesn't even seem they are set for different wind, just in good areas. Oh well, public land is what it is.

Took a break for a while and sat on a stump with some brush helping hide my chubby but.

break.jpg

2 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Heading down to my spot in an hour, just gotta find my camo flip flops and tank top.....

New stand in a transition from bedding to staging area trail.

I just made it to my stand too. Let me know if you get something I'll help drag. You'll need all the help you can get wearing flip flops. But I'm not so sure about the loin cloth

Edited by Rockspek
  • Like 1