LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

I had a mature buck grunting back at me last evening. He wasn't chasing the does but he did follow them. Rut is pretty much here!
I only had a short window to draw and shoot and he busted me drawing. DAMN!
Hunt the does folks, the bucks will soon be in tow.

31 minutes ago, pt0217 said:

I'm in a new spot this year as well. Hunted mine twice. Still trying to figure the deer patterns. Good Luck!

Thank you! I have a hard time patterning deer in my usual areas, its more of a big woods setting, no farms, they arent used to people either i dont think, so they seem to do whatever they feel like whenever, everything is so spread out.  

First snow of the year is the best! The deer seem to get all giddy and run around! Plus you can often sneak around and hunt on the ground - I learn a lot about an area doing that. Love being in the woods for the first snow.

Good luck all. Should be a great day.

• Like 1

Your right but not with 18mph winds and 28mph gusts...I've had too many close calls on calm days...and trees are dropping big time. The summers stress is now showing up. Remember that guys,especially those of you that were in more drought prone areas than us. Stressed trees can be deceiving..look healthy but snap or usually up root in an instant.

Take care and be safe...

Edited by growalot

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Best of luck! Hopefully he got enough penetration to get into the good stuff!

Maybe I'm the only one but I have shot my share of bucks in my life and I have never once counted points before shooting one. The second I see them I decide if it's a shooter or not then I'm trying to kill him. I have always found it funny how people can always tell you how many points the buck had when they wound it miss them.

Not knocking on your buddy at all and as I said I hope for a quick recovery just curious on others opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of my hunting buddies do this as well....I never have been able too. When I shot my buck on opening day last year and  said I had a buck down everyone was texting me back....How many points? I said, I have no idea but he is wide....Maybe it will be different for me this year, I am finally hunting with a good set of Binos and realize I should have had a good set of Binos a long time ago. Wouldn't have made a difference on that buck though...Never would have touched the Binos the way it unfolded...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greg54 said:

Just got home while ago, was helping my buddy Don try to find 8 point he shot earlier at my sister's property in 9a. He text me around 5 pm to tell me a spike and a button were headed toward my area, keep my eyes open. About 15 minutes later I got another text saying he just shot 8 point and it was running my way also. I looked and listened but nothing towards me. After waiting what seemed forever, he text and said he was going go down and check spot he shot it. That's where he found half broken arrow with pin drop size blood at the break point on arrow. He said he shot lil high on shoulder but said it was solid hit. We did a search but didn't see any blood or hair and said when it ran off the tail was tucked down. Going go back out in morning with daylight and do thorough search see if we can find it. He said it would have been biggest deer yet with a bow.

1026161857.jpg

Hey Greg, I live in SANBORN, if I can help let me know. 

• Like 1

I just went out to mailbox and grabbed cards...still looking for that cat...only  2 fox and one deer walking through the snow fall last night. It's been missing since Sunday from what they said...house cat just fixed...not looking hopeful.

Anyways...everything is covered in a thin layer of ice, flatted the hemp/beans and the turnips. All branches are starting to hang and limbs down everywhere...So much for that trail clearing I did yesterday. Combo ice/snow/ rain,can't get car doors opened...

13 minutes ago, growalot said:

I just went out to mailbox and grabbed cards...still looking for that cat...only  2 fox and one deer walking through the snow fall last night. It's been missing since Sunday from what they said...house cat just fixed...not looking hopeful.

Anyways...everything is covered in a thin layer of ice, flatted the hemp/beans and the turnips. All branches are starting to hang and limbs down everywhere...So much for that trail clearing I did yesterday. Combo ice/snow/ rain,can't get car doors opened...

Grow, just out of curiosity, I have seen you mention that you grow hemp numerous times. Is that grown for the deer? For Food or Cover? Or do you process it and make things out of it? You are the only person I have ever seen mention it as part of a food plot so I was just curious...

I grow the Hemp for food ,high protein count. The deer absolutely love it. Cover for it gets 6ft tall and loves climbing peas and beans. But also for the nitrogen fixing..It fixes tons of nitrogen and when cut and incorporated back improves soil tilth. I have to say...I buried some too deep and a month after I planted we got rain..it popped up out of the ground like it was on a mission. The deer have been bedding in it...now that it is flattened they will continue to bed in it  for there is still  some cover, but the thermal ground protection in that bedding will keep them in it.

• Like 2