LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Way to go Dez

Yeah, the wind won today at my stand....coming right down the gorge all day. Saw a couple small bucks early, but dead all after that. I got down from the tree at 2pm and headed up to the pines for the last few hours.  Calm winds early tomorrow and temps below freezing. Should be one of the best days so far this season!!

Had a rough day out of the woods today so I went out at 4 with crappy wind direction, stinking like you don't even want to know.  No camo, old stinky carharts, stomped into stand and had some candy that was still in it's wrappers. (and no they were not fireballs.)  The deer didn't really care as far as I could tell.  Although I didn't get a shot at any.  I saw one nice buck nose down chasing doe in circles in front of me down wind.  I had 2 doe together 50 yards downwind grazing, they walked and another doe wandered to the same place and hung out till dark.  At dark I got surrounded by doe and grunts but couldn't see any antlers and finally snuck out 10 minutes ago shivering.

Decided to go to the range instead of the woods today due to the wind. Took 8 shots and I was done. Too 3 was the first group, then he middle was the second group and finally the bottom two was the final group. Tried the 22 but it wasn't the best as the wind was blowing it all over the place. Shot the 12 gauge as well and I forgot how much harder the 12 kicks than my 06. I believe I'm all ready for gun season.

I also watched some other people when I was done and i was surprised how bad most of them were. Some brought literally hundreds of rounds and printed them all over the target. Some were bad because the rifle was new and they were just finding the right ammo for it. The pic that shows target1c1417b96db9b1af1e14b0ee4d4ad841.png00dabfa8250f2a5401f58b82be496f1f.jpga72eff3c820f527e55a80fef6cddc198.png number 2 is the guy that was next to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I went to the far south east corner of our property figuring they'd be filling down through our woods from that way.....I shot a doe from that stand last year in bow season. I had cleaned the trails the other day so the walk in was relatively quiet...(thanks to the wind filling back in) I was wearing a rut-n-buck wafer on my hat and I had one up wind of me at 10 yrds on the tail to stand. In strolled a 5 point. one of the 5 from the other day...he walked up my trail broadside at 22 yrds . Then turned and walked right to my ladder and stood a bit... just looking around...went back up the trail and stayed broadside at 25 yrds a bit turned and at the head of the stand trail 22 yrds out he just stood looking my way chewing his cud...looking around and chewing for over 10 mins. then he let me know exactly what trail they are using in and out of the neighbors golden rod and pines... perfect!

So yes I passed him for around 25 mins in all..I know I've been complaining about not getting anything...and times a ticking...but I'd rather take a doe first if not one of the older boys...That just might change before Friday..but I have yet to try to swamp stand..Tomorrow if wind allows...I may kick myself...but not quite yet...It was a great hunt.

PS ..returning home triplets were in front of the garden blind...

• Like 2

Decided to go to the range instead of the woods today due to the wind. Took 8 shots and I was done. Too 3 was the first group, then he middle was the second group and finally the bottom two was the final group. Tried the 22 but it wasn't the best as the wind was blowing it all over the place. Shot the 12 gauge as well and I forgot how much harder the 12 kicks than my 06. I believe I'm all ready for gun season.

I also watched some other people when I was done and i was surprised how bad most of them were. Some brought literally hundreds of rounds and printed them all over the target. Some were bad because the rifle was new and they were just finding the right ammo for it. The pic that shows targetimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161111%2F1c1417b96db9b1af1e14b0ee4d4ad841.png&key=00a1115d842600961b2373c5e3c9b6b58887163deeff4f24bc513bd45b75e89eimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161111%2F00dabfa8250f2a5401f58b82be496f1f.jpg&key=ba5e663e2f94e8f6383921bc1b668ec956cd9bce678adfcc3c5fa4fc09a383a8imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161111%2Fa72eff3c820f527e55a80fef6cddc198.png&key=3caf6749a725f06f47b29cfa43bd20873ae0f188191a09ad1df5da756c9548fc number 2 is the guy that was next to me.

Sure looks like Blue Mountain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

Way to go Dez

Yeah, the wind won today at my stand....coming right down the gorge all day. Saw a couple small bucks early, but dead all after that. I got down from the tree at 2pm and headed up to the pines for the last few hours.  Calm winds early tomorrow and temps below freezing. Should be one of the best days so far this season!!

I hope so!looking forward to it.only days i get are saturday and sunday if i dont have nething else going on and i have both days for morning hunt!

Headed down to 9m in morning, I have ground blind set up on friends property. Haven't been there since bow opener and hoping for some meat for the freezer. I have 3 cams set up down there and haven't checked them either in while. Hoping to see that bear on the cam again. Good luck every one that's headed out in morning! Going be in upper 20's ....brrrrrr

Things really got crazy at the end of the day! About a half hour before the end of shooting time. A big doe and fawn came in to ten yards of my natural ground blind. They were feeding but nervous . Then at high alert, looking behind me. Then off they go running up hill away from me. Being chased by a BIG 8pt. I had no shot as he was running away from me uphill! I mouth grunted him and he did stop and turn, but now he was out of range. Then a spike buck came from below and stops at 15 yards, let him go. Another buck comes from below, a half rack 8pt. let him pass as well. Now it's past shooting time and a bunch of deer are running along the top of the ridge and yet another buck runs uphill to join the chase! All the while, the wind is howling! My best hunt of the season so far! I think I know where I'll be in the morning! Saw two shooter bucks during the morning as well! I'd say the chase is on in our area! But the doe are not ready yet. Tomorrow should be real interesting !!!

• Like 10

Man that wind was brutal this afternoon. I didn't make it out in the woods as I had to be to work at 5. But I was outside trying to jump start my wife's SUV before I left for work. Not sure how the battery died. It's only 2 years old with 30k. Shouldn't have a bad battery already. Will investigate that more over the weekend.

But my boss did come over and went out and sat in one of my stands for the evening hunt and saw nothing lol. I told him I doubt he would see much today with the crazy high winds. My property is basically a big flat area on top of a hill so we get whipped by the wind hardcore as it comes sailing in over the catskill mountains. My deer seem to move off my place and down into the valley below my house onto the neighbor when the winds get going like that.

I'll be in the woods in the morning for a couple hours. 12 hour shift tonight and another one tomorrow starting at 5pm so I'll be in from 530-9. Need to catch a few hours sleep before work. Will be at it all day Sunday though! Good luck this weekend everyone. Should be a good one!